• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Oddity Assessment

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Pok?mon Oddity Assessment

Pok?mon Oddity

This concept goes back some years, to an entry I submitted in the Roleplay Olympics based on the Pok?mon Odyssey: A New Beginning RP called Pok?mon Oddysee: A New New Beginning. The piece explored the idea of parallel universes within the Odyssey continuity by looking at one where the world of the RP was compacted from a massive kingdom to a simple high school. The main catch was that all the characters were still Pok?mon, which was intended to create an absurdist story. Every character in the RP was represented in their High School anime archetype based on their role in the main story: the antagonists were converted to the student council; the protagonists were part of a club that opposed the goings on of that student council. Ever since, I have always wanted to take this concept and actually turn it into a fully fleshed out RP of its own. At one point, I did ask SV permission to pursue it as it originally was and make it semi canon with the Odyssey timeline, though a parallel one. I understand his reticence however and feel that it would also afford me more individual creativity if I do not make it part of that multiverse.

Which brings me to why I am here. Pok?mon Oddity is a spiritual successor to that idea, and something that I think could be incredibly fun: a high school slice-of-life anime RP where all the characters are different Pok?mon attending the school. The RP will function in an episodic format much like an actual Anime would where conflicts mostly get resolved before the start of the next episode. These conflicts will still occur inside a larger story that will span wider portions of the game. Episodes will generally cover a single day at the High School, but can last up to a week depending on what the episode is about.

Characters in Oddity will need to fill the role of an anime archetype, and your Pok?mon choice should correspond in some way to your intended archetype, although I do encourage you to be creative in this regard, you don?t need to play a Tyranitar to be the school bully or be a Tsareena to play a Tsundere. The goal is absurdism so the further you can stretch your archetype to match your Pok?mon while still making it believable the better. Characters will go about their own routines, and don?t always need to interact directly with the plot in every episode. Just like in a TV show there should be side stories. I think this will also be useful for people whom need to break away from the RP for a bit, as it affords them the ability to simply not appear in an episode.

Originally, I had this idea that Basketball would replace war in Oddysee to preserve the usage and choosing of Pok?mon moves. While this is a neat idea, I think I am going to consider changing it to something different. I have not settled on what it will be as of yet and for all I know I could decide that Basketball is acceptable, but for now this is still up in the air.

Factions within the school consist of two playable groups, the Student Council and the Unnamed Rebel Faction, as well as a third group that will consist entirely of NPCs and will be the primary driving force of the overarching plot. Episodes will mostly focus on the conflict between the Student Council and the Rebels of the school, with the third faction finding ways to disrupt both for their own gain. Members of the Student Council Faction do not need to actually be members of the Council, but rather be aligned with them and work toward that group?s goals. Rebels consist mainly of those who do not agree with the Student Council?s stuck up and repressive policies. They are Pok?mon who represent a freer more creative and individual life at school, whether they be artists or delinquents.

I am still working on the plot details, but I do have a working concept for how the story will progress. I am posting this rough version of my RP concept pretty much for the reason you see in the tag; to gauge interest. So, before I get too far ahead of myself, I very much would like to know who among you would be interested in something like this? I think it would be fun and feel I have been holding on to this for long enough. It?s time for me to finally give this a shot. Thank you for your time.

Reactions: SV
Years
This sounds like a really unique idea, I'm not sure how you'll keep it interesting for people to be frank, but I really like to see fresh concepts introduced in the RPT.

Years
I do enjoy absurdist humor, and slice of life shows, and playing as Pokemon! Though I confess I know very little of anime archetypes, and high school was many years ago, so if I join, I'd need a little assistance making a believable character. Consider this a show of support. You have my attention, good sir.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
I'm having trouble grasping exactly what you're trying to communicate without context on what that anime is.

Are you aiming only for fans of the anime? If so, that's ok.

If not, you should explain this as if you're explaining it to an outsider. Thanks!

Years
I do enjoy absurdist humor, and slice of life shows, and playing as Pokemon! Though I confess I know very little of anime archetypes, and high school was many years ago, so if I join, I'd need a little assistance making a believable character. Consider this a show of support. You have my attention, good sir.

Same situation here.

This seems fun. I hope it gets through interest check :)

Back