• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Adding Mega Evolutions

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
This thread is for the concerns of people interested in the new 'MegaEvolutions' and not just here to say how unoriginal and stupid they are. Here are some examples:

megablaziken.png
megalucario.png
megamawile.png
megaabsol.png
megaampharos.png
mewtwo.png

What we know:
  • Spriting them will be difficult and further thought is required to script their data, assuming that this feature might be added in the future.
  • Formes, Abilities, Types and possibly even stats will be changed when a pokémon MegaEvolves.
  • It would probably work by getting the system to store a variable (?) - with all its current stats, abilities, attacks, etc - of the pokémon that MegaEvolves during battle while holding a MegaStone and reverts back to the stored variable after battle.

Last edited:

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I'd make a thread about this but it'd probably be moved here; concerning the new 'MevaEvolutions' such as this:

megablaziken.png

As well as implementing all the new Pokémon from X & Y. Would the MegaEvolutions need a script? (as they can only evolve in battle with a hold item)

And also the new attacks and move effects. How difficult will they be to encode?

While possible, don't you think we should wait for the games to actually be released before planning to code any of its features?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
The likely-hood of that being added at all is next to zero, since it's not essential... I'd prefer to add things like that myself, make my game unique, attacks and gameplay bugs still need fixing before things like that are added.

Plus I'd prefer it not to be added.

Changing a sprite mid battle and moves, abilities or whatever else, isn't easy, since I'm pretty sure, all graphical things are checked at the start... Would require some scripting knowledge for sure.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Oh god, if they put rocketpods on Blastoise I'm going to be very angry.

I'd just give them a new form what I've digested of the scripts so far and put an item check(if battleevo item, show base sprite instead) during the sprite grab( "@sprites["pokemon"].setPokemonBitmap(@pokemon)" I believe) on the status screen.

Abilities at least are very easy to edit midbattle. Mummy is already coded in as a example and I have an event pokemon that changes abilities after x hits taken. Moves has Mimic, Transform, etc for you to look at so I bet that wouldn't be super hard either. No idea how graphics work in battle though.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
That's what I'm saying Lauerolus... The graphic would be difficult since it's "created" at the start of the battle and is fixed.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I don't know why this would go in the "Future of Pokémon Essentials" thread, and it's not really a suggested feature, so I moved it here.

I don't see how you could try planning to add anything from Gen 6 before we know what those things actually are. Mega Evolutions, for example, require a held item and some unspecified other fulfilled condition, and all we know is that "it happens in battle" but know nothing beyond that nor really what that even means.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Nick, Ditto changes sprites midbattle yes? Then it's already in the kit and would just take a bit of work to adapt over. At worst maybe another high level variable to store the extra sprite for switching it. There's no fancy animation yes, but it works.

Maruno is right about us counting chickens while they're still eggs.

Maruno

Years
Giratina changes forms outside of battle too. Better examples would be Castform, Cherrim, Darmanitan and Meloetta.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
It's not just the graphics that change either. I think we'd need to wait to see what kind of status differences they have. All we know so far, is that the stats, forms and abilities change, but we don't have any specifics on that.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Mega evolutions can be dony by Mega Stone. In battle.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Sometimes I think people just post stuff like this just for the heck of it, considering there would be about .002 percent of people using essentials that would actually use it.

I didn't post this for fun, Pokémon Essentials incorporates existing features of Pokémon games.

What we know is that spriting them will be difficult and further thought is required to script their data, assuming that this feature might be added in the future. We also know that Formes, Abilities, Types and possibly even stats will be changed when a pokémon MegaEvolves. The difficult part is getting the system to store a variable (?) - with all its current stats, abilities, attacks, etc - of the pokémon that MegaEvolves during battle while holding a MegaStone and reverts back to the stored variable after battle.

Maruno

Years
His point is that you're trying to talk about adding a feature to Essentials when there's no useful information about said feature. You can speculate all you want on what it's about (in a different part of the forum), but it's pointless discussing adding it to Essentials until we know what "it" actually is and how it works.

My instinct tells me that it's just some more of GameFreak's (stupid) backup tactic: "stick new forms on everything". Until this can be confirmed by actually playing the game and testing scenarios, there's nothing more to say.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Also gonna add the fact that features that only apply to one or two games are pretty much left out of Essentials. However, this is definitely scriptable, we should wait until more information is revealed.

Spriting isn't exactly going to be "hard" unless you're using animated sprites.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I agree that it is to early to include stuff from X/Y. But IMO it is an essential feature that needs to be included after the games are out. There are features like "following pokemon" that are exclusive to few Pokemon games and features like "new types" and "new evolution methods" that most likely will be included in all the new Pokemon games after their first release.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Seems like it is just forms but for non-legendary pokes and with some fancy wrapping. I feel like GF is trying 1UP dream world abilities and make a bigger splash. But who knows for sure until more info and/or the game is released. I'd rather we get 4/5 gen moves/items/ability effects finished before mass speculation about gen 6 takes place.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2016
Its funny, one of the forms of mewtwo is like freeza from dragon ball Z and the concept of Mega Evolutions seems to be the same like it was in Digimon and this feature have the same name lol. Hm, I believe in the future it may be added in pokemon essentials, because after pokemon X and Y its likely every pokemon game will have this feature, so its a matter of time to be in pokemon essentials, since this will turn into a essential feature too. But this is what I think, for now we can only speculate and wait how this feature works and if I say is true lol

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
As of right now, I don't see it being an "Essential" for a Pokémon Game.
For all we know, it could be Gen 6 exclusive.
And to be honest, I can only see it as a means of OP pokemon.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Its funny, one of the forms of mewtwo is like freeza from dragon ball Z and the concept of Mega Evolutions seems to be the same like it was in Digimon and this feature have the same name lol. Hm, I believe in the future it may be added in pokemon essentials, because after pokemon X and Y its likely every pokemon game will have this feature, so its a matter of time to be in pokemon essentials, since this will turn into a essential feature too. But this is what I think, for now we can only speculate and wait how this feature works and if I say is true lol
Really the concept of mega forms is VERY similar to Digimon, specially the design of some like MegaLucario and MegaAbsol there's even Mega X's forms!

Game Freak should put at XY starting screen: Any resemblance to Digimon is purely coincidental.

This even motives me to make a Pokémon versus Digimon crossover using Essentials.

As of right now, I don't see it being an "Essential" for a Pokémon Game.
For all we know, it could be Gen 6 exclusive.
And to be honest, I can only see it as a means of OP pokemon.
And Shadow Pokémon are "Essentials"? Several minigames like the Unown ones are "Essentials"? If many people want (and isn't hard to implement) I didn't see problem at it.

This is possible to mega form be only in gen VI, but I doubt. And even if this happen, this should be more important that Shadow pokémon.

And I know that Shadow Pokémon are already at Essentials so there's no point of removing this feature.

Maruno

Years
Maybe I should weigh in at this point, now that the games have been released.

Mega evolutions can be treated as simple form changes. Stats, abilities and types are all things that can be changed between forms already. There's nothing about the Pokémon themselves that needs any serious work on in order to implement Mega forms.

The parts that would require some work are the technical aspects. These include a button which causes a Mega evolution (which only appears when it's possible to do so, i.e. holding the required item and haven't already performed a Mega evolution this battle), and making sure they revert back at the end of a battle (or does the Mega form only last while it's out in battle, such that if it's switched out it'll return to normal even in the same battle?). Oh, and letting the AI perform Mega evolutions when appropriate. I don't anticipate these being hugely difficult to do, if you know what you're doing.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't possibly find a space in the current battle screen to squeeze in a new button. Another major issue is that there are no sprites of the Mega forms to rip from the games - I don't want to include fan-made ones.

Mega evolutions thus far only exist in one game (XY count as one game), and one instance does not a trend make. While I find it very unlikely that Game Freak would abandon the concept in future games (because when have they ever removed a Pokémon form?), by itself there's not enough to convince me to put any time into it. Plus I'm not that interested in the feature anyway.

And Shadow Pokémon are "Essentials"? Several minigames like the Unown ones are "Essentials"? If many people want (and isn't hard to implement) I didn't see problem at it.

This is possible to mega form be only in gen VI, but I doubt. And even if this happen, this should be more important that Shadow pokémon.

And I know that Shadow Pokémon are already at Essentials so there's no point of removing this feature.
You really can't use Shadow Pokémon as an excuse, because they were in Essentials before I took over. Obviously I'm not going to remove them, because why should I, but them being included in Essentials simply cannot be used as a measure of what kinds of features I would deem as "essential enough" to be added.

Not to mention that I don't solely add "essential" things anyway. I do what I want. In the case of the Unown (Tile) mini-game (and the Slot Machine and Mining mini-games which I also made), I made them because I wanted to make them, because I enjoyed them. I probably would have made them even if I wasn't the leader of Essentials; I just wouldn't have been able to add them directly to Essentials and would instead have posted the scripts as a resource.

Back