• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Ash...Just Why?

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
So I just finish watching the episode "Rocking the Virbank Gym Part 1" where Ash meets Roxie for the first time and they have their gym battle. Right before the battle, Ash pulled out his Pokedex at Roxie's "Koffing"... Why?

Ash has seen Koffing almost as much as he's seen his own Pikachu due to James always using it against him in the majority of Kanto-Johto. I understand the show now is trying to bring in younger audiences who weren't around when Pokemon first began. But for us veteran show watchers and Pokemon battlers, seeing this is kinda "Uh...what?!"

It's bad enough Ash acts and battles like it's his first time going through a region, but seeing him use a Pokedex to scan Koffing is kind of a slap to the face.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
He's reseted, he wouldn't even remember Pikachu if he hadn't had that little fur ball always with him.
Probably if he had a Koffing in his storage, he would probably remember it, but he's reseted so he doesn't remember any Pokémon he has met before beside his own.
That also explains why he always gets a new Pokédex (or PokéZukan to be exact).

On the other hand, he might remember it but wants to register it to the Zukan.
Highly unlike but possibility is there.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years

I agree with that point. He does have a different Pokedex, so he could just be checking to see if there's any new data on it. Or, if I hadn't seen something in 10 years, I would most likely be thinking, "Hey, I better look it up to make sure I'm not forgetting anything important that might make me lose this battle."

There wasn't anything to say he *completely* didn't know a Koffing, just that he was surprised to see one in Unova.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
This is not really anything new for Ash, he does it pretty much all the time. Also, do consider how long it's been since he last did battle a Koffing, so it's easy to assume that he probably dex'd it as a reminder to what kind of Pokemon Koffing was again. Now I haven't seen the episode yet myself, but I honestly don't find it weird, and it could also be for the newer watchers who didn't know which Pokemon Koffing was, but yeah. There are lots of possibilities here :p

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I don't remember Ash seeing any Dogars (sorry, meme temptation) since Kanto - before James's evolved in the twenty-somethingth episode. At least I think it was like that. And I don't recall him ever scanning it... so this one is more forgivable.

The issue nowadays is that Ash is an incredibly tired character that has no steam left whatsoever due to how they are constantly recycling the same old same old. He's not an exciting character, he's had virtually no development in 750 episodes, and his brain resets every time, as does his Pikachu's level (although twice within reason, given the electromagnetic field propelled onto him by Team Rocket going to Hoenn and Zekrom stealing his electrosis in Unova, but unfortunately both of those instances were only created to justify Pikachu becoming a Weakachu once again). It's pathetic that we don't even know who Ash's father is, and his reason is still to be the very best, when he has proven time and time again that he's incompetent until he has Pokemon who deliver. Honestly, he did do great in Sinnoh - it took hacked ubers to beat him - but he still had no development.

I think him resetting every time is essentially a way to keep the show fresh to the young generation, as a new arc starts every four years or so. They don't remember the prior generation like the experts do. That's why Ash is still so pathetic.

But in all honesty, if you're going to start all over every time, why keep the same lead character? Why didn't Hoenn have Brendan and May as the main protagonists, but have Brendan be bitter rivals with Ash? Why didn't Sinnoh focus on Dawn and Lucas, with Dawn being May and Drew's contest rival? Why didn't Unova reboot things, to have a journey with Hilda, Cheren, and Bianca? They could do so much more, but they don't. It may be a kids show, but where's the coherent story? It's pointless, all thanks to the twerp named Ashley David Ketchum.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
It's most likely because the writers wanted to introduce to new viewers Pokemon from older generations they may be unfamiliar with. Alot of them don't know what a Koffing is. There's also the possibility that since this was a new model Pokedex he was using that didn't have Koffing registered on it yet. Also James only had a Koffing for one season and it was a Weezing for most of Kanto and Johto. So Ash would be more familiar with a Weezing than anything.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
I don't remember Ash seeing any Dogars (sorry, meme temptation) since Kanto - before James's evolved in the twenty-somethingth episode. At least I think it was like that. And I don't recall him ever scanning it... so this one is more forgivable.

The issue nowadays is that Ash is an incredibly tired character that has no steam left whatsoever due to how they are constantly recycling the same old same old. He's not an exciting character, he's had virtually no development in 750 episodes, and his brain resets every time, as does his Pikachu's level (although twice within reason, given the electromagnetic field propelled onto him by Team Rocket going to Hoenn and Zekrom stealing his electrosis in Unova, but unfortunately both of those instances were only created to justify Pikachu becoming a Weakachu once again). It's pathetic that we don't even know who Ash's father is, and his reason is still to be the very best, when he has proven time and time again that he's incompetent until he has Pokemon who deliver. Honestly, he did do great in Sinnoh - it took hacked ubers to beat him - but he still had no development.

I think him resetting every time is essentially a way to keep the show fresh to the young generation, as a new arc starts every four years or so. They don't remember the prior generation like the experts do. That's why Ash is still so pathetic.

But in all honesty, if you're going to start all over every time, why keep the same lead character? Why didn't Hoenn have Brendan and May as the main protagonists, but have Brendan be bitter rivals with Ash? Why didn't Sinnoh focus on Dawn and Lucas, with Dawn being May and Drew's contest rival? Why didn't Unova reboot things, to have a journey with Hilda, Cheren, and Bianca? They could do so much more, but they don't. It may be a kids show, but where's the coherent story? It's pointless, all thanks to the twerp named Ashley David Ketchum.

I completely agree with this. You're right, Sinnoh was the best Ash has ever been. About a new arc starting every four years or so, I think it's going to happen much faster this time around(Sinnoh felt like 6 years in my opinion). Ash already has his 8th badge and the episodes coming up seem more like pointless filler episodes that's just buying time for no reason. I don't think his brain restarts every season though because if it did, he shouldn't remember Dawn and Cynthia who will appear in the upcoming episodes in the Unova Region. I Believe the "Ash Ketchum Syndrome" consists of resetting his battle smarts but not his memory of People and Pokemon. But, who knows. For some reason though, I felt a little bit of the old Ash in part 2 of his battle with Roxie. He seemed to be a bit smarter than usual.

SkullKing

Nope
Years
He's reseted, he wouldn't even remember Pikachu if he hadn't had that little fur ball always with him.
Probably if he had a Koffing in his storage, he would probably remember it, but he's reseted so he doesn't remember any Pokémon he has met before beside his own.
That also explains why he always gets a new Pokédex (or PokéZukan to be exact).

I completely agree with this

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
LOL :D I haven't even watched the newer Pokemon episodes(but some) for almost a year, but I remember when Ash at times would put up a Pokedex to at least a Pokemon he saw and interacted in my previous journeys. Really Ash!?

You traveled around 4 regions of Pokemon that you saw consecutive times over and over and now, you would take out your Pokedex and do it again. It's retarded. Like Ash is now an amateur.

The issue nowadays is that Ash is an incredibly tired character that has no steam left whatsoever due to how they are constantly recycling the same old same old. He's not an exciting character, he's had virtually no development in 750 episodes, and his brain resets every time, as does his Pikachu's level (although twice within reason, given the electromagnetic field propelled onto him by Team Rocket going to Hoenn and Zekrom stealing his electrolysis in Unova, but unfortunately both of those instances were only created to justify Pikachu becoming a Weakachu once again). It's pathetic that we don't even know who Ash's father is, and his reason is still to be the very best, when he has proven time and time again that he's incompetent until he has Pokemon who deliver. Honestly, he did do great in Sinnoh - it took hacked ubers to beat him - but he still had no development.

Agreed. Even though we all know that Ash is based off of Satoshi, it's just enough. We just don't even get why they would keep the same plot and the same character. It's still unresolved and I do agree with Sinnoh, with him being good along with Johto.

And it would interesting to do an anime adaption of the manga/game characters like the one in the B2/W2 trailer, it'll give us a new feel and we get to focus on each character accomplishing their goals.

It's heavily painful to watch the same 10 year old kid explore different regions to be the best trainer but still lose, to see him reboot for no reason, and it's just somewhat unrealistic for this to happen.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ash using his Pokedex on a Koffing isn't as bad as him using it on a Palpitoad two episodes in a row personally. As mentioned, it's been generations since Ash has really seen a Pokemon and we have to remember the target audience. It's always going to be for kids and every generation there are different ten year olds. Yes, older audiences always complain and go on and on about Ash rebooting and always losing battles despite going to each generation and getting a reboot, but to the younger audiences not seeing him grow wouldn't be as interesting if by this time he can simply sweep every Pokemon and trainer. Where's the challenges? The growth? the things we saw in the first generation? To a lot of ten year olds, this is their first generation; sure it's still and dumb for us who are older but shouldn't the target audience be allowed to experience it (of course this could be solved by exchanging Ash out for a different protagonist but I don't think they will be getting rid of their icon character so there's really no point in thinking about it honestly.)

As mentioned, the same goes for the Pokedex. New 10 year olds, time for another Pokedex check. And with each Pokedex you kind of have to register a Pokemon again anyways; take the games for example. So really, it's not much of a big deal with Ash using it on a Pokemon he's seen before. And him being surprised about it would also be explain by seeing one in the Unova region in which other generation Pokemon are extremely rare.

Just my thoughts.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
We all would do it. It's like an animal you saw ages ago but forgot what it was even if you saw it a lot. Plus the viewers may not know so the pokedex is more for the kids. Its like how in Yugioh or Digimon even if they saw a creature they would still explain it for the viewers

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
As mentioned, the same goes for the Pokedex. New 10 year olds, time for another Pokedex check. And with each Pokedex you kind of have to register a Pokemon again anyways; take the games for example. So really, it's not much of a big deal with Ash using it on a Pokemon he's seen before. And him being surprised about it would also be explain by seeing one in the Unova region in which other generation Pokemon are extremely rare.

Just my thoughts.

Actually, remember the episode when Ash caught Tepig? Before they figured out it was a Tepig he thought it might have been umbreon. So he typed up Umbreon in the dex and the dex had all the info. Sooo he doesnt seem to need to record data :/

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2014
As long as there are new pokemon games that come out, theres going to be another reset for ash. That'll never change until they stop making new pokemon games, and lets face it, that's never gonna happen. lol.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I would not call it a reset but more as a promo way to mix with the games. Even if you play the past gen your still starting a noob when the ext gen comes along so pretty much if Ash is a noob so are all the game players

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
I would not call it a reset but more as a promo way to mix with the games. Even if you play the past gen your still starting a noob when the ext gen comes along so pretty much if Ash is a noob so are all the game players

But that is a reset if Ash's starter Pokemon (Pikachu) becomes level 5 again whenever he goes to a new region. I think people are commentating on Ash's ignorance whenever he uses his Pokedex on a Pokemon he has seen before and using moves that are ineffective against his opponent's Pokemon type. Personally i think this is to help the new viewers as they are unsure of the gameplay and strategy. Also, with a new Pokedex, you would need to record every Pokemon again.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Although it doesn't concern the Pokedex, anyone else notice the lackluster excitement in Ash's expression when he saw Dawn again in the Unova Region? Idk, I expected more out of it. But it was like he didn't really know her. It was a "Reset" type of reaction to Dawn's return. Like he never saw her before. Cynthia I could understand cause he rarely ever saw her, but Dawn traveled with him for an entire region.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Its probably just to give some people who never seen a Koffing before to know more about Koffing, 'cos the last time a Koffing appear, its probably when James' Koffing evolve to Weezing. You know, the anime writers are so into promoting it to kids. Ash could already be a top trainer if it wouldn't be for the writers, who also got rid of my beloved Team Rocket. :(

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I've said it once before.

Whenever Ash comes back home, he always enjoys a big bowl of Stupid for breakfast.

Anyway, reset aside, I can see the point to this. We've played the games, we know that the flavor text for the pokemon change every generation. I'm willing to bet that as the non-passing years go by, the flavor text changes for the Anime as well.

Cheap copout, but hey... It's plausable.

Back