Advertiser Content
Seen May 3rd, 2019
Posted May 3rd, 2019
3 posts
171 Days
Hello!

I've just finished decapping the Pokémon Emerald disassembly, and I want to share it to anyone that might have an use for it.

It's a best-effort attempt (lots of search & replace and Notepad++'s formatting features so I didn't risk mistyping anything), I might have missed some evil all-caps words, if you notice any please let me know.

The first commit is the actual decapitalization, the second one is a small change to the text input window so it will switch from upper to lower case after you input the first uppercase character, somewhat like a smartphone's virtual keyboards would do.

I think it makes it easier and more natural to input nicknames and the player's name in a properly capitalized way, but feel free to revert it if it doesn't suit your tastes.

The repository is on Github, Wyrserth/pokeemerald, sorry but can't post the full link yet. Hope it will help someone out there!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User

Male
Montevideo (Uruguay)
Online now
Posted 14 Hours Ago
2,060 posts
11 Years
Hello!

I've just finished decapping the Pokémon Emerald disassembly, and I want to share it to anyone that might have an use for it.

It's a best-effort attempt (lots of search & replace and Notepad++'s formatting features so I didn't risk mistyping anything), I might have missed some evil all-caps words, if you notice any please let me know.

The first commit is the actual decapitalization, the second one is a small change to the text input window so it will switch from upper to lower case after you input the first uppercase character, somewhat like a smartphone's virtual keyboards would do.

I think it makes it easier and more natural to input nicknames and the player's name in a properly capitalized way, but feel free to revert it if it doesn't suit your tastes.

The repository is on Github, Wyrserth/pokeemerald, sorry but can't post the full link yet. Hope it will help someone out there!
It might have been a better idea to put those commits in a separate branch specific to this decapitalization project of yours, so if one day you end up adding more stuff to the master branch of your repository, people will still be able to easily get the decapitalization-related changes alone easily.
But well, this looks pretty nice. It's not exactly hard to do, but it can get super tedious, no doubts.
I'll give it a shot, to see if I can find anything you might have overlooked.

Good work :D!

EDIT: The words used for the Pokémon Mart's questionnaires would be one thing that could be decapped.


EDIT2: You forgot to decap the berries' names in the src\berry.c file, except for the Oran Berry which was the only berry whose name was decapped there.


It was pretty easy, so I just went ahead and did it, and I also submitted a Pull Request for you to approve, so it'll be included in your repository.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User

Male
Montevideo (Uruguay)
Online now
Posted 14 Hours Ago
2,060 posts
11 Years
Thanks for the pull request, merged!

About the Pokémart text, it's already fully decapitalized: i.imgur com/1S3hZE7.png.
I'm not sure why it shows like that for you though, did you try it at a specific Pokémart?
Yes, it was Oldale Town before getting the Pokédex and the Running Shoes. I was on my way to May in Route 103.
However, I just checked the questionnaire in Petalburg City's Mart and it's no different, which is weird because it definitely looks like those words should have been decapitalized.


I wonder what's happening here.

EDIT2: I even tried recompiling a ROM and starting a clean savefile, but nothing, the words are still in upercase.
What's more, this ROM has no other change than the 3 decapitalization related commits. That's it.
Seen May 3rd, 2019
Posted May 3rd, 2019
3 posts
171 Days
Yes, it was Oldale Town before getting the Pokédex and the Running Shoes. I was on my way to May in Route 103.
However, I just checked the questionnaire in Petalburg City's Mart and it's no different, which is weird because it definitely looks like those words should have been decapitalized.

I wonder what's happening here.

EDIT2: I even tried recompiling a ROM and starting a clean savefile, but nothing, the words are still in upercase.
What's more, this ROM has no other change than the 3 decapitalization related commits. That's it.
Did you try to delete the build folder altogether before recompiling? My only guess is that it must be using some leftover build data, because those words are only defined in that one place and used everywhere in the all-encompassing easychat system (Pokémart questionaries, the trend in Dewford, the npc quotes in the battle facilities and so on).
Sorry I can't be more of help!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User

Male
Montevideo (Uruguay)
Online now
Posted 14 Hours Ago
2,060 posts
11 Years
Did you try to delete the build folder altogether before recompiling? My only guess is that it must be using some leftover build data, because those words are only defined in that one place and used everywhere in the all-encompassing easychat system (Pokémart questionaries, the trend in Dewford, the npc quotes in the battle facilities and so on).
Sorry I can't be more of help!
Your suggestion made me think about the make clean command, so I tried it out and that seemingly worked. Thanks :)

Sidrk

Professional Lurker

Age 24
Male
India
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted July 26th, 2019
145 posts
10.6 Years
Thank you so much for saving me tons of time! It would be great if you did a branch for the battle_engine_v2 too, but it wasn't too much work to fix merge conflicts myself either :D

edit: Here's a link to the repo at the instant where I just updated the battle_engine_v2 with the decap if anyone's interested
Advertiser Content