• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Pyrite

Years
I caught mew after it used transform and the game told me I caught a ditto. Looked in pc and it was a level 90 Ditto.

-If you lose to Blaine, he acts as if you won and you still get the Volcano Badge.

Thanks for pointing out. I've just fixed these two bugs. Mew will no longer know Transform at the level it appears. To clarify in regards to the blaine gym bug, you still black out but get the badge, isn't it?. That's the problem I could test myself, and assuming it's only that it's already been fixed and the hack has been reuploaded.

Major Bug: Due to not being able to exit Gyms until either whiting out or defeating the leader, it's possible to get stuck inside Viridian's gym before Blue returns.
Thanks for pointing it out. It had already been reported and was fixed in the last update.

-If you encounter a wild Pokémon on Route 22, the Johto wild battle music plays instead of the Kanto wild battle music.
This look like it's carried over from the original Pokemon Crystal so it will probably stay that way. It's not a very big deal in my eyes and although I might get into it eventually it's not a priority right now. Hope you understand.

Would you consider this hack better than Complex Crystal? I've only played that version, but there were a lot of bugs. I do love that there was so much time and research put into this game. Big fan of G/S/C Rom hacks
There are far more features in this hack than in complex Crystal as far as I can tell but you have to keep in mind that the majority of the features in Pokemon Pyrite are mostly battling related (they are all detailed in the OP). It depends on what kind of hack you're looking for.

Also, looking back on one of your older videos of this ROM hack (youtube.com/watch?v=8sGAdCimWWs) I noticed you used sprite icons for each pokemon. Is this also a feature in this version?
I just didn't like them in the end. It's just that they didn't fit for me, I preferred the original mini sprites in the end.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
Thanks for the responses! I just downloaded your latest patch, so I'll be playing through even more tonight.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
Question: When/How do Kadabra, Graveler and Haunter evolve? They are level 46 now and don't seem likely to evolve before level 50 at least if it's by level...maybe I need an item of some sort...

Suggestion: did you think about applying the 4th gen physical/special split ? Pokemon like Gengar, Sneasel, Gyarados and Feraligatr would beneficiate from it...

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2016
Could I get a detailed explanation as to how the Ecruteak City move tutor works? It said "variety of moves", but he's only offered to teach my Slowbro for example one move (Psywave and only Psywave).

Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2024
Nice hack! Pretty challenging so far, I think it would go a long way if you included a pdf with evolutions, learnt moves, ect. Now that would be a god send.

Years
Question: When/How do Kadabra, Graveler and Haunter evolve? They are level 46 now and don't seem likely to evolve before level 50 at least if it's by level...maybe I need an item of some sort...

Suggestion: did you think about applying the 4th gen physical/special split ? Pokemon like Gengar, Sneasel, Gyarados and Feraligatr would beneficiate from it...

They will all evolve by level. Just not as soon as level 46. If you downloaded the hack after the Kadabra evolution fix, it will evolve into Alakazam eventually.

One of the main priorities with Pokemon Pyrite was to stick to original gsc mechanics, which, of course, means no special split.

Could I get a detailed explanation as to how the Ecruteak City move tutor works? It said "variety of moves", but he's only offered to teach my Slowbro for example one move (Psywave and only Psywave).
It will teach any compatible RBY TM move except those that can be already learned by the pokemon in another way (by level up or by GSC TM). If you go to the move tutor right now with your Slowbro, he will try to teach it a different move unless you are very unlucky. You probably tried to have the move tutor teach Slowbro a move multiple times only within seconds or minutes, and without doing anything else, so the move didn't change. I don't want to reveal the mechanics of the move tutor, but if you check it again now, it's very unlikely that he will try to teach Slowbro Psywave again.

Nice hack! Pretty challenging so far, I think it would go a long way if you included a pdf with evolutions, learnt moves, ect. Now that would be a god send.
Sorry, but I don't want to. I like that the players discover them by playing, and by surprise. Nobody had a document with the evolutions and moves when Pokemon G/S/C were released (or any other game) until after some time. At least in Pokemon Pyrite you know what moves your Pokemon can learn and what pokemon they evolve into, it's only about the when or possibly the how. I think this way makes it at least a bit more exciting (to the extent that this hack can be exciting).

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
Managed to get a shiny Ditto...:D Shiny breedng here I come!

Questions : Will my level 52 Growlithe ever learn Crunch? And is my level 48 Starmie forever stuck without recover? Can it learn Psychic by level or do I have to use the TM...
If we don't choose to teach a certain move via the move tutor will it ever roll back and be teachable again? Can we teach several R/B/Y moves to the same pokemon?

Years
I believe Crunch is only an egg move on Growlithe, so it's not learned by level up. If you caught your Staryu at a high level it has already forgotten recover. You'd have to catch a lower level staryu (which can be found somewhere else) if you want a Starmie with Recover. Starmie doesn't learn Psychic by level up in Crystal, so you'd have to expect that it doesn't in Pyrite either. Starmie is already a very good pokemon, so it didn't need a boost on its moveset or anything else.

If we don't choose to teach a certain move via the move tutor will it ever roll back and be teachable again? Can we teach several R/B/Y moves to the same pokemon?
Yes, all moves will rotate eventually. For Pokemon that can learn more moves via tutor, there's less chances for a specific move to appear since there are more moves to draw from, but all moves have the same chances to show. You can teach a different move to the same Pokemon multiple times, provided it doesn't know the move already.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
I think it's a bug or maybe it is intended like that but there's a male top trainer in Victory Road who seems to be rebattable almost every time we pass in front of him...It's the one with : Azumarill, Exeggutor,Tyranitar, Ninetales in his team...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 28, 2016
This is an incredible effort and a delight to play. I love all of the map changes so far!
The difficulty is refreshing due to not feeling unfair. I would suggest changing the way the game saves to prevent quick and easy save-scumming, which removes any sense of real danger from Pokemon - for example, Quick Saves Only in the pause menu (previously implemented in other hacks so it is possible, with the downside of deleting your progress when you don't save again!), OR permanent saves by talking to the nurse in the Pokemon Center (or some other stuff, like a special character who stands around waiting to record your adventure).

The challenge in implementing this seems pretty okay if you do one or the other - the ideal solution of implementing both at the same time seems intensely difficult since the game would need -two- save systems, or an interchangable save system that reminds you to make a another temporary / permanent save if your last save was temporary.

EDIT: Also, a forced+scripted save before fighting legendary Pokemon that saves you in front of the Legendary, but the Pokemon in question has disappeared. Prevents save-scumming for infinite retries.
Alternatively, make every dungeon before reaching a Legendary very grueling and lengthy (Somehow disable or nerf Repel?).
In both cases, having Legendaries respawn after Elite 4 unless caught would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Years
I think it's a bug or maybe it is intended like that but there's a male top trainer in Victory Road who seems to be rebattable almost every time we pass in front of him...It's the one with : Azumarill, Exeggutor,Tyranitar, Ninetales in his team...
What do you mean by "almost, and are you sure you didn't lose to him before? He's never challenged me more than once and I just tested again it's not challenging me. In G/S/C trainer events set their own flag once battled, so it makes little sense that one of these type of trainers will challenge you more than once in a row.

This is an incredible effort and a delight to play. I love all of the map changes so far!
The difficulty is refreshing due to not feeling unfair. I would suggest changing the way the game saves to prevent quick and easy save-scumming, which removes any sense of real danger from Pokemon - for example, Quick Saves Only in the pause menu (previously implemented in other hacks so it is possible, with the downside of deleting your progress when you don't save again!), OR permanent saves by talking to the nurse in the Pokemon Center (or some other stuff, like a special character who stands around waiting to record your adventure).

The challenge in implementing this seems pretty okay if you do one or the other - the ideal solution of implementing both at the same time seems intensely difficult since the game would need -two- save systems, or an interchangable save system that reminds you to make a another temporary / permanent save if your last save was temporary.

EDIT: Also, a forced+scripted save before fighting legendary Pokemon that saves you in front of the Legendary, but the Pokemon in question has disappeared. Prevents save-scumming for infinite retries.
Alternatively, make every dungeon before reaching a Legendary very grueling and lengthy (Somehow disable or nerf Repel?).
In both cases, having Legendaries respawn after Elite 4 unless caught would be a good idea.
Sorry but the save system will stay unchanged. It depends on the players to play the game in a fair way without exploiting the current save mechanics.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
Quote : What do you mean by "almost, and are you sure you didn't lose to him before? He's never challenged me more than once and I just tested again it's not challenging me. In G/S/C trainer events set their own flag once battled, so it makes little sense that one of these type of trainers will challenge you more than once in a row.

Well I lost against him once soft resetted and rebattled him then won...then lost against my rival resetted again using the reset feature of the emulator, respawned in front of said trainer with my team just like after i had won...and he challenged me again...I had to try three times to win again...went back out of the cave in the house where a lady heals our team, went back to the cave, saved before the trainer in case and he challenged me again...I won saved after walking some more, couldn't defeat my rival this time either, went back to heal my team, went back got challenged agin...Basically every time I get back to victory road on my way to the rival that trainer is rebattable. But it takes some steps/time for him to be rebattable...Once defeated he will stay like this until we change maps and come back...or maybe I have to defeat my rival to correct that trainer's flag...

Years
Ok, I've found the bug, thanks for the report. The flag bytes were swapped so the trainer was setting a wrong flag that lied in echo ram. It will go unnoticed in vba due to the echo ram bug (that's why I failed to replicate it), but not in other emulators. The hack has been reuploaded. You may also fix the bug with a hex editor by writing 0x9B at 0x77660 and 0x02 at 0x77661.

pokemonlover493

Trainer
Years
Hey, this hack looks great. I have a question though. Is this hack completed except for bug fixes, or is there still storyline hacking to do? Good luck finishing this and your future hacking.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
2 hours non-stop trying to figure out the Vermillion puzzle. It's impossible. Help?

EDIT: Worked eventually by randomly pressing. But, still, really want to know the logic behind it out of curiosity.

Otherwise, wonderful hack. :) Really enjoying it.

A few bugs...
- Moltres respawns (the other two birds don't)
- When you try to deposit Cleanse Tag in your PC, the game freezes.
- The bug catcher north of Viridian (very first one) appears as the female playable character, Crystal, and not as a bug catcher.

EDIT 2: Won against Blaine. Can't leave gym. :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2021
Hello! Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this mod. Just wanted to point out a few things:

-The Elite Four seem to have incorrect names in-battle, such as Lance displaying as Brock.
-Whenever I go to deposit items, I'll randomly get an opcode error on my emulator and it'll crash. Other times, it'll take me to a screen explaining that it's for a Game Boy Color only.

There's something else I know I'm forgetting, but I'll post it when I remember!

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2017
From my tests in game:

Water stone: Poliwhirl > Politoed
Slowpoke > Slowking
Shellder > Cloyster
Eevee > Vaporeon (?) < Didn't test but I suppose it's the case

Fire stone : Vulpix > Ninetales
Growlithe > Arcanine
Eevee > Flareon (?) < Didn't test but I suppose it's the case

Thunder Stone:
Pikachu > Raichu
Eevee > Jolteon (?) < Didn't test but I suppose it's the case

Evolved by stone but now evolve by level : Poliwhirl > Poliwrath
Exeggcute > exeggcutor
Staryu > Starmie

Haven't tested the grass, moon and sun stones yet to see if they work on their respective pokemon. Or if Eevee now needs the sun and moon stones to evolve into Espeon and Umbreon.

Questions: Can I hope to see my Golem learn rock Slide ? Where can i get the Amulet Coin for more money ?

Last edited:
Back