• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Why does this Generation receive so much hate?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
As games get older and their "recency bias" dies down, people start seeing the flaws more clearly. The same thing happened with both sets of gen 6 games. Simply put, SM ended up being the typical underwhelming "first games of a generation," and USUM were vaguely described in pre-release because they knew people didn't want more third versions, but in reality they were just third versions (and ones thats changes, from what I've experienced so far, aren't as impressive as Platinum's).

That being said, the games still don't receive as much hate as gens 4 and 5 so I wouldn't worry much. It was truthfully a little frustrating seeing people praise SM for thing that they bashed BW for, so there is some merit to people realizing the games do have their flaws, regardless of how much they enjoy the games overall.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Meh, as much as I dislike the idea of hate, alola is probably better off with that than the awful types of fans amour shipping ended up with....(i mean, whether or not amour shipping is a 'good' or 'bad' couple really doesn't matter when like nearly everyone who likes it is a jerk >_<;;; you know? at least haters can't poison something as bad as bad fans, pretty much....)

I know not all amour shippers are jerks, but jerks seem common enough in the community that its turned me off that pairing xD Cuz I don't like dealing with dramatic people.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Meh, as much as I dislike the idea of hate, alola is probably better off with that than the awful types of fans amour shipping ended up with....(i mean, whether or not amour shipping is a 'good' or 'bad' couple really doesn't matter when like nearly everyone who likes it is a jerk >_<;;; you know? at least haters can't poison something as bad as bad fans, pretty much....)

I know not all amour shippers are jerks, but jerks seem common enough in the community that its turned me off that pairing xD Cuz I don't like dealing with dramatic people.
Agreed, a lot of Amourshippers can be really annoying, especially wehn they bash other ships and claim Amour is cannon (Even tho Amour is only one sided cannon)

Darkpoké0011

User of the Dark-Type
Years
I'm not going to lie, I find myself missing HM's over Ride Pokemon. Whether this is due to me liking the extra option of the d-pad for movement (may sounds strange I know) or because it's 'traditional' I'm not sure.

I also miss gyms significantly and can't see them NOT returning for generation 8. Generation 7 is different, and I believe this is a key reason for the hate (and love too) that it receives from various fans.

I myself haven't touched Moon in awhile now and have been playing back through the generation 6 games, and wouldn't say I hated generation 7 (wasn't fond of the 'hand-holding' early on in the games however, 'kids game' or not) but it certainly took some getting used to, but hey, I've not played Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon so maybe those are vast improvements on the original generation 7 games.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
but hey, I've not played Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon so maybe those are vast improvements on the original generation 7 games.

You should play USUM if you can. They took what SM did, and perfected it to create a really strong third title. A lot of changes and new additions are present, such as the whole Necrozma plot, Mantine surfing and new totems...and that's not even all of the changes.

arcaninegirl3

stalker
Years
I got Moon ver when it came out but never finished it :p I also got UM when it came out and did finish it lol I don't hate them, I just think they are kind of boring imo. They arent bad games, just not my cup of tea. Also, Green and Red replaced Blue with Cynthia...maybe lol

Years
Anyone remember when you finally beat the main story in Sun or Moon? Who really enjoyed that overly long ending followed by a forced battle with Tapu Koko afterward? Felt like ages until you actually got to the credits.

Also, for the breeders who also played Sun and Moon. Remember the fun of having to lose at the Battle Royal a thousand times just so you could get a Destiny Knot or having to rely on a Pok?mon with Pickup at a low level just for a tiny chance to even find it? At least that was fixed for USUM, but still...

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Who really enjoyed that overly long ending followed by a forced battle with Tapu Koko afterward?

NO! DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT!

Oh, but in all seriousness, that forced Tapu Koko fight was horribly done while trying to use the region lore as a way of attempting to justify it, especially considering you can't even save before the battle. If you've been playing through the games since the early days, you'll be used to the fact that if you KO a legendary, you have to go through the E4 again, and if you're a competitive player, then it just gets worse because you want the nature and Hidden Power type fixed on it too. Granted, Tapu Koko just comes back if you KO it, but the game doesn't tell you of that until too late, so a player will highly likely assume you have to do the E4 again. At least I got a good nature on mine...

Back