• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Companions

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Introduced in Generation Four, we were given companions that we would sometimes travel with. For wild battles, we'd be placed into a double battle with them, and only be able to capture a Pokémon if we knocked one out first. After each trainer battle, our Pokémon would be instantly healed. At the end of the area they'd disappear until you wanted to use them during the Multibattle type in the Battle Tower.

The question is, did you like being visited by a companion every now and then to complete a certain area with? Are there companions you would like to see come back? Did you think this system was entirely unnecessary, or did you think it was a welcome addition? Discuss!

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Thankfully it seems like gen 6 will be bringing them back, in the trailer 2 trainers running together. I loved it. It allowed for some easy grinding, infinite health and double battles, and in gen 5 they thankfully gave you a section or two with various characters. I hope to god if the it does come back the characters have some story involvement, or a nice twist to keep you on your toes, like perhaps future gym leaders or even E4 members.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
I never liked them. I didn't think they were unnecessary, but it just wasn't for me. Mostly because double/triple battles seem boring since all the AI does is use Helping Hand..
I actually want a deeper battle system, but not just by changing the number of active Pokemon.

Years
Sometimes I thought it was irritating because I'd want to catch the Pokemon with no hiccups, and not have another trainer in the way. As long as they give you stuff later they can tag along I guess B)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
What could they really give you though? Outside of Riley, who gave us the Riolu egg, I don't think they really have much to give us. I mean I have nothing against this, but what would you expect them to give us? I was personally happy just to be able to get through an area with full health being restored after every battle, as it made things way easier.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I did like this feature in the past generation of games, so I wouldn't mind if they brought it back~ Oh, by the way, maybe they can give you a variety of items, or TMs, really. Let's say you've met someone, and they've followed you around a bit. Depending on the situation, you might be asked to do something special for them, as an optional sidequest, like, to defeat a wild Onix or something. They can give you various rewards upon completion!

This was a different topic that's relatible to this thread, but:

What if there was a chance that, say, your companion falls in love with you? There can be... interesting stories with that, say, if you have a good enough friendship with them, they can help you battle against the evil team more, or, perhaps there is a certain mechanic with having them around like, having a better chance to say, find "pink" pokemon like Jigglypuff, etc, etc.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
As much as I'd like to see relationships with potential companions throughout the games mean something, I severely doubt that'd we would ever see something like that. I mean, we've been with our rivals and families for some time over the generations and they've had zero affect really on anything in the games. It'd definitely be a neat concept to have in this game though, although I don't really know what kind of effects on the storyline they'd let happen.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I don't mind more companions, it's nice to not travel by yourself all the time, and about complaints about them interrupting Pokemon catching, simply go back to the area alone after the companion has gone, that simple, it's not really a problem.

Years
I enjoyed companions - who doesn't love free healing/100% double battles in the wild (perfect for shiny hunting!) I think it was a bit of a fun addition, going on an adventure with "friends" is always fun! I personally don't care if any come back, as I think new companions would be just as cool! It'd be cooler if your companion had.. skills or something - abilities that your character couldn't do in the overworld like... jumping, or something. And you could go with them to exclusive places?? But unless a feature like that is introduced I can't really see companions coming back due to double battle grass :[

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'd actually love if companions could offer some ability for a certain area that'd allow you to access hidden areas. Maybe something like getting up a cliff that with two people you can get over with the help of each other to find something like a Hidden Grotto or something? I don't know, that sounded better in my head than it typing =P

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I really liked the companion system too, I thought it made the adventure more diverse, plus your pokemon would get healed after every battle, which was a blessing :D
What i think would be cool is that after we accompany them to their destination, we could be able to visit them in their home or something, and maybe trade pokemon with them or battle them?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It depends on how often it occurs. Idm if it's just a few times but if it's in every second area then I'm going to be annoyed. If not, bring on the companions!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Yeah i guess something like that would work, as long as they are somehow kept in the game and don't magically disappear after you have accompanied them, I'd be happy ^^

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Yeah, I would definitely like to see them pop-up again outside of being able to team up with them in the Battle Tower like we did in DPP. I mean they were trying to get somewhere, where is that? I'd love to be able to see them again, maybe not re-battle (although I'd love to), but just see them in their natural environment and interact with them. I mean, if they were important enough to be used as a companion, let's see them elsewhere in the world! It's not like they just disappeared =P

Guy

just a guy
Years
Sometimes I thought it was irritating because I'd want to catch the Pokemon with no hiccups, and not have another trainer in the way. As long as they give you stuff later they can tag along I guess B)
I won't even lie, when this sort of thing happened to me, I would knock out my companion's Pokémon early so I can catch the Pokémon I want before they get a chance to kill it.

I'd actually really like to see this show up again. I enjoy those few occasions when we get to travel with someone ─ especially in long caves. I don't feel so lonely and plus there's the bonus of having them heal our Pokémon as we go and maybe even give us an item or Pokémon at the end.

Seeing them again later is also something I wouldn't mind seeing. It would be nice to know they didn't just disappear after we spent that time traveling together. It would make their character seem like less of a tool.

ProfessorBeeching

Professor Of Fail
Years
i didn't like the companion system. . . Then again, I also don't like wild double battles where I can't catch both Pokemon. You'd think a trainer would have good enough eyesight to get them both but LOL!nope.

Anyway, the companions themselves also felt far too useless in gen IV, with relatively small dialogue and were only useful for healing (which we have our potions for) and taking on multiple trainers (which we could do anyway). Not to mention, once you completed the area, they are never seen again unless you feel like using them at the Battle Tower. Yeah, real fun.
At least Riley gave us an egg.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I won't even lie, when this sort of thing happened to me, I would knock out my companion's Pokémon early so I can catch the Pokémon I want before they get a chance to kill it.
That gives me an idea. What if you get to talk to your companions, and decide what action either of you can take in the battle? Might make battles longer but it'd certainly become more interesting!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
That gives me an idea. What if you get to talk to your companions, and decide what action either of you can take in the battle? Might make battles longer but it'd certainly become more interesting!

This feature would make battling more strategic and catching pokemon so much easier, but why would a trainer let you give orders to one of his Pokemon? I guess they could implement it, but i think it's rather unlikely...and you can always go back to catch the pokemon you want...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It's more like, working as a team. Making decisions to benefit both you and the companion instead of just doing whatever, in a way.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Well i guess you could make some basic strategic decisions, like "concentrate on healing/supporting", "attack the pokemon with higher HP", "Use super-effective moves" or something like that

Back