• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you think that some of the Unova Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon?

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Actually, the ONLY Pokemon I don't think looks like a Pokemon is the Klink line. If it were presented to me and I had no prior knowledge of it I wouldn't think it was a Pokemon. It looks like some sort of object in an anime videogame haha.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Actually, the ONLY Pokemon I don't think looks like a Pokemon is the Klink line. If it were presented to me and I had no prior knowledge of it I wouldn't think it was a Pokemon. It looks like some sort of object in an anime videogame haha.

Well not only that but it looks kind of uncreative, too. It just seemed like they slapped two Pokemon together, but then again they did that with Magnemite. Actually, Klink could pass for a Pokemon but Klinklang is different from what we've known before, so yeah. ;(

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I think they look a bit different than the other Pokemon, but hey- variety is good, right? :)

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I fail to understand how they could possibly look the same without looking the same o_O

Pinta77

I agree. Lots of the pokemon look horrible like klink, and that vanilla ice cream one, and the chandulere thingy. In my opinion, polemon are suppossed to look like something that would appear in nature unless there is a logical story behind it (like porygon, mewtwo etc.) and that coffin pokemon is simply in poor taste in my opinion. It's kind of a dark kind of thing to put in a rated E kids game.

That being said, there are still some nice new additions. Sewaddle, swadloon and levanny are a nice addition. So is deerling and the starter pokemon (except the water one). And ducklet and swanna are nice too =)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Some of the Pokemon are indeed hideous and stupid. Did they run out of ideas already or maybe they thought that a bunch of gears stuck together would make a GREAT Pokemon. The ice-cream Pokemon was quite lame too, one form was cute enough but they had to make it evolve into more ice-cream that practically looks the same as the last.

I love Pokemon that are based off animals. Bouffalant (Can't remember how to spell that) and Zebstrika are awesome. Animal-based Pokemon would be more appealing then random items coming to life.

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
It's pretty hard to define what makes a pokemon a pokemon, especially considering a changing art style over ~15 years.
I don't really have a problem with the designs of gen 5 pokemon, just like any generation there are pokemon I'm fond of and pokemon I'm not so fond of. It's just the way things go.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
I think ik what you mean how some unova mon look too obvious like the coffin Pokemon unlike something like hitmonlee imo unova was the laziestly designed Pokemon no offense fans

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Some of the Pokemon are indeed hideous and stupid. Did they run out of ideas already or maybe they thought that a bunch of gears stuck together would make a GREAT Pokemon. The ice-cream Pokemon was quite lame too, one form was cute enough but they had to make it evolve into more ice-cream that practically looks the same as the last.

Some of the gen I Pokemon are indeed hideous and stupid. Did they never have ideas to begin with or maybe they thought a bunch of magnets stuck together would make a GREAT Pokemon. The gas-bomb Pokemon was quite lame too, one form was funny enough, but they had to make it evolve into more gas-bombs that practically looks the same as the last.

Years
If it's a Pokemon, then of course it looks like a Pokemon!

Honestly, when 6th gen comes out there will be "Do you think that some of the 6th gen Pokemon don't look like Pokemon?" threads, and people will start thinking 5th gen Pokemon look like Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Personally I gotta say that the Unovan Pokes look like characters from the show Courage The Cowardly Dog tbh.

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
Years
Problem is, there are only so many creatures that can be altered in some way to become Pokemon without copying the previous ones. Eventually, there will come a time when more and more Pokemon will shy away from living creatures to inanimate objects. Personally, I found them more interesting than the "natural" forms. (First gen, Grimer and Muk had my interest longer than about half of the roster.) Maybe if we found more artificial places to catch the artificial Pokemon...(as in, Power Plant from gen I)

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Pokemons are Pokemons. Even some of them look weird, they are pokemon.
This!

Pokemon are Pokemon...and if you ask me, I don't see anythin' with the unova Pokemon design. Unless you're talking about legendaries, then they're suppose/should look more majestic than a regular Pokemon. They're called legendary for a reason.

Pfft...It's not like the unova pokes are wearing clothing and digivolving...whoops, my bad...I kinda went off subject just then. :p

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
Well, it depends on your perspective. Pokémons are weird creatures, and their weirdness can range widely. Sure there are a bunch of weird Unova Pokémon, but they still classify as Pokémon if:

1) They fit in Pokéballs
2) They battle

And since all Unova Pokémon have those traits, I guess they still pass as Pokémon. Even if it looks a bit weirder than the old generations, it's still Pokémon. .-.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
Years
Must admit I was utterly shocked by the looks of only the starters at first, but then, I guess once you get used to the new looks, it's okay. And I literally fell in love with Serperior <3

...Well except maybe for Maractus, it looks kindasorta like Palmon ;

maractus.jpg
palmon.gif

Maybe not exactly, but I can't help but think of Palmon when I see Maractus. That might be because I'm a weird person, though ? Baha...:'D

Then again, I'm alright with the designs, they still look decent, not like they designed a trash can and labeled it as a Pokémon. xD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Jigglypuff reminds me of Koromon

Weedle and Kunemon

Meowth could pass as a Gatomon.

Digimon and Pokemon use similar styles. They are going to look alike.

Gyarados would make a perfect Champion level Digimon. His design is more advance than most Pokemon but isn't advance enough to go higher than a Champion. All Pokemon fit into the Digimon world, while the reverse isn't true cause there are set standards by fans that would make Ultimate and above and some choice Rookie and Champion forms not fit in well with Pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If you guys are going to be comparing Pokemon to Digimon then using Gen 5 examples along with Gen 1 ones would be best otherwise people may possibly just start discussing only if Gen 1 Pokemon look like Digimon (I know the purpose of doing it, just for safety reasons). :( Juuust because people are likely to probably do that!

Also I like the point about fitting in pokeballs and battling, since that's true since it's kinda like don't judge a book by its cover.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
Years

Also I like the point about fitting in pokeballs and battling, since that's true since it's kinda like don't judge a book by its cover.

I agree, too. I think it's just a matter of habit, whenever there is a change, people will not really like it that much at first because they are used to the old/previous stuff, but in the end they eventually accept it, most of them (in that case anyway).

And so, the designs no matter how "weird" they may look to some, are still Pokémons. I mean...So far Gen 1, 2, 3 and 5 are my favourites.
Just as long as a plain baseball ball with nothing special about it, isn't going to be classified "Pokémon", I'm okay. xD

Back