• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Altered Emerald (386+ patch with new maps and 7th gen battle engine/evos)

What's your rating, guys?

• ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 351 70.8%
  • ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 115 23.2%
  • ✰ ✰ ✰

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • ✰ ✰

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters

luuma

searching for Meaning, offering HA numel
Years
Some more errors/weird things/bugs I caught.

I'm afraid these are all already fixed in the current patch, but it'll take me til next weds to have Internet back.

The Mach Bike is on that "useless island". follow the flowers. It's also in the special things bit in my faq

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 16, 2018
Can you please change back the registeel old ability heavy metal is very useless useless , and how about you give to jirachi a good special move as flash cannon or maybe luster purge? i just ask this why it's my favorite Pokémon and his ability is so good. By the way for awhile is the best romhack then i know and just a question where is the tms bulk up, calm mind and thief thanks in advance.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 31, 2018
Hi iumaa, I love your rom and I have already won 2 times, I would like to collaborate with some suggestions.

Spoiler:

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Now about the great and powerful Dunsparce:[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
Spoiler:

The Set

Spoiler:

[S-HIGHLIGHT]PD: Sorry for the bad english[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]PD2: Keep going with your good ideas![/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
Not sure if already reported, but dratini has for some reason lugia's Stats, also I'm sure the same TM compatibility.

There's also a hidden item in fray mansion isle (east of the house) that I can't pickup. I get to the tile but I don't get anything.

Edit: also, it didn't evolve at lv30.

Last edited:

luuma

Years
Hi iumaa, I love your rom and I have already won 2 times, I would like to collaborate with some suggestions.

Spoiler:

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Now about the great and powerful Dunsparce

Thanks for the feedback and invested suggestions!!

I'll add something to explain all pa'i canyon's difficult puzzles, but right now I just love it being an impenetrable mass of super tough stuff to keep people scratching their head and coming back to it. By far my fave route in the game. All of them are solvable but some need you to know how the game engine actually works rather than think intuitively about how it should work in real life. For example, you should know that boulders don't fall down sandy slopes correctly

Not every ability and pokemon has to be good. I thought aerilate dunsparce would be a nice little switch up even if it lowered his stab damage from 1.5x to 1.33x. The main issue seems to be that Aerilate robs him of stab, so I'll consider moving it but right now it seems to fit best on him imo. Adds a little more tactical use of super effective hits.

Trace was removed because it had a glitch. It's back now

A lot of these changes are done for thematics, dunsparce doesn't look like a bug, he looks like a drill that can use flying things. He has no tongue so I kept him stuck with glare rather than lick. He doesn't fire beams or buzz or roll over things, he uses a drill and his head, so he has drill run and headbutt and not steamroller or signal beam.

Ehh.. he doesn't say it after the screenshot I've took though.

Just reread this. You're dead right, I thought he was reminding the player. My bad!

Not sure if already reported, but dratini has for some reason lugia's Stats, also I'm sure the same TM compatibility.

There's also a hidden item in fray mansion isle (east of the house) that I can't pickup. I get to the tile but I don't get anything.

Edit: also, it didn't evolve at lv30.

The hidden item is only obtainable from one side of the glass case. It was meant to force the player to experiment with moving the room around to talk at it from different angles, but really it probably is just confusing. I've changed it now.

Like you say, it has lugia's stats. It's also, um, literally lugia in every way. I thought it was just the sprite's height, but no. It's lugia.
Whoops.

Can you please change back the registeel old ability heavy metal is very useless useless , and how about you give to jirachi a good special move as flash cannon or maybe luster purge? i just ask this why it's my favorite Pok?mon and his ability is so good. By the way for awhile is the best romhack then i know and just a question where is the tms bulk up, calm mind and thief thanks in advance.

You're totally right about registeel. I threw heavy metal on it because it kinda fits and hadn't yet given it to Donphan the Weight Guy. Now it has Full Metal Body, which is effectively the same as it used to have

Jirachi gets doom desire, but your suggestion is a very good one because it takes until level 50 for it to get a steel move. I have given it flash cannon, and mirror shot, and put Doom Desire at level 40. Thanks!

The tms you asked for are at the Trick master's house, route 135, and dewford respectively

Just wondering, your previous tagline was "the one that never stops updating." At what point do you think you're going to hit a wall given that your rom hack isn't even expanded.

Wow, this really looks interesting. I'll be giving this a spin soon. I just wish you had probably added the DS version of Pokemon gen1-3 sprites or changed the battle backgrounds as it would make the game more attractive.

Gonna answer these both at once: A sprite (and for that matter, a cry) takes up a huge amount of data. Putting in maybe three or four new sprites is about equal to putting in a whole new route plus all the events and people and items it needs to be cool. DP's (and bw's) sprites are actually bigger than the 64px ones found in emerald (at 80px and 96px respectively) so adding them in would eat up a fair chunk of data. Going from 64 squared to 96 squared pixels is actually more than doubling the space taken up by sprites. This is also part of the reason I don't add in new evolutions and instead just buff their possessors.

I will update the tilesets for battles by the end of the year though. It adds a lot to the game, even if it does take up loads of space on the back end.

I've considered changing the overworld tilemap, but really I see no reason to at all. I like the feel of the game as is, personally! The gen4 look would be an odd one to have for hoenn.

Since I haven't updated looks (heck, with everything I've added I've still only got to e800000 from where free space starts) I could feasibly still quadruple the amount stuff I've added before I have to think about free space. And even then I have spare space earlier in the rom!

Hi luuma, this is an awesome game. One thing, whenever my eevee levels up, it always tries to evolve into jynx. Can you fix that bug
Fixed in latest patch

Evolutions are now fixed, i think. This stuff also caused tyrogue to evolve into hitmonlee every time and cascoon to evolve late, among others

Edit: Patch out. Could be a missing text box or two due to some back-end changes but I think I caught everything. All bugs reported in this thread are definitely out of it but since I basically had to revert two patches worth of progress to save on space (ty pge for your unusual import function) I may have returned some that I found myself.

Also a change that makes Foresight/scrappy nullify all immunities and two hip new abilities.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 16, 2017
I cannot find Registeel. The cave which he is originally in has been moved elsewhere.
But where ?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 31, 2018
Could you expand the storage system? At this moment I have the pc full and I am saving the items in the pokemons.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
Well, I've just applied the patch to a ROM I had lying around (years old... I made it from my cartridge in 2012). Upon applying the patch, I'm seeing some glitches of some variety, which may be due to it being from whatever edition (first edition I'm sure) of Emerald my cart is.

The glitches I'm seeing appear to be script/map related. When I talk to Nurse Joy, nothing happens, so I was healing using the PC. The other issue I noticed was that Pokemarts still appeared outside for some reason? I honestly think I'm using the wrong version of the ROM (even though mine's from an original cart), that or my IPS Patch applier is broken, I suppose.

Edit:
I tried two different IPS patches, and two different Emerald ROMs (though upon inspection with the Linux diff utility the Emerald ROMs had the same contents). In Petalburg City, when I went into the mart, it appears as if map data was missing, or it tried to load from somewhere that had been changed.

Edit 2:
Seems that someone else also noticed that you can't talk to Nurse Joy in Oldale. I think the Petalburg mart thing is more severe than that since you can heal with the PC. However, I also just remembered that I was able to go past the guy looking at his own footprints, without him stopping me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 16, 2018
hi luuma i have a idea, can you change the basestats of jirachi and celebi for then to. be different and special. Sorry my phone' s screen is broken.
Jirachi hp80 atk100 def120 spatk120 spdef100 spd80
Celebi hp80 atk80 def80 spatk120 spdef120 spd120
Thanks for read this.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
Thanks for the feedback and invested suggestions!!

I'll add something to explain all pa'i canyon's difficult puzzles, but right now I just love it being an impenetrable mass of super tough stuff to keep people scratching their head and coming back to it. By far my fave route in the game. All of them are solvable but some need you to know how the game engine actually works rather than think intuitively about how it should work in real life. For example, you should know that boulders don't fall down sandy slopes correctly

Not every ability and pokemon has to be good. I thought aerilate dunsparce would be a nice little switch up even if it lowered his stab damage from 1.5x to 1.33x. The main issue seems to be that Aerilate robs him of stab, so I'll consider moving it but right now it seems to fit best on him imo. Adds a little more tactical use of super effective hits.

Trace was removed because it had a glitch. It's back now

A lot of these changes are done for thematics, dunsparce doesn't look like a bug, he looks like a drill that can use flying things. He has no tongue so I kept him stuck with glare rather than lick. He doesn't fire beams or buzz or roll over things, he uses a drill and his head, so he has drill run and headbutt and not steamroller or signal beam.

Just reread this. You're dead right, I thought he was reminding the player. My bad!

The hidden item is only obtainable from one side of the glass case. It was meant to force the player to experiment with moving the room around to talk at it from different angles, but really it probably is just confusing. I've changed it now.

Like you say, it has lugia's stats. It's also, um, literally lugia in every way. I thought it was just the sprite's height, but no. It's lugia.
Whoops.

You're totally right about registeel. I threw heavy metal on it because it kinda fits and hadn't yet given it to Donphan the Weight Guy. Now it has Full Metal Body, which is effectively the same as it used to have

Jirachi gets doom desire, but your suggestion is a very good one because it takes until level 50 for it to get a steel move. I have given it flash cannon, and mirror shot, and put Doom Desire at level 40. Thanks!

The tms you asked for are at the Trick master's house, route 135, and dewford respectively

Gonna answer these both at once: A sprite (and for that matter, a cry) takes up a huge amount of data. Putting in maybe three or four new sprites is about equal to putting in a whole new route plus all the events and people and items it needs to be cool. DP's (and bw's) sprites are actually bigger than the 64px ones found in emerald (at 80px and 96px respectively) so adding them in would eat up a fair chunk of data. Going from 64 squared to 96 squared pixels is actually more than doubling the space taken up by sprites. This is also part of the reason I don't add in new evolutions and instead just buff their possessors.

I will update the tilesets for battles by the end of the year though. It adds a lot to the game, even if it does take up loads of space on the back end.

I've considered changing the overworld tilemap, but really I see no reason to at all. I like the feel of the game as is, personally! The gen4 look would be an odd one to have for hoenn.

Since I haven't updated looks (heck, with everything I've added I've still only got to e800000 from where free space starts) I could feasibly still quadruple the amount stuff I've added before I have to think about free space. And even then I have spare space earlier in the rom!

Fixed in latest patch

Evolutions are now fixed, i think. This stuff also caused tyrogue to evolve into hitmonlee every time and cascoon to evolve late, among others

Edit: Patch out. Could be a missing text box or two due to some back-end changes but I think I caught everything. All bugs reported in this thread are definitely out of it but since I basically had to revert two patches worth of progress to save on space (ty pge for your unusual import function) I may have returned some that I found myself.

Also a change that makes Foresight/scrappy nullify all immunities and two hip new abilities.
The hidden item of fray mansion is outside, on the island. right to the mansion.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 27, 2023
Can you please reconsider adding version numbers? You don't even need to include all the changes.

Just to help players keep up with the updates.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 16, 2018
More suggestions

- giga drain 75 power
- togetic, blissey and gardevoir fairy type
- megapunch 95 accuracy
- how about you do a animation to the moves fiery dance and seed flare
Thanks in advance.

luuma

Years
Well, I've just applied the patch to a ROM I had lying around (years old... I made it from my cartridge in 2012). Upon applying the patch, I'm seeing some glitches of some variety, which may be due to it being from whatever edition (first edition I'm sure) of Emerald my cart is.

The glitches I'm seeing appear to be script/map related. When I talk to Nurse Joy, nothing happens, so I was healing using the PC. The other issue I noticed was that Pokemarts still appeared outside for some reason? I honestly think I'm using the wrong version of the ROM (even though mine's from an original cart), that or my IPS Patch applier is broken, I suppose.

Edit:
I tried two different IPS patches, and two different Emerald ROMs (though upon inspection with the Linux diff utility the Emerald ROMs had the same contents). In Petalburg City, when I went into the mart, it appears as if map data was missing, or it tried to load from somewhere that had been changed.

Edit 2:
Seems that someone else also noticed that you can't talk to Nurse Joy in Oldale. I think the Petalburg mart thing is more severe than that since you can heal with the PC. However, I also just remembered that I was able to go past the guy looking at his own footprints, without him stopping me.

Fixed these now, thanks man.

I cannot find Registeel. The cave which he is originally in has been moved elsewhere.
But where ?

route 115

New Patch out!

For some reason, my Eevee evolved into Jynx. lul

this has been fixed for like a month, I hope?

Can you please reconsider adding version numbers? You don't even need to include all the changes.

Just to help players keep up with the updates.

oh my god this is such a good idea! why didn't I do this??

Hello! What is the new learnset for the new golem and does it have any changed stats?
Thank you!
80/120/90/155/75/55 below half health.
80/120/140/65/75/45 when above half health
Gets access to Shield Slam, Heat Crash, Armor Break, Mega Punch, Zap Cannon, Flamethrower by TM, and fire type stab explosion

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2019

Hellos there. Kudos on an interesting ROM. =D Having a small repel bug where it tells me that my repels are lingering when they're not and won't let me use anymore...and my pokemon are definitely stronger than the tall grassers/cave dwellers/ocean urchins out there, so not sure what's going on.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
I thought I'd let you know that both the patches you've included are actually the exact same file. This is because the Trashman/1986 ROM is the UE ROM. You can verify by seeing the checksums.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 6, 2019
Hi, I'm having the same problem with repel. Except all my pokemon are higher level than the ones I'm encountering.

Back