• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
I think if anything consistency should be used. So in the case of even a flashback I would think "..." should be used for the main character.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
Yeah, thats what i thought too, having a silent hero.
Thanks for the tip off, lol,
Now i know just what i have to do and what kind of script to come up with because at first i was torn out between talking or non-talking so i can script first as both scripts ended up diffirently..xD..
Thanks guys.
-----------
crimson stardust

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I was just wondering: Does anyone know how to change where you start the game? As in, Celadon instead of Pallet town?
Use the Simple Questions (Emulation > Beginners Lounge) thread next time.

HackMew released a tool to edit all that, look in his thread, in the Toolbox. It's called SMEA. :)

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
On the subject of the player talking, I think it's a great idea for some situations, such as Identity, Mystery Dungeon themed hacks, and super-special-awesome-plo hacks. Other than that, I'm not too fond of it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
Personally, I feel the player character should talk if the character has a significant amount of backstory or if the game/hack is very story-driven. For the regular Pokemon games, they aren't very story driven and the main character isn't some hero sent from the heavens with a mysterious past destined to save the world or anything like that. S/he's just a regular boy/girl living in a regular town. That's something that players can usually identify with which makes it easy to see that character as their in game avatar.

Once you make the player character speak, it is no longer a representation of the player and becomes a standalone character in the world of your hack/game. At that point, you have to keep player character talking consistently as well as develop the character's personality, feelings, beliefs, etc. If you can't do that, I suggest you keep the player character silent to prevent the player from seeing the player character as anything more than their in-game persona. Otherwise that character might end up boring and players might lose interest.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
Hey guys, Here a new discussion i am coming up with.
I am pondering upon whether to use fire red rom or ruby/emerald as the base rom for my hack.
IMO Ruby/emerald have much more cool features that fire red do not have but still hearing commentd from you guys will make my decision better.
And ruby and emerald is the same right?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
If you want a load of people to repeat the exact same thing in consecutive posts then I suggest you search through this thread or find the 9001 threads that were created for this topic. That question's been answered enough times as it is, we don't need it answered again.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
If you want a load of people to repeat the exact same thing in consecutive posts then I suggest you search through this thread or find the 9001 threads that were created for this topic. That question's been answered enough times as it is, we don't need it answered again.

This.

To keep this post from being marked as SPAM, I've got a little question: what's a good level range for the Elite Four (or the entire region, for that matter). For example, in Johto the Champion's highest level pokémon is Lv. 50 while in Sinnoh, the lowest level pokémon is Lv. 53 while the highest is Lv. 66. So if you were designing an Elite Four lineup, what would you cap the levels at? I'm trying to settle on a good "difficulty level".

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
This.

To keep this post from being marked as SPAM, I've got a little question: what's a good level range for the Elite Four (or the entire region, for that matter). For example, in Johto the Champion's highest level pokémon is Lv. 50 while in Sinnoh, the lowest level pokémon is Lv. 53 while the highest is Lv. 66. So if you were designing an Elite Four lineup, what would you cap the levels at? I'm trying to settle on a good "difficulty level".
Well, in my opinion, you honestly don't know until you get there. If you try and predict that your E4 is going to be around 60-65 and when you playthrough your levels are 55-58 then you're in trouble. If you want to be accurate with your levels then I think you need to make all the levels 1 then playthrough your game and, when you get to that stage, decide each E4 member's Pokémon one by one.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
That depends on the region and how much EXP you can get from it (as well as how much you can waste training up recently-caught wild Pokemon). For example, in Isshu, the E4 have teams of 45/48/48/50 each, with the endgame boss(es) at level 50-54, making it "equally hard" as Johto's Elite Four, maybe harder with the sheer power of some Pokemon and some excellent movesets.

However, in Black, my team was level 46 across the board by the time I was at the Elite Four (no grinding at all), but in HeartGold, my team was merely in their late-30's. It really depends on how the game is like (but then again, Isshu's EXP system is rigged, lol). I'd prefer a smooth curve up until the Elite Four, then a little 3-4 level jump to the actual Elite Four, so there's a little challenge.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I need opinions. My hack will have cussing so I'm wondering what people generally think of that. It won't cuss at every sentence, just mainly in the scenes with drama, violence, and the antagonists.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
I need opinions. My hack will have cussing so I'm wondering what people generally think of that. It won't cuss at every sentence, just mainly in the scenes with drama, violence, and the antagonists.

The analogy I use in my own thinking is that swearing is a garnish. Your dish won't be any less delicious without it; but a little placed here and there in the areas where it will have the most impact can enhance your hack's tone, characterization, and/or storytelling. This "garnish" should never be added frivolously - if your dish is already artfully arranged just the way it is; than even a sprinkling of parsley could be seen as distracting and unnecessary. A good "test" to do is this: if you can imagine your scene without swearing and finds it loses much of its impact in the process, you'll know your garnish is well-placed; if the lack of bad language seems to make no difference whatsoever, than err on the side of caution and leave it out. :)

Of course, garnishes are meant to be used sparingly, and their purpose should be to enhance the overall attractiveness of the meal of a whole. If you heap on so much garnish that it stands out more than your dish does - like so many of those "My first ROM Hack!" videos you find on Youtube; that are essentially one-trick ponies modded with Advance-Text who's sole reason for being is to have PROFESSOR PENIS give you a Pokemon in PUSSY TOWN while NPCs ask you to **** them - you give off the impression of being a twelve-year-old with a mentality that hasn't advanced beyond the Beavis and Butt-Head stage yet. Hacking a slew of four-letter words and dirty sex talk into a Pokemon game doesn't make one "mature" and "edgy" - far from it!

Edited to add: Sometimes, however, your dish NEEDS garnish. Slavishly avoiding bad language in situations that would appropriately call for it can be just as bad as overdoing it. Lines like "gosh dang it to heck!" - in the mouth of a character where such wouldn't make sense (such as your scary Big Bad) - can push your hack into the realm of Narm (in other words, ridiculously cheesy and ineffective at delivering the intended emotional impact). If you're wanting to avoid both swearing and the Narm-y avoidance of such in tense situations, reworking your dialogue to avoid any need for silly euphemisms (or planning it that way from the beginning) is generally what I recommend. The fine line between avoiding swearing to silly extremes and cursing like a sailor can be a difficult one to walk sometimes...but if you have a good instinct for your story, your characters, your setting, your overall mood, and your audience; finding that opportune moment where you have a real reason to use "damn" over "darn" - or not needing to use an expletive at all - will come easy to you. ^^

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Yeah, so very true. Although if I was creating a sequal to Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum for instance, I would rather go Nintendo style. But for a stand alone hack (and maybe a sequal to it)... I probably would use swearing in it, after all... it is part of reality after all. Like... I could end up creating a hack of Pokémon Platinum (once I learn how to), I could place it in a timeline that was before humans discovered the parallel world of Pokémon, because it does seem in the anime and games... that it takes place in a world that really isn't planet Earth at all... which means... the animals that inhabit the world... is Pokémon. While the Earth life forms live on Earth, so yeah.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
All you need to do in the pokemon games is use a super effective attack, and with a few exceptions (eg physical moves on special sweepers), it will usually kill the pokemon you're up against. Don't be afraid to make your hack harder so that items such as X-Attack and moves such as swords dance are actually viable, and people actually spend money on full heals. Keep in mind, unless you're in a cave, you can walk back to the pokemon centre after a particularly taxing battle and fully heal your pokemon, so outside of caves (or routes with a cave in the middle or unavoidable grass) assume that the trainer is going to be fought with a full health team.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
um i was already needing to use pseudo-competitive tactics in-game in every game in the normal series, making it harder's just going to make me give up. Hardcore players won't quite a good game if it's easy. Casual players will RQ if it's hard.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2020
Sorry if I am spamming here but I am very new. Could someone please link me to a thread that states what hacking is? And it sounds like you are changing the game somehow, would this be possible to download on an NDS Rom?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
The analogy I use in my own thinking is that swearing is a garnish. Your dish won't be any less delicious without it; but a little placed here and there in the areas where it will have the most impact can enhance your hack's tone, characterization, and/or storytelling. This "garnish" should never be added frivolously - if your dish is already artfully arranged just the way it is; than even a sprinkling of parsley could be seen as distracting and unnecessary. A good "test" to do is this: if you can imagine your scene without swearing and finds it loses much of its impact in the process, you'll know your garnish is well-placed; if the lack of bad language seems to make no difference whatsoever, than err on the side of caution and leave it out. :)

Of course, garnishes are meant to be used sparingly, and their purpose should be to enhance the overall attractiveness of the meal of a whole. If you heap on so much garnish that it stands out more than your dish does - like so many of those "My first ROM Hack!" videos you find on Youtube; that are essentially one-trick ponies modded with Advance-Text who's sole reason for being is to have PROFESSOR PENIS give you a Pokemon in PUSSY TOWN while NPCs ask you to **** them - you give off the impression of being a twelve-year-old with a mentality that hasn't advanced beyond the Beavis and Butt-Head stage yet. Hacking a slew of four-letter words and dirty sex talk into a Pokemon game doesn't make one "mature" and "edgy" - far from it!

Edited to add: Sometimes, however, your dish NEEDS garnish. Slavishly avoiding bad language in situations that would appropriately call for it can be just as bad as overdoing it. Lines like "gosh dang it to heck!" - in the mouth of a character where such wouldn't make sense (such as your scary Big Bad) - can push your hack into the realm of Narm (in other words, ridiculously cheesy and ineffective at delivering the intended emotional impact). If you're wanting to avoid both swearing and the Narm-y avoidance of such in tense situations, reworking your dialogue to avoid any need for silly euphemisms (or planning it that way from the beginning) is generally what I recommend. The fine line between avoiding swearing to silly extremes and cursing like a sailor can be a difficult one to walk sometimes...but if you have a good instinct for your story, your characters, your setting, your overall mood, and your audience; finding that opportune moment where you have a real reason to use "damn" over "darn" - or not needing to use an expletive at all - will come easy to you. ^^

Good advice! Another good idea I just thought of is to have a tester just to check the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back