We come close to find Singularity

Age 21
Male
Research Triangle / Jakarta
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted September 1st, 2019
5,491 posts
9.9 Years
If I had the source code I might be able to pinpoint the problem… I know a little Visual Basic 2008/2010, and I think it might just be poor programming that's easily fixable, like a typo in the code that the VB dictionary didn't pick up because the typo meant something else… You know. :P

I think that Sappy is, to put it simply, a really sappy program all around. Sappy doesn't work on Vista (which was released in 2006) saying that you need some VB libraries. If you install those libraries, you get another crash, even if you're running XP. So my conclusion of all of this is that improper programming etc. caused the conflict between certain VB libraries (pre-included in some version of the .NET framework) and Sappy that the program can't handle. I also don't think that Sappy is designed to handle plug-in DLLs, so there's no solution there either.

My answer to all of this is to do a complete re-write of the entire program from scratch, and distribute it as Sappy x.x.x Mark 2 or some such, or at least do a beta for the new release. Other than that, I honestly don't know what to tell people who experience crashes; My Sappy 2005 and 2006 both crash on their own (they'll recognise an unsupported ROM like Red Rescue Team, but still crash when loading Ruby for instance).
the beat goes on (ノ^o^;)ノ
ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
the beat goes on (ノ^o^;)ノ
ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
( don’t stop the groovin’ )

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere

Age 21
Male
Hoenn Safari Zone
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted April 17th, 2017
700 posts
10.4 Years
If I had the source code I might be able to pinpoint the problem… I know a little Visual Basic 2008/2010, and I think it might just be poor programming that's easily fixable, like a typo in the code that the VB dictionary didn't pick up because the typo meant something else… You know. :P

I think that Sappy is, to put it simply, a really sappy program all around. Sappy doesn't work on Vista (which was released in 2006) saying that you need some VB libraries. If you install those libraries, you get another crash, even if you're running XP. So my conclusion of all of this is that improper programming etc. caused the conflict between certain VB libraries (pre-included in some version of the .NET framework) and Sappy that the program can't handle. I also don't think that Sappy is designed to handle plug-in DLLs, so there's no solution there either.

My answer to all of this is to do a complete re-write of the entire program from scratch, and distribute it as Sappy x.x.x Mark 2 or some such, or at least do a beta for the new release. Other than that, I honestly don't know what to tell people who experience crashes; My Sappy 2005 and 2006 both crash on their own (they'll recognise an unsupported ROM like Red Rescue Team, but still crash when loading Ruby for instance).
Most crashes are because of dependencies and other issues, Some people from the Fire Emblem hacking society have come up with this

It's been modified, and works perfectly in Vista, and has some new features. :)

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.

Age 24
Seen February 1st, 2017
Posted March 26th, 2016
378 posts
9.2 Years
I too have the "Can't find file MPlayDef.s for inclusion" error.

>I have MPlayDef.s in the same folder as my .s file to be assembled
>I have the newest version of sappy (that supposedly fixed this problem)

Can anyone help? Thanks
(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

supershadow64ds

Confused Noob Programmer

Male
Seen September 16th, 2019
Posted April 13th, 2019
18 posts
8.2 Years
Unfortunately, no versions of Sappy (That I can acquire) are compatible with Windows 7. I instead use Song Inserter, but I have no clue how to use it. I have a voice group offset I want to use (0x43B8A0) but I do not know the 4 byte header for the Wild/Trainer battle music. Does anyone know these?
I'm sure I'll put something useful here.

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter

Male
EGYPT
Seen January 28th, 2013
Posted August 16th, 2012
42 posts
7.4 Years
Really nice tutorial Magnius but i have a problem when i put my midi file in Mid2Agb folder i open Mid2Agb folder i found no.s file for my midi plz any help and sorry for bad english
My Tutorials:
Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step By Step ;)
How To Insert An OW Sprite In NSE Classic Step By Step.:cross-eye
Hacks I'm Currently Making

Join My Hacking Team(D.A.T.S)

My deviantART

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru

Seen February 17th, 2014
Posted February 10th, 2014
295 posts
14.3 Years
If you're having problems with the VBAL error or just couldn't run Sappy on Windows 7, I've added a link at the bottom of the first post, that will fix that.

Also, the "Rom Tools" link with Sappy and Mid2Agb has been removed. You can now get Sappy and Mid2agb here.
Check out my original music on my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MagniusKun?feature=mhee

PokeBunny

Pokemon Game Maker

Age 19
Male
South Africa
Seen April 14th, 2016
Posted November 13th, 2014
34 posts
7.1 Years
I get a strange error. Sappy 2005 will do everything--compile, play, but it compiles bad. Once it is bad it crashes when it plays and doesn't show the header and stuff. There is no apparent way around this! Please help.

Oh wait, not higher than 0x900000...
special POKeBUNNY

The Pokemon Game Developer
If you are wondering why I'm taking long to make Pokemon Hot Red and Cold Blue... It's because I barely get computer time. Be patient (I'm not!.

My SoundCloud!!!!!!!!!

Arctic Eagle

Hero of Nintendo 64s

Age 22
Male
New Bark Town
Seen March 6th, 2018
Posted August 5th, 2014
12 posts
6.5 Years
When I try to run Sappy, I always get a window that says

"Run-time error '339' component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid",

so I can't even open Sappy.

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit:
I would like it if someone would answer my question.

Edit#2:
Does anybody read this thread anymore because I've been waiting for an answer to my question for over a week now and I am getting impatient.

Edit#3:
It seems like I'm not going to be getting an answer anytime soon so I'll wait and see if anyone will freaking answer for crying out loud!!!! I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one, so can ANYONE just tell me what I'm doing wrong upon opening Sappy!?!? To put it simply, what does this error mean and how can I fix it? Oh, and I tried the link above and it downloaded but it still showed the same error, oh, and I'm also running the program from a sandisk flash drive, so if that is the problem I would like to know how to make it portable from a flash drive. Sorry if I came off as rude but I get impatient and I tend to get overexcited.

Edit#4:
I didn't realize this but I accidentally added 2 links in my last edit, sorry...
I am Arctus Platner, and I might not have a single clue of what I am doing, but as long as it gets finished, it will be fine!
My DSHack Profile
Male
Seen January 2nd, 2014
Posted November 15th, 2013
36 posts
6.1 Years
When I try to run Sappy, I always get a window that says

"Run-time error '339' component 'vbalCbEx6.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid",

so I can't even open Sappy.

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit:
I would like it if someone would answer my question.

Edit#2:
Does anybody read this thread anymore because I've been waiting for an answer to my question for over a week now and I am getting impatient.

Edit#3:
It seems like I'm not going to be getting an answer anytime soon so I'll wait and see if anyone will freaking answer for crying out loud!!!! I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one, so can ANYONE just tell me what I'm doing wrong upon opening Sappy!?!? To put it simply, what does this error mean and how can I fix it? Oh, and I tried the link above and it downloaded but it still showed the same error, oh, and I'm also running the program from a sandisk flash drive, so if that is the problem I would like to know how to make it portable from a flash drive. Sorry if I came off as rude but I get impatient and I tend to get overexcited.

Edit#4:
I didn't realize this but I accidentally added 2 links in my last edit, sorry...
Dude, calm down... If it asks for a file, google it and download it. Put it on the Sappy folder. If another error pops up asking for another file, download that one too. I had to download about 3. Usually that stuff happens in Win7 64bit. I only downloaded the files Sappy asked for, but you can try download the whole Visual Basic Runtime, just google it.
If you're still having problems with Sappy, google for Sappy 2006 mod 17.1. Works like a charm.
"I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one" - You're not going to get all the answers to the questions you ask all the time (in life in general). Work on your patience my friend... learn to tolerate mistery and uncertainty :)

How do you change the tempo of a song in Sappy permanently? I'm trying to slow down a song from 120 bpm to 60 bpm, but the changes only occur while I'm playing the song.
The way I'd do it: Rip the MIDI, edit the tempo, reloop it and insert it again. Trying to change the tempo in hex or anything of the likes would be a pain in the butt and really messy. Changing the tempo in Sappy does nothing, only slows the song down for replay.

Arctic Eagle

Hero of Nintendo 64s

Age 22
Male
New Bark Town
Seen March 6th, 2018
Posted August 5th, 2014
12 posts
6.5 Years
Dude, calm down... If it asks for a file, google it and download it. Put it on the Sappy folder. If another error pops up asking for another file, download that one too. I had to download about 3. Usually that stuff happens in Win7 64bit. I only downloaded the files Sappy asked for, but you can try download the whole Visual Basic Runtime, just google it.
If you're still having problems with Sappy, google for Sappy 2006 mod 17.1. Works like a charm.
"I'm a very impatient guy and I expect an answer when I ask one" - You're not going to get all the answers to the questions you ask all the time (in life in general). Work on your patience my friend... learn to tolerate mistery and uncertainty :)
I know that I need to, but I'd been waiting for an answer for a long time and this is the first time in 2 months since I've been on here but I am only 16 years old, so it might come off as rude. I'm just glad I finally got an answer and I'm going to try that now, thank you.

Edit:
I got the same error again and so I then went into the compatiblity settings and made it where it should work in win7 through xp compatibility settings and it still showed the same error again(of course it did). Might there be something else wrong because I did almost exactly what you said I should do and it didn't really work out for me so I may need to move the missing file to the hard drive of one the computers I'm using or just wait until later to worry about the music, I've only been rom hacking since March or April...

Edit #2:
Well, I got it to work, but it crashed when I tried to insert a .s sound file, so I decided to delete the program because I can't figure out what the hell I'm trying to do, and stick to what I am best at, Map and Tile hacking, at least until I can find someone to help me with this that I actually know so that the hack will get finished quicker,(and easier) so I can hack other games.
I am Arctus Platner, and I might not have a single clue of what I am doing, but as long as it gets finished, it will be fine!
My DSHack Profile

ipatix

Sound Expert

Male
Germany
Seen April 26th, 2018
Posted August 3rd, 2017
146 posts
11.4 Years
Which language do you use? The song order should be the same although the offsets of the songtable differ. The US version fon Emerald should be in the list though. If you want to I can sent you my sappy.xml with correct offsets.
Visit my YouTube channel (music hacking and other stuff): http://www.youtube.com/user/theipatix

Arctic Eagle

Hero of Nintendo 64s

Age 22
Male
New Bark Town
Seen March 6th, 2018
Posted August 5th, 2014
12 posts
6.5 Years
Hi there! I don´t know what to do if i have windows xp and how do i make it to wild battle theme?
Wow, this is my first post in a while. I know that this may be off topic, but I happen to be very good at nds music hacking, and I might be able to help with that if you like. :)
My DSHack Profile

LxNightWalker

Sniper of The Year

Male
Philippines
Seen January 20th, 2016
Posted October 27th, 2014
15 posts
5.4 Years
Thank you, this is a wonderful tutorial! But I'm wondering, how can I make MIDI files?
This signature has been disabled.
too wide
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Advertiser Content