The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Internet & Technology
The Coder's Lounge

Internet & Technology Here's where we nerd out about the world wide web and all forms of technology!

Old February 9th, 2018 (4:30 AM).

Nature: Calm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marth View Post
    You know what I don't like? When I'm working on something and I get a nice idea on how to cleanly solve a problem. Then I look at the structure some more and realize that I can't do it due to how the system was designed. And the only remaining solution that doesn't require rewriting everything ends up being functions containing hundreds of lines of nothing but conditionals. <_<
    Yikes. That sounds fun.
    Old February 12th, 2018 (3:54 AM).
    What were you the god of again?

Nature: Quiet
    Quote:
    You know what I don't like? When I'm working on something and I get a nice idea on how to cleanly solve a problem. Then I look at the structure some more and realize that I can't do it due to how the system was designed. And the only remaining solution that doesn't require rewriting everything ends up being functions containing hundreds of lines of nothing but conditionals. <_<
    Yowch. I've experienced that myself, coming up with solutions only to find I can't really apply them. It's quite a painnnn.

You know what's not fun? Trying to write an implementation chapter of a report I've got to do for my final year thesis when I'm still in the process of building my project. o/ What's extra annoying is I sent a rough draft of the chapter to my supervisor who instantly called it a 'rambling mess.' Of course I'm going to tidy it up and revise it as soon as I have my damn app project built, but that did sting. I can't code and document my work at the same time. </3

Old February 14th, 2018 (10:28 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Incineroar View Post
    Ouch. I like having the cleanest possible solution when it's available. If I have to write a solution that ends up not being optimal, I'm never happy with it.

That's pretty harsh feedback. Did he at least provide pointers into where it was a "rambling mess"? I feel that having at least some feedback into what he didn't like would definitely help with a thesis.
    Unfortunately, he didn't. :') And to make matters worse, when I met him for a meeting yesterday not only had he not bothered to look at them (I sent copies to him last week), he was /still/ going on about the previous work. I got so sick of listening to it, and wanted to walk out of that meeting as me and two other classmates had already spent 10 minutes of it staring at the back of my lecturer as he typed away on his computer. Ugh!

Thankfully though, I'm a lot further along in my project, coding wise. Got the app itself mostly built with one of the last things I need to do before moving into testing is figuring how to save a user's current latitude and longitude coordinates. I've gotten as far as getting the phone to tell me the lats and longs, which update as I move around, but I dunno how to capture that data and store it as strings or doubles somewhere.

Old February 15th, 2018 (7:23 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Incineroar View Post
    If you're using Android, it's actually not terrible. I have some code somewhere that allows me to store content. Let me see if I can dig it up...

Ah. Try using Android's SharedPreferences. From there, you can store data in a key-value tuple set. If need be, since you use key arguments as arbitrary strings, you can dynamically create extra entries as you plot your data, and then just retrieve the data later when you want to load it, or even just output it through adb if that's an option once you need to request that data.
    Tahs for this! I think that's the route I was trying to do at one stage, yeah, but it was passing in nulls whatever way I had it set up. I'll have to double-check my code.

Old February 28th, 2018 (10:46 AM).

Nature: Serious
      Hey guys, could I be added to the list of programmers? :D

I've been programming since seventh grade, when I started learning Java. Since then, I've also learned bits and pieces of C, C++, Python, Assembly, and probably a few other languages I can't think of right now. I currently am in college as a computer engineering student.
      Old March 4th, 2018 (10:42 AM).

Trying to learn some PHP in the near future! As of now, I've been strengthening my JavaScript skills!
        Old March 5th, 2018 (9:07 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
        Trying to learn some PHP in the near future! As of now, I've been strengthening my JavaScript skills!
        I've been doing it as a part of my class at school right now, and I just wrote the midterm for it, actually. I think we'll be playing around with jQuery in the lab that we have today, but otherwise we've been doing basic HTML/CSS/JavaScript right now. It's not terrible tbh.

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

I coveted that wind, I suppose.

Moderator of Internet & Technology - Signature Image
        Old March 6th, 2018 (6:22 AM).

Nature: Jolly
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Vigilance View Post
        PHP is a great web language and it's a shame that it's dying as is. I picked up PHP six years ago as something to work with since I wanted to parse XML data and display it in a format I liked.
        Old March 8th, 2018 (9:50 PM). Edited March 8th, 2018 by wakachamo.
        -

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
        PHP is a great web language and it's a shame that it's dying as is. I picked up PHP six years ago as something to work with since I wanted to parse XML data and display it in a format I liked.
        PHP is a horribly inconsistent, aged monolithic nightmare that isn't dying fast enough. :(
        Old March 9th, 2018 (12:01 PM).

Shame. I do love building projects with it. <3 What's replacing it btw? Python?

Old March 9th, 2018 (9:42 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by LeviathanX View Post
        Shame. I do love building projects with it. <3 What's replacing it btw? Python?
        I'd imagine Ruby. Python sounds like a good candidate too.

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

Old March 10th, 2018 (3:38 AM).

Greaaat. two languages I have yet to even dabble on. Guess I'll take a look into Python first, as I got a few calls from recruitment agencies who were saying that Python was being looked for when hiring graduates here.

Old March 10th, 2018 (7:49 AM).

Nature: Jolly
        I'll be honest, I thought Visual Basic was the only language that didn't use the semicolon to end statements. Ruby looks pretty neat
        Old March 10th, 2018 (12:54 PM).
        -

Quote:
        Originally Posted by LeviathanX View Post
        Greaaat. two languages I have yet to even dabble on. Guess I'll take a look into Python first, as I got a few calls from recruitment agencies who were saying that Python was being looked for when hiring graduates here.
        This is usually the part when someone comes along and mentions that programming languages can be industry-specific and wildly fluctuating from one day to the next, meaning the one important skill you can pick up as an engineer is simply your ability to quickly switch and learn from one language to another. :)
        Old March 10th, 2018 (1:03 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by wakachamo View Post
        This is usually the part when someone comes along and mentions that programming languages can be industry-specific and wildly fluctuating from one day to the next, meaning the one important skill you can pick up as an engineer is simply your ability to quickly switch and learn from one language to another. :)
        Here I am stuck in a rut with JavaScript... :x
        Old March 11th, 2018 (11:01 AM).

Oh I agree! Granted I was daunted by the prospect of trying to understand different languages and their syntaxes, but it turned out to be fun and interesting for me to study. :)

Old March 11th, 2018 (11:43 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
        We've done a bit of js, and now we're already making dive into jQuery. I don't get it at all yet @[email protected]

Old March 12th, 2018 (12:57 AM).
        Lord

Am I the only one who's fed up with GUI designers? Those things are litterally only capable of creating gigantic overblown monstrosities and whenever you decide to write your own GUI component it turns out to be a hugh mess getting this thing to actually show up in them.

And then people give me flak whenever I mention that I prefer writing GUIs with a simple text editor. <_<
        Old March 16th, 2018 (2:27 PM).
        We come close to find Singularity

Nature: Adamant
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
        What's got you stuck? You learning it still, or have a project at hand?

Quote:
        Originally Posted by wakachamo View Post
        This is when you learn that the second door is labeled "washroom_mens" and it just has a urinal ($DEITY help you if you're a man and need to go #2, because womenstoilet($male) is not permitted). and this my friends is why php is terrible. use anything else, thank you

Quote:
        Am I the only one who's fed up with GUI designers? Those things are litterally only capable of creating gigantic overblown monstrosities and whenever you decide to write your own GUI component it turns out to be a hugh mess getting this thing to actually show up in them.

And then people give me flak whenever I mention that I prefer writing GUIs with a simple text editor. <_<
        Yeah, I definitely feel you there. Even in Linux, things like Qt have taken the text out of UI building. Most of the time I would just use a browser to get things done, whether that's on a server or in Electron/Muon or whatnot is whatever.
        ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
        ( don’t stop the groovin’ )
        Old March 30th, 2018 (4:45 AM).

Goshhh I love global data-* attributes in HTML5. <3 I've been spending the last few days building a small web based game for a Multimedia assignment and using and abusing data-* values to pass variables from PHP arrays to Javascript. It's been a fast dev'ing process too which is good for me because I don't have a lot of time to spare on this. Oh and using AJAX is a blast too? I only wish that I understood it a bit more.

Old April 3rd, 2018 (11:57 AM).

I'm working on re-creating Minesweeper for a school assignment. We have to use JavaScript and jQuery and I'm already hating this.

I've managed a hacky workaround but it's slowly getting there.

Old April 6th, 2018 (3:07 PM). Edited April 6th, 2018 by Inkblots.

You know what's not cool?

Requiring triple pointers for an assignment

Bad enough that the prof insists on us using double pointers for everything even when there's no logical reason to use a double pointer instead of a single pointer, but this is just ridiculous

(I get that he's trying to be really thorough in teaching us pointers but to require them when they aren't needed just confuses the matter even more honestly, at least for me. If you're going to do that, come up with assignments/examples where they actually are needed to accomplish the task, rather than just using them for the sake of using them)
          Old April 8th, 2018 (4:46 AM).

I'm going through the feedback on my dissertation and at one stage I saw my supervisor ask what I am using XML for? Uhhh maybe because it's used in the design of layouts in the android app that I am building? Like damnnn.

Old April 14th, 2018 (10:18 AM).
          Lord

Team projects at school, I tell you...we gat an assignment to write a piece of software for another group of pupils at school. Leaving out the fact that I'm in that one group who was not allowed to demand another group to build some software for me, I also managed to get the most competent team members.

It's only a two man team, mind you. Thing is: my first partner bailed out and moved back one year leaving me on my own. Shortly after I got a replacement. Haven't heard anything from him for months. Well, supposedly he just doesn't want to go to school, for whatever reason, as well. Doesn't change the fact, that I'm on my own, again. It also doesn't help, that my teacher told us, to write a 15 papers long assignment including documentation, specs, test scenarios, etc.

Well, at least I got pretty far into the development of this thing and I also happen to still have my LaTeX template I made for another assignment. Also, next year I need to develop something on my own anyway, so: good practice, I guess?

I also learnt a bit about OOP GUI development, so that's nice.
          Old April 14th, 2018 (7:51 PM). Edited April 14th, 2018 by Inkblots.

Quote:
            Team projects at school, I tell you...we gat an assignment to write a piece of software for another group of pupils at school. Leaving out the fact that I'm in that one group who was not allowed to demand another group to build some software for me, I also managed to get the most competent team members.

It's only a two man team, mind you. Thing is: my first partner bailed out and moved back one year leaving me on my own. Shortly after I got a replacement. Haven't heard anything from him for months. Well, supposedly he just doesn't want to go to school, for whatever reason, as well. Doesn't change the fact, that I'm on my own, again. It also doesn't help, that my teacher told us, to write a 15 papers long assignment including documentation, specs, test scenarios, etc.

Well, at least I got pretty far into the development of this thing and I also happen to still have my LaTeX template I made for another assignment. Also, next year I need to develop something on my own anyway, so: good practice, I guess?

I also learnt a bit about OOP GUI development, so that's nice.
            Well, at least you're learning something from it lol

One of my classes way back when I was in psychology, we were assigned groups right at the beginning of the semester to work together on a literature review. One of the girls in the group I think answered the initial e-mail sent out deciding on a time and place to meet, but she never showed up and halfway through the semester we hadn't heard a word from her, so we informed the professor, who said she would look after it and that we could hand in a slightly reduced version of the assignment. We never heard anything else after that, so just assumed that the girl had either dropped the course, or the professor had assigned her alternate work since halfway through the semester is a little late to start pitching in.

Then, at the end of the semester, twenty minutes before the assignment was due (and after we'd handed it in and were all chilling celebrating the last day of class) the girl sends an e-mail with "her part" of the assignment (which was about 75% useless anyway because she had written about topics and articles that the rest of us had already covered).

Honestly I really wonder about some people sometimes. I can tolerate a lot of crap but when people just straight up don't bother to communicate it drives me crazy. And being 10 years older than my classmates now with actual work/life experience behind me... I feel like I'm herding goldfish sometimes lol (not that every 17/18-year-old is like that, I've had at least one solid dependable person in every group so far, but some just very obviously aren't ready for the responsibility yet)

I've been declared "Team Mom" several times now

Quick Reply