• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your opinion of critical hits?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Do you think they add suspense to the game? Do they reduce the skill involved in battling? If they were removed, would you miss them?

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
I personally don't see the point of crits being in a competitive environment. They remove skill and provide wins sometimes that I feel aren't legitimate. If you happen to let an opposing pokemon set up on you with +6 Def / SpD, it's your fault for letting that happen and you shouldn't have to rely on a crit to take it down either.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
What Aero said is partly true... if you win by critical hit, it's not like you won by your skills...
But on the other hand, it's the element of surprise and suspense and that you should never give up.
In game... well... they are just part of it. I wouldn't miss them if they were removed.

Years
Crits can save and end your Pokemon in battle. Works in both directions. I wouldn't miss them really.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
They have their place, as much as I sometimes hate them.

Yes Pokemon is skill-based, but admittedly the luck factor is something I would not do away with. It also means a better play wins 95% of the time instead of 100% which is something all competitive games strive to have. Sometimes it feels like the simulator hates you though.

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
I cannot word it any better than this "people hate when their pokemon receive a crit but no-one complains when they deal one" you can flame and complain for the rest of your life but you both have an equal chance of getting a crit, it is fair and if you lose a match because of one the match most likely wasn't going in your favor anyway. :L

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2013
Critical hits can be a part of skill though.
Part of competitive battling is knowledge.
I'm currently working on a Sniper Drapion, holding scope lens to up the critical hit ratio.
The moveset I'm thinking of includes night slash and cross poison, both of these moves have a naturally high crit ratio. Combined with Scope Lens to boost that ratio alongside the Sniper ability that makes crits x3 power instead of only x2 sounds pretty good doesn't it?

Back