• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
What does this mean? We can export maps and edit them in a program like Blender? Or is to just edit objects? I'd like an explanation from someone with some knowledge of this. Explain everything to me ;)

It means you can edit models in Blender, yes. Or in any other program that supports OBJ models. However, converting them back to the NDS format is the hard part, and for now you'll be forced to use Nintendo-made plugins.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2024
It means you can edit models in Blender, yes. Or in any other program that supports OBJ models. However, converting them back to the NDS format is the hard part, and for now you'll be forced to use Nintendo-made plugins.
Well then.... can you or someone else recreate an old city from an old game and spread the news on YouTube or other places? Seems like you guys are so focused on developing the tool, you are forgetting why you started doing so in the first place! To make a custom map or make a nostalgic map. I'm sure you guys will be featured on a lot of gaming blogs on the net. We have a lot of guys coming through these forums and spreading the news about all of this awesome stuff! Get on it. Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Awsome dude route 101. And spiky has change some maps without hex i guess.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
I am the only one who has managed to edit a map without hex editor...

That's a great job! Congratulations! Actually, that I know, you are the second person to edit a map to something that is really a map (those early palette hacks can't be considered edits). I did the first edit using Pokémon Gen IV Map Converter, and here's what I did back in June:

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
Really great work on this! As somebody who's brand new to map hacking, it will certainly be nice to jump right into DS instead of GBA like most others. Also, having plenty of experience in blender doesn't hurt! :P

This may be asking a lot, but is there any chance of this being updated to work with B/W/B2/W2? I understand that these games are far more complicated (for Pokemon anyway), given the angled grids and excess of models.

Thank you again, and keep up with the good work!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Whenever I click on "Save ROM", at first nothing appears to happen, and then I get a message saying, "The system cannot find the file specified". It won't save any of my changes no matter what I do.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Whenever I click on "Save ROM", at first nothing appears to happen, and then I get a message saying, "The system cannot find the file specified". It won't save any of my changes no matter what I do.

Oh no, not again... :(

Does it say the file not found is "game.nds"? Or is it another file? Because maybe I left something beta in the saving process and it doesn't find a file.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
To all of you who downloaded version 1.5.0 before this post was written: redownload the tool. It has a critical saving error that will make you lose all your game data because you can't save anything. Thanks to Team Fail and Chaos Rush for reporting the problem :)

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Could I help you to add italian ROMs support?

Italian ROMs are supported already, the tool works with all languages. Also, there's an Italian translation of the tool in progress, and it will likely be available in the next version :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
lol guys look at what I did to my Platinum ROM:
34r8uw2.png
fwu638.png
2aj9ctd.png

I actually figured out how to do this before you uploaded the fixed version of the tool (lots of narc file extracting, and then replacing the files within), but I replicated it using your fixed tool also. This is a fantastic tool, and I really appreciate the effort you put yourself through!

It's amazing seeing how far you've gotten with Gen IV hacking, I remember how your DarkDiamond hack was originally a Diamond remake on FireRed, but then you moved to Diamond version itself, and then you've learned so many things from sticking with it. Keep going! You have my support 100%.

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
lol guys look at what I did to my Platinum ROM:
34r8uw2.png
fwu638.png
2aj9ctd.png

I actually figured out how to do this before you uploaded the fixed version of the tool (lots of narc file extracting, and then replacing the files within), but I replicated it using your fixed tool also. This is a fantastic tool, and I really appreciate the effort you put yourself through!

It's amazing seeing how far you've gotten with Gen IV hacking, I remember how your DarkDiamond hack was originally a Diamond remake on FireRed, but then you moved to Diamond version itself, and then you've learned so many things from sticking with it. Keep going! You have my support 100%.
How did you do it? Explain clearly please!

XxBestOnXx

NDS Hacker/ Youtube Graphic
Years
Hello all!
I am a problem with the edit of the terrain...
How i convert the terrain file?
Where i can find the nintendo tools?
Help please :(
p.s= Thanks for the program Spiky-Eared Pichu!

(Sorry for the probally bad English but i'm an Italian boy :) )

Back