• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon Sardonyx: Raised to Win

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Evil Dev
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
sardonyx_logo_new_2_by_keileon-dblokvz.png

ZnTWdNL.png
Pokémon Sardonyx: Raised to Win is a fangame made in Pokemon Essentials v16.2, by a small team of friends based upon a play-by-post roleplay that lasted for a few years. The roleplay eventually ended in favor of continuing the story as a game and a Nuzlocke comic. We have recently picked up development again and are eager to tell the story we've been wanting to since 2011.

PS:RtW is a somewhat ambitious game, featuring in the future a branching storyline and deep worldbuilding. We may take artistic liberty with many established pieces of Pokémon lore, particularly centering around the Pokémon themselves. We take inspiration from both the games and anime, as well as Nuzlocke artists, a certain PMD fanfiction author, common theories, and random musings from the devs. While we strive to have memorable game mechanics and features, our game is intended to be primarily narrative-driven and rewards the player for exploration and interaction. Almost every object can be interacted with.

While the game may be relatively easy at the start, it is intended to have a difficulty curve similar to Pokémon Platinum Version. We recommend searching the grass for Pokémon (each area has a wide selection, even cities) and training when possible. We do not recommend playing the game on a Nuzlocke Challenge, at least on the first playthrough. More cautious or paranoid players may wish to save the game often, just in case something happens.

We currently have a workable development team and do not technically lack any roles. We should be able to complete the game with our current team. However, we will consider applicants for spriters, scripters, composers, and promotional/graphics artists. Please see the Contact section below.

We market ourselves as a parody protected under Fair Use laws. In no way do we receive profit from media related to this fangame.

Download Link!

Current Version: 2.8.6
The core provided goes only to 2.8. To fully update, you will need to apply the patch as well. This can be done either by downloading the patch from the site and manually replacing the necessary files, or via the launcher provided in the core zip.
Also to those wondering about the current number of gyms available to challenge, there are badge graphics on the download page. The number of gyms available in the current version is represented by the number of badges currently not silhouetted.
https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/download/

----------

GbpzO8a.png
12-mapregion0-png

Map may not be final and is subject to change.

You begin in Granite Town in the Altaris Region, a small town by the region's standards but beginning to expand and urbanize. Though you already sort of have a Pokémon- a family "pet" belonging to a relative that is no longer available- you decide that you need to go get a Pokémon of your own and become a trainer. Your neighbor and best friend tags along with you as you head to Shardil Town, where the professor will give you a choice between three Pokémon: Eevee, Mienfoo, and Solosis.

Very soon you begin to become aware of a gang, similar to those in other regions and yet somehow different. Reportedly, they almost never steal the Pokémon of other trainers. There are no grunts. There is no consistent uniform or identifying aspect aside from the raven they use as an emblem. These phantom whispers of a gang calling themselves Team Mortis reach you nearly everywhere you go, as does news of their illegal activities: pitting Pokémon against each other in battles to the death.

But are they the only criminal activity in the region?

Adventure through the island region and forge your own story. One might instinctively aim for the Gym challenge and Pokémon League, but none of this is required if you wish to take a more unorthodox path. Talk to everyone you meet, investigate every nook and cranny, explore every hidden passage and you will be rewarded for your efforts with deep worldbuilding and expansions on the established Pokémon lore.

As long as there is life in us.
As long as we hold the will to survive.
Knowing no different, we fight for our masters...
... For we are born to fight...
... And raised to win.

AWNBYnW.png

A more comprehensive list of features can be seen here:
https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/features/

Spoiler:

d72SiJA.png

Due to the sheer amount of questions we have accrued, we have taken to displaying our FAQ on our website.

https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/faq/

BrSr4Gh.png

Due to the sheer amount of screenshots and promotional art we have, we choose to link to the respective pages on our website instead of showing everything here.

Screenshots: https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/screen/
Art: https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/promo/

v1aQnkW.png

For formatting and length reasons, we sill display our credits via this pastebin:

https://pastebin.com/zKkWYfHi

It will be updated with each release.

bLJWbe6.png

Pokémon Sardonyx has a website!

You can follow the development of the game at our Twitter account, @Sardonyx_RtW!

You can email the primary developer of the game at: [email protected]

Our Relic Castle thread can be found here: https://reliccastle.com/threads/466/

You can also join our Discord server to communicate with the developers in real-time!​

Last edited:

Keileon

Pokémon Sardonyx: RtW dev
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Other dev reporting for duty! o/ I manage the Twitter and site and do most of the visual stuff. Both Giga and I can answer any questions.

Years
I like it when fan-games want to change what is generally considered the norm: gym battles, rivals, evil teams, etc. So I do have an interest in this, but there is one thing in the features that does concern me a lot, and it is regarding to the type chart changes. I'm perfectly fine with the changes to Normal and Ice, as they really could use the boost, but I have a fairly big gripe with the change to Poison. One Pokemon that I really like to use and can do very well with is Azumarill, and the change to Poison means that the Pokemon will now take x4 damage from Poison if the Pokemon was given the Fairy type like in other games that take Gen 6/7 mechanics. Did the Marill line of Pokemon receive any kind of buff in this game since they now have an enemy type that can very likely OHKO them?

Keileon

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
No. There are a lot of Pokemon with 4x weaknesses; we typically don't go out of our way to remove or make sure that a type adjustment doesn't give some other random Pokemon one. Poison isn't all that offensively prevalent compared to a lot of other types either, at least not early in the game.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 29, 2023
i have been intrested in this game for a long time and i played it a while back and for some reason the game is so laggy i could barely play it. i have played pokemon uranium without problems and they seem to have used the same launcher you guys are using aswell as me having a medium good pc. is it just the game itself thats weird or is it on my end?

Adrevi

Clueless.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022
I'm kinda surprised to see this here. I'm already kind of familiar with the hack (OOPS SLIPPED UP, EEEH) because of a certain youtuber but I've yet to play it for myself.

If there's one thing that bothers me, it's the background NPCs' overwhelming insistence on throwaway jokes, silly laughs and being generally completely disconnected from anything happening in the story or the world. The post claims you have an interest in making a deep, narrative focused thing with world building and lore and stuff. You guys are clearly having a lot of fun with it, but honestly, I'd have it pegged more like a parody of the Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series type than what you're saying it is, with only the occasional drop back into seriousness when a story cutscene is taking place.

Last edited:

Keileon

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Moffatt: It's highly dependent on the computer; even high-end ones might have a bit of trouble. We're working on mitigating the lag where possible, though!

Adrevi:

1. Not a hack.

2. Writing hundreds of background NPCs is hard and oftentimes we're pressed to dig around for lines when we're out of area/plot/Pokemon relevant things to write for the time being. It's not nearly as prevalent as you seem to think it is, though; a lot of the "throwaway" jokes you're thinking of (a lot, not all, I'll admit that much) are probably part of a larger thing if, say, they're all in the same house. For example, there's one house filled with NPCs that might strike some as being random angst, but for others they understand the story/reference. There's also the running gag of small children being absolutely insane most of the time. Ultimately it comes down to a mix of "there are still stories being told" and "we can only come up with so much for random NPCs you talk to once and forget about".

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 29, 2023
the thing i find most confusing though is that i dont have any kind of problem with most games, divinity original sin 2, payday 2, league of legends aswell as heroes of the storm and wow i can play with highest settings np so i really dont think there should be a problem but there still is. il just wait for some future update and try again:P

Keileon

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Part of it is that RMXP games are really badly optimized. We can mitigate up to a certain point, but after that there's only so much we can do. Adding to that, we tend to go for large and event-heavy maps so that is definitely also contributing.

Keileon

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
We have several hours worth of gameplay depending on how quickly you go through it. You'll travel to the southern tip of the western island.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 6, 2022
This is not a question i just wanna tell how much i fukin love this game. Everything about it is perfect.
It deserves waaaaaay too much attention.

phantominoid

Darkness Within
Years
I was wondering if I could get some help on getting it to work. The game freezes whenI'm done with a random battle or going to another zone (Where the name would show up on the top left normally.) The only active mode is Hard mode.

I tried not using the turbo button and tried several screen sizes just to be sure. My computer is new and suited for high-end gaming and this is pretty much the only RMXP game that this sort of this happens.

To be more specific, this started after the Pichu quest started. Up until then, the game worked fine.

To talk about the game itself, I really like the regional variants and the new megas. The game looks great and the idea of "Disbelief" to deal with Psychic and Fairy types is just marvelous. Really looking forward to getting to work. (I used the launched to get the latest update too.)

Edit: I deleted the game and redownloaded it and it seems to be working, at least for the moment :)

Last edited:

Keileon

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 12, 2023
Unfortunately random freezing just seems to happen and we can't pinpoint the cause. So far it seems most prevalent when starting a random encounter, but we've had people report that it happens when leaving menus as well, when using Turbo, when using the Randomizer, and now your reports.

We're looking into it, we just can't figure out what's making the game hang like that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 10, 2022
I have one question regarding the hard mode feature. Does it only increase the difficulty or does it just add the nuzlocke mode? And if it is a nuzlocke how can I disable the hard mode. I didn't think it was one, but next thing I know my starter dies due to that Absol dude.

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Evil Dev
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
Hard Mode is mainly a difficulty. There's no added nuzlocke mode, nor do we intend to ever add one. If you're referring to the message that pops up when choosing to start a Hard Mode playthrough, it's more a dare than anything else. Ultimately, choosing to run a nuzlocke is still 100% up to player choice.

What happened to your Pokémon is one of the main mechanics of the game in general. Certain trainers will challenge you to battles in which you are typically allowed the use of a single Pokémon. The consequence of losing is the literal death of your Pokémon. Pokémon that die in these deathmatches cannot be revived by any of the typical methods. There will eventually be a way to revive these Pokémon, but it won't be for a few more major releases.

As for trainers that can challenge you to deathmatches, you'll usually be aware of them before the actual battle starts. Typical signs are certain tracks preceding the battle, the Pokémon selection menu, and an opportunity to back out. In that Trainer's case, he'll also give you several chances to back out. You're also informed of this character a few times beforehand. And typically, these battles aren't mandatory unless directly related to the plot. In fact, even once the Pokémon selection menu pops up, if a deathmatch isn't mandatory, then this is actually your final opportunity to back out of it. And even then, normal mode only has 3 truly mandatory deathmatches in our current release.

However in Hard Mode, most optional deathmatches are mandatory, and in most cases backing out of the selection menu will eventually loop back to it. Granted you will have to go out of your way to initiate most of them. Of course, that also means said trainer is a mandatory fight. Although as far as truly mandatory deathmatches, that additional one only increases it to 4 for Hard Mode.

However to keep you from getting too discouraged, most deathmatches in this release can be won with careful planning (ie good strategy or just grinding your team's brains out). Two (that trainer included) are made to be forced losses, and have carefully considered reasons to be put into those positions. Although to be honest, these kind of deathmatches will be few compared to however many deathmatches we'll have by the complete version. In these cases, my advice is to sack a Pokémon you can catch again later.

And while we encourage the player to play however they want, we also do not recommend either a nuzlocke challenge or Hard Mode on your first run of the game for this reason. We also of course recommend careful thinking about which modes you decide to activate as they are permanent for that save file.

But yeah, that's the bare bones of deathmatches.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 10, 2022
I didn't realize that was the case, but I definitely like that feature. Next time I'll be a little more aware before I let my cockiness get the better of me.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 16, 2019
Hey, I'm like really interested in playing this game, i'm interested in the complexity of the narrative, the sheer size of the buildings / cities, the altered form pokemons ( and abilities ) but I cant proceed after 10 minutes of playing. Leaving the professor's lab, My character is moved and facing my starter ( solosis ), and, even if I play "B" after exery text, after being forced faced up, I can't move. I tried about 10 times with different combinations ( always with solosis ) , gave up, reseted the pc, came back 10 hours later and still couldn't never get out of the LAB.

Maybe it's a stupid bug and I was even stupidier than it, but I really wished I could play this game

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Evil Dev
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
If it's actually leaving, that's an error with an event on Hard Mode. Although 1. That's Hard Mode. If this is your first playthrough, then I'd recommend against that, but good luck otherwise... And 2: That particular bug was fixed in a patch... Which sounds like you only downloaded the core...

I'm gonna add this to the first post later today, but as a note to anyone currently playing or just about to download: you will need both the core and the patch to fully update the game. The core only goes as far as 2.2, and the patch available is required to update to 2.3. If you only have the patch, then either download the patch from the site and manually replace files in your game folder with those in the patch (taking said files out of the extracted folder), or patch via the launcher available with the game itself.

Last edited:
Back