• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scenario VI - gyms or contests?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
What would you do?
A fun little discussion here in Pokemon General where you discuss what you would do in certain scenarios!

What is this about?
These are simply about hypothetical scenarios that would occur to you if you were in the Pokemon World (or not!). This is pretty much the entire premise of WWYD (What Would You Do); that is, what would you do in a given scenario? Remember that there are no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts!
Can I suggest some scenarios, too?
Of course you can! In fact, I highly encourage you to! Feel free to PM your ideas to Dragon or adventure!
What would you do in this scenario?
You've gotten your first pokémon, and you get on great! After traveling through your first routes and arriving at your first bigger city, you realize that you have to make a decision - battler or contestant?
Are you going to focus on beating the gyms and becoming the champion of the pokémon league, or are you going to train and care for your pokémon so they can win their way through the contest halls and become the most stylish team in the region? What will you do?

Years
Honestly, I'd stick as a battler. I'm not too into animal contests such as the Pokemon contests. Battling could also bring more glory and a chance to travel the region more. (Exploring new areas, training, etc.)
Contests just seem too closed in, which doesn't allow the full excitement of exploring the Pokemon region.

Years
As much as I love contests and how they've been implemented into Pokemon games, especially in RS where you could take on different contests throughout the region, I much prefer taking on gyms and focusing on becoming the champion of the region.

(Although the Hoenn grand festival is really cool in the anime)

Years
I don't mind doing contests in the games, but the idea of dressing up my Pokemon and coming up with attack routines just doesn't have any appeal to me (pun kinda intended). I like the thinking on the fly you get when battling, and I think there's a lot more strategy involved than just hoping you put up a better showing than your opponents. Plus, like Radiating said, I think there's more opportunity for exploration as a trainer vs. a coordinator.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I would choose gyms. Unless I happened to have some standout Pokemon that was awesome in contests. But I'd probably stick to battling.

pkmin3033

I think the answer to this one is obvious:

season13_ep26_ss03.jpg

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I might find the battling life to be too competitive, strangely enough. Contests is more about caring about your pok?mon's looks and health and style, which I might find fun and relaxing. Although, in the anime they battle in contests too haha.

Fawful_X

Monster-hunting Red Mage
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 2, 2018
As one of the more easygoing sorts that enjoys expressing his own personal style, I can see myself being a contestant more than a trainer. Thinking on the fly wouldn't be something that would mesh well with the stresses of typical battles, plus there's always the chance that an unfortunate accident can lead to a grim end.

...Then again, I'm not the kind of person that enjoys a lot of attention, though doing the gym challenge would likely direct quite a lot of that on me towards the end, especially if it has a tournament thing at the end like in the anime.

Sirfetch’d

I enjoy Pokemon a lot for the thrill of battling so I naturally prefer Gyms more. Contests are great and are a fun little thing to do on the side, but in no way stand up to actual Gym battles to me. I think of Gym battles as milestones on your adventure.

colter519

Youngster
Years
Hmmm...I'd probably go with battling because I'd want to adventure the region more, and I prefer performing myself. Training pokemon to perform wouldn't satisfy me nearly as much. However, if performing like Serena did in the anime is an option, then that may be a possibility.

Years
Oh I love this! I would be a Gym battler for sure. Contests would be fun to watch, but I feel like battling would be something I could get passionate about. Makes sense for me... I'm a martial artist in life, and while I love performing, my dream isn't exactly making it on Broadway, haha.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Seeing how I understand nothing about fashion and stuff, I think I'd totally suck at dressing up my Pok?mon, so Gyms it is!

In all honesty though, if I'd actually get a Pok?mon I'd probably just keep it at home and pet it all day.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Contests, I'd be more io that than battling if I'd live in it.
But I ain't gonna dress up my Pok?mon for it. At least keep it minimal.
I'll find a different way somehow...

Years
While I do love how well Contests were portrayed in the anime, I'd still rather be a trainer who challenges Gyms. I am like, not the best at beauty and dressing up so you can see why I'd fail as a Coordinator.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
Depends on what kind of contests. If it's oras contest spectaculars or the contests in the anime,contests. If it's rse contests or DPPt super contests,I'd collect gym badges.

NoMoreStars

Trying
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Do I have to choose? To be honest though, even though I love battles in-game, I'd probably focus more on contests though since I don't do really well in high-stress situations and can plan out my course of action. I guess I just got kinda attached to contests since I had a Shiny Milotic and trained and groomed it to beat all of the Master Rank contests lol. I'd probably battle on the side and maybe even challenge a few gyms for fun, but my primary goal would be contests.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
I would definitely become a gym battler cause I catch Pok?mon so I can be the very best Pok?mon trainer like no one ever was.

Back