• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you defeat Cynthia's Garchomp?

Years
First time I used Floatzel, who was somewhere around level 60 and got him with single Ice Beam. Second time got critical with my own Garchomp's Dragon Claw.

Now when I read those columns, I have a need to give it another playthrough xD.

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
Oh lord, I don't remember how my fight with Cynthia went when I played through Diamond, but Platinum was my first experience with a Pokemon game. For whatever reason, I didn't understand what the "switch" button meant whenever I checked my party and I didn't realize it meant switching Pokemon between any of the six slots until two months after I beat the game.

So naturally, I had an overleveled Torterra (level 89, to be exact) that either used Leaf Storm or Earthquake, OHKOing her Garchomp. Countless times. And it was only countless because of her Togekiss. x_x

Years
On Diamond using Weavile I... spammed Ice Shard a zillion times.

On Platinum using Golduck I... spammed Ice Beam a zillion times.

On a recent playthrough of Platinum using Floatzel I... spammed Ice Beam a zillion times.

I probably used a bunch of Max Revives/regular Revives and Hyper Potions, however.{XD}

shubham2207

Lone Wolf
Years
I had my level 74 Empoleon during first e4 boot
rekt her Togekiss, Roserade and Garchomp with Blizzard.. :3
That Milotic was pain in the ass as I Didn't use any electric or grass mons... :/

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
Years
I had my Infernape outspeed it (don't ask me how, even I'm mystified by it) and got a Critical Close Combat which OHKO'd that poor helpless Garchomp, mind you Infernape was also holding a Black Belt

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 25, 2016
On my Monotype run, I had Floatzel use Ice Fang. Got a crit on the second fang (would've fainted without it)
Next Ice Fang froze Togekiss.
I was pretty pumped

blue

gucci
Years
Empoleon with Ice Beam definitely helped me out in this situation. I do recall having some trouble with her Garchomp, particularly in Diamond. You just know that if these games got remade then they would give Cynthia a Mega Garchomp..

colter519

Youngster
Years
My Garchomp (which was several levels lower than hers) managed to outspeed hers and OHKO it with Dragon Rush. This was on Pearl. I love my Garchomp :)

Years
In Platinum, my team was in the high 40's, so we obviously weren't ready to take her on, but did so anyway. I kept spamming hyper potions and revives throughout the whole battle and won somehow. It took at least an hour.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't read the entire thread title. My bad. Anyways, I think I defeated her Garchomp with a Glaceon or something.

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
My whole team was pretty well equipped against Cynthia but I'm pretty sure it was my Gastrodon Shelly who struck the final blow with ice beam. :D

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Aug 10, 2016
I remember my Weavile taking out her Garchomp with an Ice Punch or an Ice Shard. Can't quite remember.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Haha, well the first time, I lost badly. But luckily, I had seen all 150 pokemon so I got the national pokedex, brought some legendary pokemon from my Emerald and destroyed Cynthia. My Lugia Aeroblasted her Garchomp, which was pretty good.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
As we all know, Cynthia is regarded by many as the hardest opponent in the series, with a team packing very strong and/or bulky Pokémon like Spiritomb and Milotic, with max IVs across the board, but none stands out as much as her ace, Garchomp, a Ground/Dragon-type with very strong HP, Attack and Speed stats. Some people have been swept by this thing without even being able to do anything to it, while others have beaten it with clever strategy. It's even regarded as extremely fast, being able to go before some of the fastest Pokémon you may have. So, how have you managed to defeat this disaster?

I remember the first time I played Pearl I think, this thing KO'ed one of my Pokémon with Giga Impact, and then I went to my Gastrodon which was a bit over Level 50, and I went for Ice Beam and did over half, but her Sitrus Berry healed her health. I recall managing to defeat it with my next hit, but i'm not certain. (Or it may have been the other way around...)

That was just one occasion, I can surely name a few others. How about you? How have you managed to overcome this nightmare? Discuss.

Easy way to KO it without you getting defeated by it is, using Twister with any type of dragon Pokémon as long as you use Twister Cynthia's Garchomp will stay stunned and will not attack for another turn you will get the chance to attack and defeat it.

The Pokemon and moveset below is what I used to beat the elite four and the Cynthia the League's Champion.

Shaymin
Energy Ball,
Seed Flare,
Aromatherapy,
Substitute

Darkrai
Dark Pulse,
Dark Void,
Shock Wave,
Double Team

Dialga
Protect,
Hyper Beam,
Draco Meteor,
Roar Of Time

Palkia
Protect,
Aura Sphere,
Hyper Beam,
Special Rend

Giratina
Will 'O' Wisp,
Aura Sphere,
Dragon Claw,
Shadow Force

Arceus
Twister,
Judgement,
Flamethrower,
Blizzard.

As we all know, Cynthia is regarded by many as the hardest opponent in the series, with a team packing very strong and/or bulky Pokémon like Spiritomb and Milotic, with max IVs across the board, but none stands out as much as her ace, Garchomp, a Ground/Dragon-type with very strong HP, Attack and Speed stats. Some people have been swept by this thing without even being able to do anything to it, while others have beaten it with clever strategy. It's even regarded as extremely fast, being able to go before some of the fastest Pokémon you may have. So, how have you managed to defeat this disaster?

I remember the first time I played Pearl I think, this thing KO'ed one of my Pokémon with Giga Impact, and then I went to my Gastrodon which was a bit over Level 50, and I went for Ice Beam and did over half, but her Sitrus Berry healed her health. I recall managing to defeat it with my next hit, but i'm not certain. (Or it may have been the other way around...)

That was just one occasion, I can surely name a few others. How about you? How have you managed to overcome this nightmare? Discuss.

Try hitting it with Dragon Claw or Dragonsbreath attack with any pokemon that can learn those moves, it will either paralyse Garchomp or KO it in 1 hit.

My whole team was pretty well equipped against Cynthia but I'm pretty sure it was my Gastrodon Shelly who struck the final blow with ice beam. :D
That's really good, but like I was saying if you have those pokemon and the moves like me you will ace the battle without having to revive any of them from fainting from a critical hit.

Haha, well the first time, I lost badly. But luckily, I had seen all 150 pokemon so I got the national pokedex, brought some legendary pokemon from my Emerald and destroyed Cynthia. My Lugia Aeroblasted her Garchomp, which was pretty good.

You did good there with Lugia but if you didn't have Lugia but had the others I mentioned on the list you would still beat her, what Cynthia uses are Strong Pokemon but her moves set for each of her pokemon are weak as hell, so beating her is just a piece of cake if you have the right moves and the right pokemon to execute the moves with.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
You did good there with Lugia but if you didn't have Lugia but had the others I mentioned on the list you would still beat her, what Cynthia uses are Strong Pokemon but her moves set for each of her pokemon are weak as hell, so beating her is just a piece of cake if you have the right moves and the right pokemon to execute the moves with.

Haha yeah. Honestly I had a pretty underleveled team and I wasn't a big user of healing items. Though its easier to beat her now, she's definitely still the toughest champion in the games.

Years
I don't usually use legendaries in my playthrough anymore, but I was still kind of a noob during my first Diamond run and used Dialga on my team. As you'd guess, Roar of Time from a Lv. 58 uber easily OHKO'd Garchomp; thankfully Dialga was able to tank Garchomp's EQ.

In my most recent run of Pearl, my underleveled Floatzel dealt an Ice Beam to finish that monster. There was a lot of revive-stalling and waiting for Garchomp to use Giga Impact so I had a free turn to attack xD

Back