• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Was Ash's Johto pokemon handled poorly during Johto?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I think so, Cyndaquil and Totodile were unevolved and the rest were also relatively underpowered. Ash had to rely on some of his Kanto Pokemon for the 8th gym and the Johto league. I think his Johto pokemon got the shaft more than any of his other Pokemon. Heracross got dumped way to early at Oaks too. Phanpy was still a baby.

What do you think?

Years
Yes, they were.
His team was fully unevolved and as you say even Heracross got dumped away at early Johto episodes. I also think they were somewhat overpowered like Ash's Bayleef beating Houndoom? On the other hand I think they didn't make his team evolve so they'd have an excuse to bring Ash's old team back which is pretty sad.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Of course. Ash's Kanto hog the spotlight. Johto team is the only team to not have a fully evolved member. Phanpy evolved a lot later. Good thing Ash didn't use just johto for the league. He would have been defeated around top 16 if lucky.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Of course. Ash's Kanto hog the spotlight. Johto team is the only team to not have a fully evolved member. Phanpy evolved a lot later. Good thing Ash didn't use just johto for the league. He would have been defeated around top 16 if lucky.

Yes, they were.
His team was fully unevolved and as you say even Heracross got dumped away at early Johto episodes. I also think they were somewhat overpowered like Ash's Bayleef beating Houndoom? On the other hand I think they didn't make his team evolve so they'd have an excuse to bring Ash's old team back which is pretty sad.

His Johto team was not poorly handled because they did got to have atleast one win each in the Johto League.

Ash did use his Johto Team with his Kanto team during the Pokemon League. They didn't make his team evolve because they wanted to show that they can become strong battlers in their basic forms and Phanpy evolve in the Battle Frontier saga, that doesn't really count.

His proof they wasn't poorly handled.

Johto League

The battle one on one Process screening

Pikachu vs Salvadors Furret. Pikachu wins

Phanpy vs unown trainers Machoke. Phanpy wins

Cyndaquil vs unown trainer Exeggutor. Cyndaquil wins

Three on three battle

Ash vs Macey

Totodile vs Macey's Slugma. Macey recalled Slugma

Macey sent out Electabuzz.

Totodile vs Electabuzz. Ash recalled Totodile

Ash sent out Phanpy.

Phanpy vs Electabuzz. Macey recalled Electabuzz

Macey sent out Slugma

Phanpy vs Slugma. Phanpy wins

Macey sent out Quilava

Phanpy vs Quilava. Quilava wins

Ash sent out Totodile

Totodile vs Quilava. Quilava is recalled

Macey sent out Electabuzz

Electabuzz vs Totodile. Electabuzz wins

Ash sent out Squirtle

Squirtle vs Electabuzz. Squirtle wins

Macey sent out Quilava

Squirtle vs Quilava. Squirtle wins

Ash vs Jackson

Ash sent out Pikachu

Jackson sent out Azumarill

Pikachu vs Azumarill. Pikachu wins

Jackson sent out Magneton

Pikachu vs Magneton. Magneton wins

Ash sent out Cyndaquil

Cyndaquil vs Magneton. Magneton wins

Ash sent out Bulbasaur

Bulbasaur vs Magneton. Bulbasaur wins

Jackson sent out Meganium

Bulbasaur vs Meganium . both end in a draw

Ash vs Gary

Ash sent out Tauros

Gary sent out Nidoqueen

Tauros vs Nidoqueen. Nidoqueen wins

Ash sent out Heracross

Gary recalled Nidoqueen

Gary sent out Magmar

Second round

Magmar vs Heracross. Heracross wins

Gary sent out Blastoise

Blastoise vs Heracross. Blastoise wins

Ash sent out Muk

Muk vs Blastoise. Muk is recalled

Ash sent out Bayleef

Bayleef vs Blastoise. Blastoise wins

Gary recalled Blastoise

Ash sent out Snorlax

Gary sent out Arcanine

Snorlax vs Arcanine. Snorlax wins

Gary sent Nidoqueen back out

Gary sent out Scizor

Snorlax vs Scizor. Scizor wins

Ash sent Muk back out

Muk vs Scizor. Scizor wins

Ash sent out Charizard

Charizard vs Scizor. Charizard wins

Gary sent out Golem

Charizard vs Golem. Charizard wins

Gary sent out Blastoise

Charizard vs Blastoise. Charizard wins

Ash vs Harrison

Ash sent out Pikachu

Harrison sent out Kecleon

Pikachu vs Kecleon. Pikachu wins

Harrison sent out Sneasel

Pikachu vs Sneasel. Sneasel wins

Ash sent out Totodile

Totodile vs Sneasel. Totodile wins

Harrison sent out Hypno

Totodile vs Hypno. Hypno wins

Ash sent out Snorlax

Snorlax vs Hypno. Snorlax wins

Ash recalled Snorlax

Harrison sent out Steelix

Steelix vs Noctowl. Steelix wins

Ash sent Snorlax back out

Snorlax vs Steelix. Snorlax wins

Harrison sent out Houndoom

Snorlax vs Houndoom. Houndoom wins

Ash sent out Bayleef

Bayleef vs Houndoom. Bayleef wins

Harrison sent out Blaziken

Blaziken vs Bayleef. Blaziken wins

Ash sent out Charizard

Charizard vs Blaziken. Blaziken wins

This should be enough proof for you to see the Pokemon that he used in Johto, it also show that Johto team did get to have at least one win each at the Johto League.

Years
His Johto team was not poorly handled because they did got to have atleast one win each in the Johto League.

Ash did use his Johto Team with his Kanto team during the Pokemon League. They didn't make his team evolve because they wanted to show that they can become strong battlers in their basic forms and Phanpy evolve in the Battle Frontier saga, that doesn't really count.

His proof they wasn't poorly handled.

Johto League

Three on three battle

Ash vs Macey

Ash sent out Phanpy.

Macey sent out Slugma

Macey sent out Quilava

Ash sent out Totodile

Ash sent out Squirtle

Macey sent out Quilava

Ash vs Jackson

Ash sent out Pikachu

Ash sent out Cyndaquil

Ash sent out Bulbasaur

Ash vs Gary

Ash sent out Tauros

Gary sent out Nidoqueen

Ash sent out Heracross

Gary recalled Nidoqueen

Gary sent out Magmar

Second round

Gary sent out Blastoise

Ash sent out Muk

Ash sent out Bayleef

Gary recalled Blastoise

Ash sent out Snorlax

Gary sent out Arcanine

Gary sent out Scizor

Ash sent Muk back out

Ash sent out Charizard

Gary sent out Golem

Gary sent out Blastoise

Ash vs Harrison

Ash sent out Pikachu

Ash sent out Totodile

Harrison sent out Hypno

Ash sent out Snorlax

Ash recalled Snorlax

Ash sent out Bayleef

Ash sent out Charizard

This should be enough proof for you to see the Pokemon that he used in Johto, it also show that Johto team did get to have at least one win each at the Johto League.

That's not proof at all.
You're just stating irrelevant wins against fodder Pokemon.
Also, as for Johto team only counts the Pokemon he caught in Johto lol.
Even so, it doesn't erase the fact Ash barely trained his Johto team and they didn't evolve.
Ash was able to make it to top 8 in Johto league cause of his old Pokemon otherwise he had been a toast in the first round. Don't make me remember you how Bulbasaur saved Ash's ass against Meganium.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
That's not proof at all.
You're just stating irrelevant wins against fodder Pokemon.
Also, as for Johto team only counts the Pokemon he caught in Johto lol.
Even so, it doesn't erase the fact Ash barely trained his Johto team and they didn't evolve.
Ash was able to make it to top 8 in Johto league cause of his old Pokemon otherwise he had been a toast in the first round. Don't make me remember you how Bulbasaur saved Ash's ass against Meganium.

That is enough proof.

I'm pretty sure Ash did train his Johto team at least off-screen anyways, and another thing is they didn't need to evolve, because they wasn't suppose to.

Ash did make it to the top 8 in the Johto league because he used his current team and his old team, and most of his Oak Pokemon, the writer's could have had any of Ash's Pokemon win in the first round. Bulbasaur tied with Meganium which did kinda help Ash make it to the next round of the Johto League, any of his Pokemon could have done the samething and that doesn't make his Johto team weak at all.

Years
That is enough proof.
I disagree it's not.

I'm pretty sure Ash did train his Johto team at least off-screen anyways, and another thing is they didn't need to evolve, because they wasn't suppose to.
Off-screen training? are you kidding? That doesn't count unless it is mentioned but such thing didn't happen hence Ash barely trained is Johto team. The fact they didn't evolve can be enough proof they were poorly handled. His Johto team wasn't like his Kanto team who were treated differently despite they didn't evolve.

Ash did make it to the top 8 in the Johto league because he used his current team and his old team, and most of his Oak Pokemon, the writer's could have had any of Ash's Pokemon win in the first round. Bulbasaur tied with Meganium which did kinda help Ash make it to the next round of the Johto League, any of his Pokemon could have done the samething and that doesn't make his Johto team weak at all.
Mainly because of his old team.
Wasn't it Charizard who defeated 3 of Gary's Pokemon including his Blastoise?
Wasn't Charizard who was Ash's final ace Pokemon against Harrison?
Wasn't Bulbasaur who made Ash qualify to top 16 even when Ash was in disadvantage and Bulbasaur defeated Magneton and drew to Meganium?
Wasn't Ash's Squirtle who defeated Macy's Electabuzz and Quilava?

It was his Kanto team's effort mainly at the end of day. I am not saying his Johto team didn't help, they did but not much compared to his Kanto's. His Johto team was poorly handled prior to the Johto league and even if they'd made such great performance, it wouldn't erase the fact they were a disppointment prior to the Johto leauge.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
I disagree it's not.

Off-screen training? are you kidding? That doesn't count unless it is mentioned but such thing didn't happen hence Ash barely trained is Johto team. The fact they didn't evolve can be enough proof they were poorly handled. His Johto team wasn't like his Kanto team who were treated differently despite they didn't evolve.

Mainly because of his old team.
Wasn't it Charizard who defeated 3 of Gary's Pokemon including his Blastoise?
Wasn't Charizard who was Ash's final ace Pokemon against Harrison?
Wasn't Bulbasaur who made Ash qualify to top 16 even when Ash was in disadvantage and Bulbasaur defeated Magneton and drew to Meganium?
Wasn't Ash's Squirtle who defeated Macy's Electabuzz and Quilava?

It was his Kanto team's effort mainly at the end of day. I am not saying his Johto team didn't help, they did but not much compared to his Kanto's. His Johto team was poorly handled prior to the Johto league and even if they'd made such great performance, it wouldn't erase the fact they were a disppointment prior to the Johto leauge.

Ash went to Johto with his Kanto team, giving the fact Johto was meant to be a sequel to Kanto, it was suppose to be the final season of the anime.

They already plan out the teams for the OS series, just because his Johto team didn't evolve doesn't mean they were poorly handled or a disppointment, and that is not proof at all.

Let's see what Ash's Kanto team did in the Johto League.

Charizard did take down 3 of Gary's Pokemon aswell as Blastoise.

Charizard was his final pokemon to take on Harrison.

Bulbasaur did defeated a Magneton and tied with Meganium.

Squirtle did defeated Macey's Electabuzz and Quilava.

The Kanto team did fairly well, besides the fact Ash do have a strong bond with the Kanto starters , don't forget those were his first Pokemon, so it did make sense for them to comeback for the Pokemon League.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I agree with you Kuzehiko. His johto pokemon may have had some good things but they still did not perform as good as Kanto and other teams in my opinion.

Last edited:
Years
Ash went to Johto with his Kanto team, giving the fact Johto was meant to be a sequel to Kanto, it was suppose to be the final season of the anime.
As far as I am concerned that is not true.

They already plan out the teams for the OS series, just because his Johto team didn't evolve doesn't mean they were poorly handled or a disppointment, and that is not proof at all.

Proof they planned out the terms for the OS series?
You're assuming they don't evolving is the only reason why I say they were poorly handled, I already said other reasons.
-His Johto team barely trained
-They had no development at all
-They didn't have enough focus
-And of course they didn't evolve.
This is enough proof to say they were poorly handled and I'm not listing their poor performance in the Johto league.

Let's see what Ash's Kanto team did in the Johto League.

Charizard did take down 3 of Gary's Pokemon aswell as Blastoise.

Charizard was his final pokemon to take on Harrison.

Bulbasaur did defeated a Magneton and tied with Meganium.

Squirtle did defeated Macey's Electabuzz and Quilava.

The Kanto team did fairly well, besides the fact Ash do have a strong bond with the Kanto starters , don't forget those were his first Pokemon, so it did make sense for them to comeback for the Pokemon League.
You're just affirming what I said.
His Kanto team made Ash win every single of his matches.
Ash beats Macy thanks to Squirtle.
Ash draws to Jackson and does it top 16 thanks to Bulbasaur.
Ash beats Gary and does it to top 8 thanks to Charizard.
Ash's final ace Pokemon against Harrison during top 8 rounds is Charizard.
It's not Ash's Kanto team did fairly well, they did the hardest job in the Johto league.

This is all thanks to his Kanto team no matter how you look at it. If Ash only used his Johto team he's not gone further than first round.

I agree with you Kuzehiko. His johto pokemon may have had some good things but they still did perform as good as Kanto and other teams in my opinion.

You mean his Johto team performed as good as his Kanto team?
I disagree if that's what you mean. HIs Kanto team did much better than his Johto team.
I hope I am misunderstanding it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Johto was more of a direct continuation from the first two seasons than it was it's own separate series like the later series were so it did make sense that he used his Kanto Pokémon sometimes. He used the Pokémon at the given time when he felt he needed them, which is what makes sense to do.

Years
Yes, it is a continuation but this guy said it was supposed to be the final season of the anime which is not true.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I disagree if that's what you mean. HIs Kanto team did much better than his Johto team.
Made an error. I meant to say Johto still didn't do as well as kanto.

Years

Oh alright.
As I said above Ash wouldn't have gone further than first round in the Johto league if he only used his Johto team. Clear proof of this is Bulbasaur and Squirtle saved his two matches in the first round.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Oh alright.
As I said above Ash wouldn't have gone further than first round in the Johto league if he only used his Johto team. Clear proof of this is Bulbasaur and Squirtle saved his two matches in the first round.

Yes, it's quite pitiful, every other region has a strong ace except Johto. Heracross was arguably his strongest Johto pokemon and it lost to Gary's Blastoise.

Years
Yes, it's quite pitiful, every other region has a strong ace except Johto. Heracross was arguably his strongest Johto pokemon and it lost to Gary's Blastoise.
Indeed.

Ash replaced Heracross for fodder Tauros, that should be enough proof on how he poorly handled his Johto Team. He also had Bulbasaur in his Johto team till season 5 and this was a bad idea as Bulbasaur was enough strong and his team wasn't balanced at all. Ash even needed his Kanto team to beat Clair, Charizard and Snorlax cough cough.

I'm still pissed Ash didn't take Heracross with him for the BF.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Oh alright.

Yes, it is a continuation but this guy said it was supposed to be the final season of the anime which is not true.

Johto was more of a direct continuation from the first two seasons than it was it's own separate series like the later series were so it did make sense that he used his Kanto Pokémon sometimes. He used the Pokémon at the given time when he felt he needed them, which is what makes sense to do.

You're assuming they don't evolving is the only reason why I say they were poorly handled, I already said other reasons.
This is enough proof to say they were poorly handled and I'm not listing their poor performance in the Johto league.

It's not Ash's Kanto team did fairly well, they did the hardest job in the Johto league.

This is all thanks to his Kanto team no matter how you look at it. If Ash only used his Johto team he's not gone further than first round.

Oh alright.

This is not proof at all.

Is really stupid to say that ever other region had an ace and Johto didn't which isn't true, i mean the strongest Johto pokemon of Ash's team was Cyndaquil and Heracross.

The writer's could have had any of Ash's Pokemon make it to the first round, Ash usually can on his Kanto team when he feel like it, is not saying his Johto was weak are poorly handled.

Johto was just as good as Kanto.

Johto team was just as good as his Kanto team. Not evolving is not a sign that his Johto team was poorly handled.

I do believe Johto was to be the final season of the anime and that is a fact.

Originally Posted by Piii View Post

His proof again that his Johto team wasn't poorly handled.

Johto League

Three on three battle

Ash vs Macey

Ash sent out Phanpy.

Macey sent out Slugma

Macey sent out Quilava

Ash sent out Totodile

Ash sent out Squirtle

Macey sent out Quilava

Ash vs Jackson

Ash sent out Pikachu

Ash sent out Cyndaquil

Ash sent out Bulbasaur

Ash vs Gary

Ash sent out Tauros

Gary sent out Nidoqueen

Ash sent out Heracross

Gary recalled Nidoqueen

Gary sent out Magmar

Second round

Gary sent out Blastoise

Ash sent out Muk

Ash sent out Bayleef

Gary recalled Blastoise

Ash sent out Snorlax

Gary sent out Arcanine

Gary sent out Scizor

Ash sent Muk back out

Ash sent out Charizard

Gary sent out Golem

Gary sent out Blastoise

Ash vs Harrison

Ash sent out Pikachu

Ash sent out Totodile

Harrison sent out Hypno

Ash sent out Snorlax

Ash recalled Snorlax

Ash sent out Bayleef

Ash sent out Charizard

Calling back Charizard and Snorlax to inorder to beat Clair doesn't show any proof that his Johto team was poorly handled, Bulbasaur had nothing to do with the balance of his team, Ash had a strong bond with Bulbasaur and it wasn't a bad idea for him to stay on the Johto team, besides he only stay on the Johto team until season 5.

Last edited:
Years
Please, make sure to do the right quote cause I don't know what you're trying to say nor pointing out. I also dunno what to reply if you don't quote correctly and accordingly.

We better leave it at that.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I am annoyed that an opinion is getting shoved down my throat constantly. I get why some like all of the OS saga and Johto teams but enough is enough. Agree to disagree.

Anyway i would have like to see at least one fully evolved johto starter. Meganium would have worked with Ash. I know that Casey had one but there is no rule that Ash can't share a pokemon with someone else. Or at least have Phanpy evolve in this region.

Back