The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2012 (4:52 AM). Edited June 22nd, 2012 by DrFuji.
Heiki Hecchara‌‌

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebroken View Post
2) How do I move map save locations? I inserted my map, but I don't know how to put it in a different city. It just saves in the town that used to be Pallet Town.
To change the folder the map is under go into the header tab of the map you want to move, there should be a a box with the map name in the top-left corner. Open it and select the name you want the map to go under, save your ROM and then refresh Advance Map (F5). Your map should now be inside the folder name that you chose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBawls View Post
Sorry if this is not where I post this, this is my first topic >.<...

Ok I have basically created and inserted 7 new maps into the game, the maps works fine as do the warps and etc. My problem is that if I have two of the same items placed on the map, not hidden, the ones where you can see the pokeball sprite, I will pick up the first one and then the other will disappear.

To be more clear and simple if I pick up a max revive then the other(s) on the map vanish. Any item that is not max revive still remains but the other max revive is gone. Is there something I have done wrong? They do not vanish from my bag but from the map itself.

I made the scripts for the item events with pokescript.
That definitely shouldn't be happening. Check both Pokeball overworlds in A-Map and ensure that they have different 'Person Event' numbers; if they are identical then you will have to change one of them to something else. Also check their Person IDs as if they have the same value (which which is activated by a flag) that would also lead to the second ball disappearing. If neither of those suggestions help then post the scripts you're using so we can see what's happening when you talk to the balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monbandola View Post
i think im not at the right place to post this... notify me...
i just want a experienced person on hacking... i just want to know if these are possible:
pokescript and advancemap
1. create a new character on pokemon emerald
i mean to create a new "may" coz i think it can.. but no one wants to help me... i just want to add a new character that will... act like may... like she will suddenly walk towards you and talk to you... give you items and stuffs... can i copy the script of may and add it to my new character and modify it slightly??

i just want to create a new story line on pokemon emerald.. :(
Of course all of that is possible through scripting. If you're going to be working off one of May's scripts then you're going to have to repoint part of it, but I would encourage you to make your own scripts from scratch. To learn how to do stuff like that then I would highly advise that you check out the Tutorials section as there are several guides which cover the basic commands you'll need and how to set up your very own script.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 22nd, 2012 (7:00 AM).
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
    In Fire Red, does anyone know the palette and image offsets of the lines behind oak at the intro?

I found the pallete location for the circle by searching this thread but would also like to edit the background.

Also does anyone know how to edit these screens:

I wanna change the Pikachu and the text, I remember seeing tutorials for both a few years ago but can't seem to find them now.
    Old June 22nd, 2012 (7:55 AM).

For editing palettes, load your ROM in VisualBoy Advance, go to that screen, then under the "Tools" menu, select "Palette Viewer". Select a colour that you wish to edit. The "Value" that is shown is the hex code for the colour. You need to split the value into bytes and flip them, so 7FFF would become FF7F. Do this to around four or five or the colours (the palette progresses from left to right), and keep the information (in the correct order) in Notepad.

Load your ROM in a hex editor, search the data you just obtained, and the offset it takes you to can then be loaded into HackMew's Advance Palette Editor tool (I assume you'll be able to work out how to use APE, it's rather straightforward).

Now for my question, is there a particular reason why exits in interior rooms in FireRed have three warps? Does it have any adverse side effects if the two side warps are omitted?
    Old June 22nd, 2012 (8:26 AM).
    Not So Standard Trainer

Nature: Modest
      Some random newbie questions. For Gen 3 hacking.

1 Can the (4th gen) Pys/spec split be in implemented? (even in a crude way) is there a mod component for this?

2 Is there a "mod component" that has all 649 pokemon?,( all the sprites, moves ETC not implemented) I've looked round the forum but i may have missed something.

3 How much space can a mapper play with, before running out of space? can you increase the allotted space?

4 If i use emerald tiles in leaf green or visa versa, will there be a problem?

5 Does anyone know any decent GBA emulators for "android" phones?

Manic Street Preachers
      Old June 22nd, 2012 (8:36 AM). Edited June 22nd, 2012 by Spherical Ice.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Wendle View Post
      Some random newbie questions. For Gen 3 hacking.

1 Can the (4th gen) Pys/spec split be in implemented? (even in a crude way) is there a mod component for this?

2 Is there a "mod component" that has all 649 pokemon?,( all the sprites, moves ETC not implemented) I've looked round the forum but i may have missed something.

3 How much space can a mapper play with, before running out of space? can you increase the allotted space?

4 If i use emerald tiles in leaf green or visa versa, will there be a problem?

5 Does anyone know any decent GBA emulators for "android" phones?
      "SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION". Did you really? :P

Anyway:

1) This patch will enable the Physical/Special split.

2) This patch (which is a work in progress) will allow you to.

3) For map limitations, Advance Map will only allow you a certain size ratio. For the amount of maps, normally it's safe to stay within the several maps that are already in the ROM, but here's a tutorial on how to add new maps.

4) If you insert the tiles properly, there should be no problems. There's a guide by Cello in the Tutorials subforum if you dont know how to insert tiles.

5) Try this.

Most of the things I've linked apply to FireRed (some may apply to Ruby/Emerald), but I'm pretty sure none will apply to LeafGreen, so if you're hacking LeafGreen I think it'd be wise to switch to FireRed - there is a wider support from tools, tutorials and patches for FireRed over LeafGreen.
      Old June 22nd, 2012 (9:17 AM).

Can you increase the size of a tileset? When importing tiles you seem to have pretty limited space unless you replace old tiles and I'd prefer not to do that.

NOTE: I am not referring to the "block amount", I am referring to the image you export and add your tiles to then import.
        Old June 22nd, 2012 (9:26 AM).

I'm afraid not. Not easily, at least - no-one has done it before and it would probably involve rewriting the parts of the ROM that deal with the space maps are allocated.
        Old June 22nd, 2012 (10:36 AM).
        Not So Standard Trainer

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
          "SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION". Did you really? :P

Anyway:

1) This patch will enable the Physical/Special split.
          thought that thread was discussion, i didn't know it had a patch

2)this will allow you to.
          Sweet.........
          3) For map limitations, Advance Map will only allow you a certain size ratio. For the amount of maps, normally it's safe to stay within the several maps that are already in the ROM, but here's a tutorial on how to add new maps.[/url]
          So i can't keep adding new routes to my hearts content?

4) If you insert the tiles properly, there should be no problems. There's a guide by Cello in the Tutorials subforum if you dont know how to insert tiles.
          thanks

5) Try this.lol, the reason for asking to see if anyone had an opinion on which one to use lol
          Most of the things I've linked apply to FireRed (some may apply to Ruby/Emerald), but I'm pretty sure none will apply to LeafGreen, so if you're hacking LeafGreen I think it'd be wise to switch to FireRed - there is a wider support from tools, tutorials and patches for FireRed over LeafGreen.
          Why is fire red more popular then leaf green? I did search honestly i'm not used to this forum yet so its a little awkward. damned URL rule

Manic Street Preachers
          Old June 22nd, 2012 (11:19 AM).

Please help...

Ok I have basically created and inserted 7 new maps into the game, the maps works fine as do the warps and etc. My problem is that if I have two of the same items placed on the map, not hidden, the ones where you can see the pokeball sprite, I will pick up the first one and then the other will disappear.

To be more clear and simple if I pick up a max revive then the other(s) on the map vanish. Any item that is not max revive still remains but the other max revive is gone. Is there something I have done wrong? They do not vanish from my bag but from the map itself.

Old June 22nd, 2012 (2:20 PM).
            Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
              Hey guys I started trying ASM and followed the tutorials here but I don't know what I keep doing wrong....:(

Here's the ASM routine I used....

In cmd it says it has assembled succesfully but maybe I did something wrong.....

but the files there so idk whats the problem so here's the file in hex workshop....

I copied it down on offset 0x800000 in a clean FireRed ROM

After that the ROM opens properly....
              But when I tried it on NO$GBA the ROM crashes...

Same goes to VBA but this time it freezes

Could anyone help me with this please?

Sorry it this was a long post... :(
              Old June 22nd, 2012 (2:55 PM).
              Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
                Did you copy-overwrite or copy-insert? That, to me, looks like you've misaligned something which the game is trying to read.
                Old June 22nd, 2012 (3:46 PM).
                Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                  Did you copy-overwrite or copy-insert? That, to me, looks like you've misaligned something which the game is trying to read.
                  I copy inserted it and what do you mean about misaligning something?

So will this work If I type it one by one?
                  Old June 22nd, 2012 (4:20 PM).

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop evolution stones from disappearing on use? I tried making them key items but when I do that they don't appear in YAPE for evolution options.
                    Old June 22nd, 2012 (5:07 PM).
                    Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
                      Hello, I was wondering something. How do you change the start map of Pokemon Fire Red?
                      Is there a tool that can do that? Thanks.
                      Old June 22nd, 2012 (5:37 PM).
                      Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                        Hello, I was wondering something. How do you change the start map of Pokemon Fire Red?
                        Is there a tool that can do that? Thanks.
                        Yes there is StartMapChooserEditor or simply SMEA here's the link for hackmew's toolbox you can download it there.... :)

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85025
                        Old June 22nd, 2012 (7:16 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                          First, when you're working with ASM, always make backups. Obsessively make backups.

What Jambo is saying is that, what has likely happened is that you "added" to the ROM. When pasting a line of code into a ROM, always make sure you do what is known as a "Paste Write", and not a "Paste Insert". The difference is that Paste Write overwrites what's there (and, if you are pasting in, it should be free space, so it doesn't matter if it is overwritten). Paste Insert, on the other hand, keeps what is there, but shifts it down, creating alignment issues (and, I believe emulators and GBAs can't read ROMs that are lengthened in this way).

I would say, check how long your assembled code is, and go in and delete that many bytes of free space after your code. That should fix it. And I do really mean "delete" - your hex editor will likely alert you that you're changing the size of the ROM, but your Paste Write already made the ROM larger, so you're just putting it back to its regular size.
                          Old June 22nd, 2012 (7:46 PM).
                          Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
                            First, when you're working with ASM, always make backups. Obsessively make backups.

What Jambo is saying is that, what has likely happened is that you "added" to the ROM. When pasting a line of code into a ROM, always make sure you do what is known as a "Paste Write", and not a "Paste Insert". The difference is that Paste Write overwrites what's there (and, if you are pasting in, it should be free space, so it doesn't matter if it is overwritten). Paste Insert, on the other hand, keeps what is there, but shifts it down, creating alignment issues (and, I believe emulators and GBAs can't read ROMs that are lengthened in this way).

I would say, check how long your assembled code is, and go in and delete that many bytes of free space after your code. That should fix it. And I do really mean "delete" - your hex editor will likely alert you that you're changing the size of the ROM, but your Paste Write already made the ROM larger, so you're just putting it back to its regular size.
                            So in short your telling me that just don't use "Paste Insert" and do "Paste Write" and sorry I'm not quite familiar in using Hex Workshop so that might be my problem I'll try this and see if it works.... :)
                            Old June 22nd, 2012 (8:53 PM).
                            Oh Hai Thar~

Nature: Careful
                            Hello pipz.
                            I wish to ask a question.
                            Hope someone can answer.

Anyway, in a Ruby ROM, is there a reason why the setwildbattle command for legendaries , no matter what level I put, they're only limited to level 10?
                            Wildbattle works fine, setwildbattle is the only issue.

FC: 0061-1111-6462
                            TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old June 22nd, 2012 (11:45 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by JBawls View Post
                            Please help...

The Poké Ball events need to have different Person IDs.
                            Old June 23rd, 2012 (1:39 AM).
                            巨大なトロール。

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
                            Hello pipz.
                            I wish to ask a question.
                            Hope someone can answer.

Anyway, in a Ruby ROM, is there a reason why the setwildbattle command for legendaries , no matter what level I put, they're only limited to level 10?
                            Wildbattle works fine, setwildbattle is the only issue.
                            I had a quick look in a FireRed ROM and couldn't find anything that would change the level. Which Pokemon does it effect, specifically?
                            Old June 23rd, 2012 (11:57 AM).

1. Is there a way to make it so that a Pokemon the player receives from a givepokemon script has a custom moveset instead of the defaults?
                              2. What about an egg that will have custom moves when it hatches?
                              3. What about a wild battle with a Pokemon that has a custom moveset?
                              Old June 23rd, 2012 (6:28 PM).
                              Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Prof. Q View Post
                                1. Is there a way to make it so that a Pokemon the player receives from a givepokemon script has a custom moveset instead of the defaults?
                                2. What about an egg that will have custom moves when it hatches?
                                3. What about a wild battle with a Pokemon that has a custom moveset?
                                They are only possible through ASM, or JPANs hack engine for the first two. The moves a Pokemon have are encrypted, and depend on values such as Trainer ID and personality value. They can be unencrypted through ASM, though. Consult this for info on what you want :)

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old June 23rd, 2012 (8:41 PM).

Thank you, it was the person id, now I simply have the problem where when I leave the map and return the pokeballs are back, is that one of the unknowns?
                                  Old June 23rd, 2012 (9:11 PM).

Is it possible to write a script that checks the level of a Pokemon? I'd like to be able to create areas that can only be accessed if the player's Pokemon are below a certain level.
                                    Old June 23rd, 2012 (9:32 PM).
                                    Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Prof. Q View Post
                                      Is it possible to write a script that checks the level of a Pokemon? I'd like to be able to create areas that can only be accessed if the player's Pokemon are below a certain level.
                                      That also uses ASM my friend... :)

Quick Reply