• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FR/EM]Show item image when it added to the bag

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Good morning!
These days i saw an update of an Italian hack, where there was a very interesting feature, that is the loading the image of items when they added to the bag.
Since it seemed like a nice thing to implement in our ROMs, today i'll explain how to do that!

# 1 - Hook and Routine asm
Spoiler:

Important notes:
- it's not compatible with Jpan's Hacked Engine, for now
- The routine works only with the type message 1 (MSG_FIND) of the giveitem:
giveitem 0xIndex 1 1

#2 - Final Result:
9qQLLYC.png

Last edited:

BluRose

blu rass
Years
i was doing a quick lookover and saw no swi commands and had a heart attack
and then i looked it over again and saw it anyways xD

buen aporte~

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I can't believe no one commented on this....Great Tutorial!
i was doing a quick lookover and saw no swi commands and had a heart attack
and then i looked it over again and saw it anyways xD
buen aporte~
Sakib66 and BluRose, thank you!

I have a problem. Items given by NPC don't appear.
Strange, did you apply Jpan's hacked Engine to your ROM?
At the moment, the routine doesn't work with JHE...

Small update: I've extended compatibility even with Emerald!

RuFF

Hope you're having a RuFF day!
Years
Sakib66 and BluRose, thank you!

Strange, did you apply Jpan's hacked Engine to your ROM?
At the moment, the routine doesn't work with JHE...

Small update: I've extended compatibility even with Emerald!

Nope. I didn't use JPan's Hacked Engine.

It works when the item is found on the ground but not when it is given by an NPC.

EDIT: Well. I just read the OP and I realized it only works on MSG_FIND.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Good morning!
These days i saw an update of an Italian hack, where there was a very interesting feature, that is the loading the image of items when they added to the bag.
Since it seemed like a nice thing to implement in our ROMs, today i'll explain how to do that!

Spoiler:

Important notes:

#2 - Final Result:
9qQLLYC.png
Is there a way to change the x and y positioning of the sprite? I think looks a little too low. :/

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 5, 2023
Do you do this with a hex editor? If yes then please tell how

First compile the .asm file. Then you will see a .bin file. Open that with your Hex editor, copy those bytes and paste them in free space of your ROM

Years
Wow this is neat, thanks for sharing it. Any way to make it work with the other types such as the hidden Itemfinder items? Even if not, it's still great!

Edit: Unfortunately it appears to crash the game when picking up TMs in Emerald, not sure about the other games.

Last edited:

Criminon

Forever Spriting
Years
This is great! Would it be possible to do other methods, or add customization to the ASM?

Would be good to see the poke portrait pop up with the item icon inside, or be able to change the x and y in the asm. Also I noticed someone said that it only appears with MSG find. Any way to make it work with all versions of acquiring items?

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Is there a way to change the x and y positioning of the sprite? I think looks a little too low. :/
The routine is indeed cool - but senseless, when you cant change X&Y position and it dont showing up a seperate box in the background.

At this time, being the object sprite is a tile, it is not possible to change the x/y coordinates if not 8 pixels.
So, even if I changed the coordinates, it would still be decentralized.
If we want to have the object sprite central, we should use two asm routines: the first to create an oam with the object's image, the second delete it when the message ends.
Unfortunately I'm denied with oam...

Wow this is neat, thanks for sharing it. Any way to make it work with the other types such as the hidden Itemfinder items? Even if not, it's still great!

Edit: Unfortunately it appears to crash the game when picking up TMs in Emerald, not sure about the other games.
Did you remember to put +1 in routine calloffset?

This is great! Would it be possible to do other methods, or add customization to the ASM?

Would be good to see the poke portrait pop up with the item icon inside, or be able to change the x and y in the asm. Also I noticed someone said that it only appears with MSG find. Any way to make it work with all versions of acquiring items?
I think it's possible, but it will lose all the automatism that has the routine; let me explain:
The routine works automatically, reading the index of the object and making it appear during the msgbox.
To show the portrait of a pokemon, which default isn't inside the ROM, for example, you should create a table with images and use a variable to decide which portrait to appear.
I think it's a pretty awkward thing...

In this period i'm very busy with the exams, as soon as, when i've some free time, i'll try to improve the routine by making it compatible for both types of message.

Mystelex

This is amazing! Gotta give it a shot for sure.

Edit: Just realized you said this doesn't work with JPAN's engine. :(

Years
Good morning!

Spoiler:

Important notes:

#2 - Final Result:
9qQLLYC.png

I'm learning a bit of asm, I already compile and use a hex editor, but I still lack a lot ... the question is that when I go to look for offset 081973E8 and 08099738 does not appear .. I put Control + G to search and it does not come out .. should we swap?

RuFF

Hope you're having a RuFF day!
Years
I'm learning a bit of asm, I already compile and use a hex editor, but I still lack a lot ... the question is that when I go to look for offset 081973E8 and 08099738 does not appear .. I put Control + G to search and it does not come out .. should we swap?

Just search 1973E8 and 99738 only

Years
Did you remember to put +1 in routine calloffset?

Yes, and it was working with other items such as Rare Candies, Potions, etc. However, when picking up a TM (in my case the Iron Tail TM in Meteor Falls), it resulted in a crash while the message box was showing; unlike the instant crash when not +1-ing the offset.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Yes, and it was working with other items such as Rare Candies, Potions, etc. However, when picking up a TM (in my case the Iron Tail TM in Meteor Falls), it resulted in a crash while the message box was showing; unlike the instant crash when not +1-ing the offset.

I'm like 4 months and 1 or 2 weeks late, but I just tried this routine because of reasons and I'm getting the same result, except that something's also screwing up the ROM's initial event.
When you exit the truck, your mom never comes out to greet you. You can move around freely and there's the truck which you can walk through perfectly fine. I even recorded a video about it.

Did I screwed up somewhere or something?

Years
Good morning!

Spoiler:

Important notes:

#2 - Final Result:
9qQLLYC.png

Thanks for this enhancement. I'm having a little bit of troubles here tho. Wether it's a clear or not fire red rom, the image shown is with a transparent background and it shows your map behind. Like this below, any suggestions?

s0WK9Vu.png
MfK13mv.png

Last edited:
Back