The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Challenges
The Monotype Challenge

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Closed Thread

Old January 13th, 2017 (7:54 PM). Edited January 13th, 2017 by xemnahort.

Nature: Sassy
    I know its been a while for me but I'm not really feeling my fighting challenge right now, I will finish it but I right now I'm not sure I can. I am starting another ultimate challenge though which I will be using rock and I will again start with yellow. Wish me luck.

Challenge type: Ultimate
    Pokemon Type: Rock
    Game(s): Yellow, Soulsilver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White 2, Y, Moon
    Current Progress: Yellow 0/8, Soulsilver 0/8, Alpha Sapphire 0/8, Platinum 0/8, White 2 0/8, Y 0/8, Moon 0/18
    Old January 15th, 2017 (1:35 PM).

Nature: Naive
      Forum Username: Zoriri
      Pokemon Type: Ground
      Challenge Mode: Single
      Game: Omega Ruby

Quick question before I get too far into this. Since I'm using Omega Ruby, will I be able to use Pokemon found on mirage spots once they become available, or can I only use Pokemon that are officially in the Hoenn Pokedex?

With that out of the way, update time!

Adventure Log 1:
      Spoiler:
      - Started a new game and named my character "Landon" for the obligatory name pun.
      - Saved Professor Birch from a Poochyena with Mudkip, which I later nicknamed Kipper.
      - Battled May on Route 103 and defeated rather easily. I then followed May back to Littleroot Town and obtained the Pokedex.
      - Caught the Poochyena in the sneaking tutorial, but boxed it immediately afterword.

- Battled my way through Route 102, and arrived in Petalburg City. I talked with Norman at the Gym, then watched Wally do the catching tutorial. Once we got back to the Gym, I said goodbye to dad and Wally and made my way to Route 104. I battled the rich kid on the route and gave a small boy a Potion to heal his Pokemon. I then went into Petalburg Woods, and tried to avoid the trainers there and on the other end of Route 104, since I didn't want Kipper to be too over-leveled. I also stopped by the flower shop to pick up the Wailmer Pail, since I plan to grow a lot of berries during this run.

- I basically ignored Rustboro City and went out to 116 to catch a Nincada. I don't plan on actually using this, i just feel more comfortable having more than one Pokemon on my team. Once i returned to Rustboro, I took on Roxanne's Gym, where Kipper sweeped house. He didn't even take any damage from the Gym Trainers. Roxanne herself was an easy battle too, though i did have to use a potion. After getting the Stone Badge, I went to the Pokemon Center and saved, ending this session.

I like to take my time with games, so I'm going to limit myself to getting only one Badge at most per day. I may play some more later today though.

Current Team:
      Spoiler:
      Mudkip (Kipper) Lv. 14
      - Tackle
      - Growl
      - Waer Gun
      - Mudslap

Nincada Lv. 8
      - Scratch
      - Harden
      - Leech Life
      Old January 16th, 2017 (5:13 AM).

Ultimate Fighting White Update

Progress Report:
        Spoiler:

- Trekked through Chargestone Cave, battling Team Plasma along the way.
        - Reached Mistralton City.
        - Climbed the Celestial Tower and rang the bell.
        - Traveled back to Mistralton City and taught the newly evolved Danger Pig Hammer Arm at the Move Relearner.
        - Defeated Skyla and got the Jet Badge.
        - Hiked through Twist Mountain.
        - Arrived at Icirrus City.
        - Caught a Mienfoo just north of the city and named her "Sophie".
        - Defeated Brycen and acquired the Freeze Badge.
        - Climbed to the top of Dragonspiral Tower and witnessed the rebirth of Reshiram.

Current Team:
        Spoiler:

Danger Pig the Timid Emboar Lv. 42
        Blaze
        Hammer Arm | Heat Crash | Fire Blast | Assurance

Dakim the Quirky Conkeldurr Lv. 42
        Sheer Force
        Brick Break | Rock Slide | Bulldoze | Bulk Up

Teddy the Quiet Throh Lv. 42
        Inner Focus
        Storm Throw | Bulk Up | Body Slam | Dig

Ronda the Naive Scrafty Lv. 44
        Shed Skin
        Hi Jump Kick | Crunch | Chip Away | Swagger

Sophie the Naughty Mienfoo Lv. 42
        Regenerator
        Drain Punch | U-turn | Jump Kick | Acrobatics

Pokémon type: Fighting
        Game(s): Firered, Soulsilver, Sapphire, Pearl, White, Y
        Current progress: Firered 8/8, Soulsilver 16/16, Sapphire 8/8, Pearl 8/8, White 8/8, Y 1/8
        Old January 21st, 2017 (5:53 AM).

I just a copy of Pokémon Sun so now I have a game to do 7th gen challenges on
          I'm going to attempt to do all 18 types in Pokémon Sun
          I have not yet decided which I will do first

Fire Monotype - X
          Potterlocke - X
          Nidoking Solo- Red
          Old January 21st, 2017 (8:01 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
            I'm back with an update for my Alpha Sapphire Poison mono.

Badges: 5/8

Progress:
            Spoiler:

-Took on the Dewford City Gym, battled Brawly, and took home the Knuckle Badge.
            -Left on Briney's boat to Slateport and progressed the story.
            -Caught Gulpin on Route 110, unnamed. Not meant to be a permanent team member, will probably be replaced once I get access to the extra DexNav Pokemon.
            -Caught an Oddish on Route 110 as well, named it Weeds. Weeds will definitely be permanent, the Grass-typing is very useful.
            -Lost to Wattson, then trained on the trainers on the way to Verdanturf town, then came back and defeated Wattson fairly easily. Dynamo Badge achieved.
            -Continued with story progression, battled Team Aqua, etc.
            -Defeated Flannery and got the Heat Badge.
            -Backtracked to Petalburg Town (actually just went with May because I'm lazy) and defeated Norman, earning the Balance Badge.
            -Travelled to Southern Island and received a free Latias! ...Which I never intend to use.

Team:
            Spoiler:

P. Sherman the Crobat (M) Lv. 32
            Stats: 106/72/73/58/61/85
            Ability: Inner Focus
            Nature: Relaxed
            Moves:
            Wing Attack
            Confuse Ray
            Steel Wing
            Poison Fang

Coolio the Tentacool (F) Lv. 29
            Stats: 68/34/32/26/78/50
            Ability: Liquid Ooze
            Nature: Careful
            Moves:
            Bubble Beam
            Surf
            Toxic Spikes
            Acid Spray

Ross the Dustox (M) Lv. 32
            Stats: 86/45/54/44/63/53
            Ability: Shield Dust
            Nature: Naughty
            Moves:
            Venoshock
            Silver Wind
            Moonlight
            Toxic

Weeds the Gloom (F) Lv. 32
            Stats: 84/59/54/63/62/37
            Ability: Chlorophyll
            Nature: Lonely
            Moves:
            Cut
            Mega Drain
            Acid
            Sleep Powder

Swalot (F) Lv. 31
            Stats: 109/61/61/58/57/43
            Ability: Sticky Hold
            Nature: Rash
            Moves:
            Body Slam
            Toxic
            Acid Spray
            Rock Smash
            Old January 22nd, 2017 (3:56 AM).

Nature: Sassy
              Ok making good progress in yellow so far. I lvled pikachu up to 14 and bought some potions so I could get brock over with and it was still a close thing but I beat him and moved on to Mt. Moon. 1/8
              Afterwards I rushed past as many trainers as I could to keep exp for my first mon. Made it to Mt. Moon and proceeded to capture the first member of the team Gene the Geodude.
              took my time leveling Gene up and he proved to be nearly unbeatable (barring the one time I got poisoned and died on the tile to heal at the pokemon center). Made it to Cerulean and proceeded straight to Bill's house to get the S.S. Ticket. Decided to grind a little at clear out Vermilion, nearby routes, and the S.S. Anne before returning to Cerulean for the gym. Despite my now high level Graveler still struggled a bit to defeat Misty but after 3 tries I got the badge. 2/8
              Blitzed my way to Rock Tunnel after making a slight detour to get Flash (also had to catch a few random pokemon to do so). After spending an hour and a half trying to find an Onix on the first level I look up its encounter rates on the 2 floors.
              After seeing its higher on the next one I change floors and immediately find my second member of the team Onyx the Onix.
              Left Rock Tunnel and returned to Vermillion for the third badge while grinding Onyx up with any trainers I managed to previously avoid. Also taught Onyx Dig so it can actually have a ground move.
              While Onyx put up a good effort once again its Gene who wins the badge. 3/8
              Returned to Rock Tunnel and the second floor.

Gene the Geodude lvl. 38

Onyx the Onix lvl. 20

no named cut mon (bulbasaur if it matters)

no named flash mon (pikachu if it matters)

no named future fly mon (pidgey if it matters)

no named future surf mon (squirtle if it matters)

All but flash mon will be replaced by proper rock mons in the future.
              Really liking the run so far. Being all tanks is pretty great.
              Old January 22nd, 2017 (9:50 AM).

Ultimate Fighting White update

I have now beaten Pokémon White after some struggles against the Elite Four, N and Ghetsis. Now I can proceed to the final part of the challenge, Kalos.

Final Team:
                Spoiler:

Danger Pig the Timid Emboar Lv. 51
                Blaze
                Hammer Arm | Head Smash | Flamethrower | Grass Knot

Dakim the Quirky Conkeldurr Lv. 53
                Sheer Force
                Hammer Arm | Rock Slide | Bulldoze | Bulk Up

Teddy the Quiet Throh Lv. 52
                Inner Focus
                Superpower | Bulk Up | Body Slam | Dig

Sophie the Naughty Mienshao Lv. 52
                Regenerator
                Drain Punch | U-turn | Jump Kick | Bounce

Ronda the Naive Scrafty Lv. 53
                Shed Skin
                Hi Jump Kick | Crunch | Rock Climb | Swagger

Pokémon type: Fighting
                Game(s): Firered, Soulsilver, Sapphire, Pearl, White, Y
                Current progress: Firered 8/8, Soulsilver 16/16, Sapphire 8/8, Pearl 8/8, White 8/8, Y 1/8
                Old January 26th, 2017 (5:49 PM).

Forum Username: calenlily
                  Pokemon Type: Water
                  Game: Ruby

(And I'm going to be doing this without using any non-water-type HM slaves.)
                  Old January 27th, 2017 (5:42 PM). Edited January 29th, 2017 by calenlily.

Water challenge in Ruby

Progress Update 1:
                    Spoiler:
                    -Start new game, choose the female trainer, name myself Calen
                    -Choose Mudkip as my starter, save the professor, go back to the lab to be officially gifted my Mudkip, name him Puddle
                    -Grind Puddle up to level 10 so he learns mud-slap and water gun, then go on to route 103 to have my first battle with Brendan
                    -1st rival battle: 2HKO Brendan's Treecko with tackle
                    -Go back to Littleroot to get Pokedex and Pokeballs and Running Shoes
                    -Catch a Wingull on route 103, name her Mona
                    -Grind Mona to level 13 so she learns Wing Attack
                    -Go on to route 102, defeat the trainers and collect the items super quickly, then spend forever searching for a Surskit (Puddle reaches level 16 and evolves into Marshtomp while I'm at it)
                    -Catch a Surskit, name her Amelia
                    -Mona gets me through Petalburg Woods no problem
                    -Go on to Rustboro City and take Puddle to the gym. Water gun OHKOs every one of the Geodudes. Probably could have two-shot Roxanne's Nosepass with it, but just to be obnoxious I decide instead to slowly mud-slap it into submission. Roxanne heals it twice while I chip away its health and accuracy, Puddle tanks every hit it manages to land and still has is still at half HP when Nosepass goes down. Stone Badge acquired!
                    -Take care of Rusturf Tunnel and accept the Devon Goods quest, go find Mr. Briney and sail to Dewford
                    -Get the Old Rod, catch a Tentacool, name her Squishy
                    -Teach Squishy to cut
                    -Take Mona to the Dewford Gym, spam wing attack on everything, acquire Knuckle Badge.
                    -Enter Granite Cave, get flash TM, teach Amelia to flash
                    -Puddle gets me through Granite Cave no problem, Mona helps out by taking down a few Makuhita, on to Slateport we go
                    -Head towards Mauville, meet Brendan on route 110, rival battle #2.
                    Water gun from Puddle OHKOs Numel. Wing attack from Mona OHKOs Grovyle. I'm a little worried about Wailmer because I don't have any moves that are very good against other water types yet. I've forgotten that Wailmer is lacking in defensive bulk; it only takes a few tackles from Puddle to KO him. Make a quick trip back to Slateport to heal up and go on my merry way.
                    -Arrive in Mauville, take on Wally no problem, prepare for the gym. I'm a little worried about this one since I've been through it with a Marshtomp before and found it a tough fight. Regret my shortsighted decision not to let Puddle learn mud shot; I don't want it in his final moveset but he's got space for it now and it would have been real useful at this point in the game. Decide to train Puddle up a bit more on route 110's abundant electric types. Grind him up to level 30 (accruing a bunch speed EVs along the way, yay).
                    -Take on Mauville Gym. Realize I've over-prepared Puddle for this, as his mud-slap is one-shotting things left and right. Mona takes down the battle girl's Meditite and Puddle takes care of the rest of the gym trainers' Pokemon. Heal up for sake of replenishing PP, then return to face Wattson. Magnemite gets OHKO'd. Voltorb takes a few rounds to go down (and Wattson heals it once or twice) but eventually succumbs to the mud slaps without getting off anything too damaging to Puddle. Magneton gets OHKO'd. Dynamo Badge acquired.
                    -Teach Mona shock wave from my newly acquired TM to make dealing with water types easier in the future. Run around route 117 looking for a Marill, and evolve Mona into Pelipper in the process.
                    -Catch a Marill. Name him Azza. Teach Azza and Puddle to rock smash.
                    -Went to Verdanturf, cleared out the tunnel, grabbed some items in the Rustboro area that I wasn't able to get before, and grinded Azza to level 32 (and evolved him into Azumarill along the way) to be comparable with the others. (Develop an undying hatred for Roselia's poison point ability in the process)
                    -Continue on to Fallarbor Town. Puddle and Mona continue to be rock stars. While battling wild Pokemon in the ash-covered grass, Puddle evolves into Swampert. I'm a little annoyed because I meant to wait till he learned Earthquake to evolve him, but oh well, he'll just learn it a bit later.
                    -Continue on through Meteor Falls back to Rustboro and on to Lavaridge, more of the same
                    -Head to the Lavaridge Gym, this should be fun. Mona solos the gym like a champ; water gun is a OHKO on every one of the kindlers' and Flannery's fire types, wing attack is a OHKO on the battle girl's Meditite, and the cooltrainer's Kecleon is probably the most fun; Mona hits it with water gun and takes its HP down by probably 1/3, it turns into a water type, and Mona hits it with shock wave for the KO. Heat Badge acquired!
                    -Puddle leads a quick expedition through the desert, then I loop back through Fallarbor (where I return the meteorite to Prof Cozmo) and Rustboro and finally to Petalburg
                    -Petalburg Gym is definitely the hardest yet. Puddle spams rock smash left and right, with a few water guns thrown in, and is able to 2HKO most of the gym trainers' Pokemon. I leave to heal between rooms and come back three times (more for the sake of healing PP than health though I certainly need some of both) because I want fight all the gym trainers for exp. I get to Norman. Puddle takes down the first Slaking in a few rock smashes but it gets in a yawn just before it goes down and Vigoroth gets significant damage in on Puddle while I'm waking him up. A few more rock smashes from Puddle KO Vigoroth, but Puddle is down most of his health so I switch in Mona to deal with the second Slaking. Four wing attacks from Mona and Slaking is down. Balance Badge acquired!
                    -Time to learn to surf and do some side quests. Headed back to Slateport, surfed to the abandoned ship and retrieved the Ice Beam TM. Returned to Mauville, obtained the Good Rod on route 118 and went fishing.
                    -Caught a Carvanha, named him Megalodon, taught him to surf. Grinded Megalodon up to level 36 and evolved him to Sharpedo in the process.
                    -Mona caught Pokerus! Pokerus spread to rest of party, I semi-permanently boxed Amelia to be a vector.
                    -Took Megalodon to the move relearner in Fallarbor to learn to bite. While in the area, went fishing on route 114.
                    -Caught a Barboach, named him Barbossa. Grinded Barbossa to level 31. Barbossa learned earthquake. Barbossa evolved into Whiscash.
                    -Might as well go to New Mauville while I'm here. Barbossa spams magnitude and a few earthquakes and takes on everything in New Mauville no problem. Done with side quests, time to continue on my journey

Current party:
                    Spoiler:
                    Mona the Pelipper (f) - lvl 43
                    Keen Eye / Quiet nature
                    Water gun, wing attack, shock wave, surf

Puddle the Swampert (m) @ Soft Sand - lvl 43
                    Torrent / Timid nature
                    Water gun, mud-slap, rock smash, mud shot

Barbossa the Whiscash (m) - lvl 37
                    Oblivious / Quirky nature
                    Water gun, magnitude, surf, earthquake

Squishy the Tentacool (f) - lvl 7
                    Clear Body / Adamant nature
                    Poison sting, supersonic, cut

Azza the Azumarill (m) - lvl 32
                    Huge Power / Impish nature
                    Rollout, strength, rock smash, bubblebeam

Megalodon the Sharpedo (m) - lvl 36
                    Rough Skin / Brave nature
                    Slash, surf, bite, crunch

And in the box:
                    Amelia the Surskit (f) - lvl 3
                    Swift Swim / Jolly nature
                    Bubble, flash

---

Progress Update 2 - Challenge Completed:
                    Spoiler:
                    -Head up route 119, clear the Weather Institute, accept the Castform for the Mystic Water he's holding then permanently box him
                    -Rival battle #3, Mona uses water gun on Numel, shock wave on Wailmer, and wing attack on Grovyle, OHKOs them all without even having to exert herself
                    -On to Fortree City and the flying gym. I'm a little worried about Winona's Altaria, which is why I made a point of getting the ice beam TM early, but if I teach it now then I won't be able to use it on my ice type when I get one. Decide to go ahead and try the gym without teaching anyone ice beam. Mona's shock wave OHKOs every one of the gym trainers' Pokemon and Winona's first three. Winona brings out Altaria, I bring out Megalodon. Megalodon uses crunch a few times, Altaria's health is in the red and one more crunch would definitely bring it down, but Megalodon is in the red too, Winona fully heals Altaria, I heal Megalodon with a soda pop and get his health back to about 75%, two more crunches and Altaria goes down. Feather Badge acquired!
                    -Cross routes 120 and 121, go on into Lilycove City to heal up and decide I might as well battle Brendan while I'm at it
                    -Rival battle #4 is just as easy as #3, and goes down pretty much exactly the same, with the addition of a Swellow for Mona to one-shot with shock wave
                    -On to Mt. Pyre. Megalodon is MVP here and on the surrounding routes with all the ghosts around. Back to Slateport and then Lilycove to deal with Team Magma
                    -Mona takes down Team Magma singlehandedly. On to Mossdeep City
                    -Head to Mossdeep Gym first thing, Megalodon OHKOs all the gym trainers' Pokemon with bite and doesn't even need to use crunch. Get to the double battle with the gym leaders and send out Mona as Megalodon's ally, Mona and Meg both use surf and it's all over before Solrock or Lunatone and get a single hit in. Mind Badge acquired!
                    -Get dive HM and good rod, time to recruit some new party members
                    -Catch a Wailmer, name her Wailady, teach her to dive
                    -Explore Shoal Cave, catch a Spheal, name her Selkie, teach her to dive and ice beam
                    -Go exploring underwater, catch a Chinchou, name her Lumi, teach her to surf and flash and thunderbolt
                    -While I'm down there, catch a Relicanth (for the Regi quest) and name him Rocky
                    -Box Squishy and Azza, add Selkie and Lumi to my party
                    -Grind Selkie to level 46, evolving her to Sealeo and then to Walrein along the way. Grind Wailady to level 40 to evolve her into Wailord. While I'm training them in the desert, come across a shiny Trapinch. Catch it, because one does not simply not catch shinies, and permanently box it
                    -Explore a bunch of water routes to level Lumi, evolving her into Lanturn while I'm at it
                    -Mona solos Seafloor Cavern cause she's just that awesome. Groudon awakens and runs off, so it's time to head to Sootopolis
                    -Lumi leads the way through the Cave of Origin until we reach the deepest chamber, then Wailady is up front to deal with Groudon. Wailady uses rain dance to replace the harsh sunlight, then gets in one surf to take out much of its health before going doing. Puddle steps up, uses surf, and the legendary is down
                    -Time for Sootopolis Gym. Mona OHKOs the one gym trainer's Lombre with wing attack and Wallace's Whiscash with surf (which is when I real is just how overleveled she currently is), while Lumi spams spark and thunderbolt and takes out everything else in the gym in one or two shots. Rain Badge acquired!
                    -Explore the remaining water routes, with Lumi getting overleveled to the same extent as Mona in the process. Temporarily retrieve Azza, Rocky, and Wailady and go to the Sealed Chamber, then go find the Regis. Puddle 2HKOs Regice with brick break (and finally learns earthquake) and OHKOs Regirock with Surf and Registeel with earthquake
                    -Run around the map for a bit picking up items and fighting trainers that I couldn't get to my first time through those areas. Play puzzles in the trick house till I get a magnet for Lumi. Grind Selkie and Megalodon for a while in the back rooms at Meteor Falls since my party is horribly unevenly leveled at this point (Mona and Lumi at level 60, Puddle at level 52, and Selkie and Meg in the mid-40s). Surf from Mossdeep to Ever Grande, grind Puddle for a bit just inside the entrance to Victory Road, and finally embark on Victory Road for real when everybody's clustered around level 60.
                    -Mona takes on all the wild encounters on Victory Road (and gets through the whole thing without needing any healing items, go Mona) while I split up the trainer battles among the rest of the team
                    -Battle with Wally, finally a (pseudo-)rival battle that's worth the diversity of my team. Selkie ice beams Altaria and Roselia, Puddle uses brick break on Delcatty and earthquake on Magneton, and Meg crunches Gardevoir, taking them all down in one shot. On to the Elite Four
                    -My lack of strong fighters makes me a bit worried about Sidney. Sharpedo I can take down with Lumi's thunderbolt, and Cacturne and Shiftry with Selkie's ice beam, so those four go down in one shot, but Puddle's brick break is the best I've got for Mightyena and Absol. Absol goes down in one hit, to my surprise, but Mightyena's intimidate means he takes two shots. Puddle tanks the one hit Mightyena gets in on him like a champ, with enough health remaining that I decide it's not worth using a healing item on him after the battle.
                    -Megalodon takes on Pheobe's ghosts. The first Dusclops and the two Banette fall to crunch no problem, but Sableye of course doesn't take super-effective damage, survives the first hit, and hits Meg with attract. I curse myself, because this is exactly why I prefer to have female Pokemon on my team and I wish I'd made a point of catching only females as I often do. Meg uses crunch again, but Pheobe heals Sableye so it's back to the same fraction of HP that it was. Sableye uses shadow ball while Meg is stuck doing nothing the next turn. The turn after that Meg finally takes Sableye down with another crunch. Then there's the second Dusclops. It also survives Meg's first crunch and hits him with earthquake, taking out about half his health. I accurately predict that Pheobe is going use a full restore and use the next turn to use a hyper potion on Meg. Meg crunches again and Dusclops hits Meg with confuse ray. On the next turn, Meg survives hurting himself in confusion and another earthquake from Dusclops, but subsequently hurts himself in confusion a second time in a row and takes himself out. Puddle steps in, and is able to finish Dusclops off with an earthquake.
                    -Glacia is another one I split up among my team. Puddle uses brick break on the first Glalie, Glalie sets up hail, Puddle uses brick break again and takes it down. Glacia brings in Sealeo, I bring in Lumi, I accidentally tell Lumi to use surf, Sealeo uses body slam, Lumi thankfully does not get paralyzed and finishes Sealeo off with thunderbolt on the next turn. Lumi takes down the second Sealeo with thunderbolt. The hailstorm ends. I bring Puddle back to deal with the second Glalie, Puddle uses brick break, Glalie uses hail again, Puddle takes Glalie down with a second brick break. Lumi uses thunderbolt on Walrein, it survives the first shot because it's a tank, its sitrus berry kicks in and restores a little bit of its health so Glacia doesn't restore it all, and Lumi takes it down with a second thunderbolt.
                    -Drake is easy. Selkie has to tank a few dragon claws and dragonbreaths because she's slow, and takes two tries to get a hit in on the first Flygon because it uses sand-attack, but once they connect she takes every one of the dragons down in one ice beam.
                    -Lumi takes down Steven's Skarmory with a single thunderbolt. Aggron goes down to a single surf from Mona. Claydol survives one surf from Megalodon, sets up a light screen, then succumbs to the second surf anyway. Cradily takes an ice beam from Selkie and gets off a confuse ray. Selkie is not deterred by the confusion and takes Cradily down with a second ice beam. Light screen wears off, I hadn't realized it was still active. Mona hasn't gotten to play much, so I let her have at Armaldo and she takes it down with a single surf. Metagross gives me more trouble. Megalodon can't crunch away its health fast enough and goes down to an earthquake and a meteor mash while Steven heals Metagross back to full health, but Puddle manages to take it down with two earthquakes.

My team:
                    Spoiler:
                    Hall of Famers:
                    Mona the Pelipper (f) @ Mystic Water - lvl 63
                    Keen Eye / Quiet nature
                    Surf, wing attack, shock wave, fly

Puddle the Swampert (m) @ Shell Bell - lvl 61
                    Torrent / Timid nature
                    Surf, earthquake, brick break, strength

Megalodon the Sharpedo (m) @ Blackglasses - lvl 58
                    Rough Skin / Brave nature
                    Rock smash, surf, bite, crunch

Selkie the Walrein (f) @ Nevermeltice - lvl 64
                    Thick Fat / Relaxed nature
                    Aurora beam, ice beam, dive, waterfall

Lumi the Lanturn (f) @ Magnet - lvl 61
                    Volt Absorb / hasty nature
                    Spark, surf, thunderbolt, flash

Barbossa the Whiscash (m) @ Soft Sand - lvl 37
                    (who was along for the ride since I had an open slot in the party, but might as well have been in the box)

And in the box:
                    Amelia the Surskit (f) - lvl 3 (Flash buddy)
                    Squishy the Tentacool (f) - lvl 7 (Cut buddy)
                    Azza the Azumarill (m) - lvl 32 (dig buddy, thought he'd useful for physical moves, ended up mostly being dead weight)
                    Rocky the Relicanth (m) - lvl 30 (used to get into the Sealed Chamber
                    Wailady the Wailord (f) - lvl 40 (used to get into the sealed chamber, rain dancer, and dive buddy until I caught Selkie)

Final Thoughts:
                    Spoiler:
                    -This was lots of fun, will definitely be doing more such challenges.
                    -Mona was hands-down MVP of the game. I enjoyed using her so much I might just do a flying run next.
                    -Azza was not worth the training I put in to him. Barbossa was decent but failed to find a niche on the team. I would have been better off not training either of them.
                    -This was my first time training a Sharpedo, I wish they weren't quite so pitiful at taking hits but overall enjoyed. (Poor Megalodon, the Elite Four was kind of awful to him.)
                    -Puddle and Selkie and Lumi all come from species I've used before, and my love for them continues. (Though I'll probably make sure not to get a Spheal with an extra-slow nature next time.)
                    -Hardest thing in the game: not having a good fighting type. Still a fairly easy challenge overall, though
                    -What I missed most actually came from my self-imposed rule of no off-type HM slaves. It made me really sad not to have a Zigzagoon, because Pickup is just that useful
                    Old January 30th, 2017 (10:44 AM). Edited January 31st, 2017 by Bad Egg.
                    An error

Nature: Calm
                      Username: Bad Egg
                      Pokémon type: Flying
                      Game: Leaf Green

Okay, progress check (nobody cares about) Badges - 2/8
                      Spoiler:
                      Started game, chose Squirtle for starter to make fight against Blue easier.
                      After obtaining pokeballs, caught first Pidgey I saw.
                      Released Squirtle
                      Replaced Pidgey with Pidgery with better stats
                      Farmed levels until I get Gust
                      Defeated all trainers in Viridian Forest
                      More farmng
                      Defeated Brock with spamming Sand Attack.
                      Evolved Pidgey into Pidgeotto.
                      Caught Spearow nearby Mt. Moon
                      Bought Magikarp
                      Caught Zubat
                      HELIX FOSSIL
                      Got S S Ticket
                      Got HM 01
                      Traded Spearow for Farfetch'd
                      Evolved Magikarp to Gyarados.
                      Defeated Misty with my overpowered Pidgeotto.

Team:
                      Spoiler:
                      Pidgeotto Lv 30
                      Gyarados Lv 22
                      Farfetch'd Lv 18
                      Zubat Lv 9
                      Old January 30th, 2017 (11:34 AM).

Starting a new one.

Username: calenlily
                        Pokemon type: Flying
                        Challenge mode: Single
                        Game: Red

Debated for a while over whether to play Red or FireRed, ultimately the temptation of getting to play with a first gen Gyarados again won out. Though I may well do this one in FireRed too at some point

Completed challenges
                        Single monotype: Water (Ruby), Flying (Red)
                        Old January 31st, 2017 (4:19 PM).
                        I AM THE REAL SONIC

Nature: Adamant
                        Alright, the OP is up to date as far as I can tell.

I will be having this thread locked tomorrow evening, so if you have any issue with your entry in the OP then now is the time to say so!

I have omitted any challenges for Sun and Moon that are not complete, since they don't particularly apply to the rules of this thread. A new version which includes Sun and Moon in the requirements of Ultimate will be posted by Volga, who will be taking over the challenge in my stead. Thank you so much for putting up with me these last few years. It's been quite the journey getting here, and it's not easy to let this thread go, for sure. But I gotta move on some time, there are other things to experience and hobbies to try. I will definitely be continuing to play Challenges, and fully intend to finish my Ultimate Bug Monotypes in due time (God I can't believe I started that thing in 2012).
                        Closed Thread

Quick Reply