• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Gold and Silver

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, what are the best tools out there to hack Gold and Silver in 2018?
The Hack Rom Tools website offers a variety of choices, but does GoldMap now allow us to add events or change movement permissions? What kind of script editors can I use? Any other tools not suggested on Hack Rom Tools?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Max

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Hi,

If you want to go for traditional rom hacking, you could hack a gold/silver rom with variety of tools such as JohtoMap (map, map connections and events), a hex editor of your choose (all kinds of data editing), pksvui (scripting, partially), tile layer pro or such editor (uncompressed graphics) and the list goes on.
Apart from the ones listed above, I personally use a tool called PokeText for editing text (along side a hex editor), GSC Wild Pokemon editor, and used GSC Town Map editor for the town map and moving area locations.

Nowadays most gen I and II hackers use disassemblies though. There are ones for several different pokemon roms out there (https://github.com/pret), and pokered (for Pokemon Red (U) rom) and pokecrystal (for Pokemon Crystal (U) rom) are probably the most complete ones. By editing a fork of pokecrystal for instance, you should be able to achieve doing all the same things that can be done with various tools for Pokemon Gold and more easily once you get familiar with developing it.

All in all, I would recommend you to check out my video tutorials in Youtube (link in signature) to get a grasp of GB/C (and pokemon G/S/C) rom hacking in general. Once you understand the basics and maybe also more technical stuff like pointers, rom banks' sizes and such, you could try understanding how pokecrystal works also. You should be able to work out something much more fancy with it than by editing G/S rom file if you ever want to :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
Miksy91,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. In between the time I posted and the time I read your reply, I have begun looking into pokecrystal. Figuring out the installation process now behind me, I am looking all over for various pokecrystal tutorials, I am very much looking forward to checking yours out!

Thanks again,

Max

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
You're welcome! :)
Good luck in learning process too!

Last edited:
Back