• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you Like/Hate in Video games

... ...

Banned
Years
What kind of things do you all like/hate in the video game industry or players in general?

I'll start off by mentioning a phrase that gets thrown around alot especially in the videogame scene: "Double" or "Triple Dipping"

I absolutely hate this phrase and I'm very sure people in other countries outside the USA hate it too. Why I hate it is because people who complain about "double dipping" on a $20-$30 game don't seem to realise that other people have to pay 2 or 3 times as much.

So in a nutshell: It's basically an insult to other people who are having it tough in other countries.

Years
Hmmm, alrighty.

I think the most important thing a game can do for me is, well... I like to feel like the game is asking something of me in terms of my own skill at the game, as well as my own observation and problem-solving skills, in order to proceed. I dunno if this really makes sense, but I'm not at all a fan of games essentially being their own walkthroughs, and there is a healthy middle ground between that and being old point-and-click adventure game levels of obtuse.

Another preference that sort of serves as both types of answers asked for is that I have a strong inclination towards quality over quantity in terms of video game content. Give me a handful of really good, fully fleshed-out and intricate sidequests over a phone book full of cheap rehashed fetch quest objectives any day, for example. Having lots of a thing does nothing for me if almost none of the individual things have much of any impact or meaning.

Last edited:
Years
I don't play online games no more but when I did the annoying thing for me was people messing about on their mics, I think some people refer to some of them as squeakers lol.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I generally hate seeing things die in games, at least on some level (like if its a cuter game i won't mind much but it still kind of unerves me....).

I'm glad theres no death in pokemon =)

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I hate it when the developers nerfing the current top tier in the meta, so that players need to spend money to buy the new released top tier.

Years
What kind of things do you all like/hate in the video game industry or players in general?

I'll start off by mentioning a phrase that gets thrown around alot especially in the videogame scene: "Double" or "Triple Dipping"

I absolutely hate this phrase and I'm very sure people in other countries outside the USA hate it too. Why I hate it is because people who complain about "double dipping" on a $20-$30 game don't seem to realise that other people have to pay 2 or 3 times as much.

So in a nutshell: It's basically an insult to other people who are having it tough in other countries.

I owm 3 copies of Skyrim and haven't even played it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I don't ever double-dip intentionally, but back in the day I purchased a lot of cheap bundles and some games are just offered in bundles more often, so I end up with more than one copy. I usually gift them to people who want it, though.

Anyway, I love games with "craft and collect" mechanics - a lot of them get very repetitive after a while, but even knowing that it's still something I'm really drawn to and whenever I see a new game that features stuff like it, it always catches my eye.

... ...

Banned
Years
I don't ever double-dip intentionally, but back in the day I purchased a lot of cheap bundles and some games are just offered in bundles more often, so I end up with more than one copy.

So..you've never payed $80 max for a nes/snes/master system/mega drive cartridge back in "your day"

Ok gotcha

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Never owned those consoles friend, literally just talking about those cheap PC bundles that give you like 10 games for 5 bucks

pkmin3033

- Sidequests! Even if they're repetitive fetch quests, I love doing sidequests. I like having things to do that are not the main story - that are not awful minigames, see below - that give me an opportunity to explore the world and interact with NPCs. That said, a sidequest should have some kind of reward that makes it worth doing...I don't like repeating sidequests, or ones that are just for a checklist to 100% completion. Stuff like the Castaway quests in Ys VIII that develop said NPCs once you complete them, or Montblanc's hunts in FFXII. Character quests are even better.

- Compendiums. My heart always warms a little when I see a compendium, especially one with percentage totals. I'm still a completionist at heart even if I don't have as much time as I used to, and being able to look through everything I've seen and done gives me a sense of accomplishment. Plus it's just nice to stop and look at the enemies I've been killing sometimes: see how much HP they have, what they drop, etc.

- Music. This should probably have been the first one, because it is absolutely essential to me that a video game have a good OST. One of the main reasons I was so put out with Monster Hunter World was because not every monster had its own unique theme, as they did in past games - I find fights to be more memorable and engaging, and towns to be more interesting, and the entire experience to just be BETTER, when there is a good accompanying piece. Only in horror games should there be no music at all, as far as I'm concerned.

- Grinding. Yes, really. A game that will let me grind is often a game I will enjoy more. I like being able to set my own pace in games, and I do not appreciate having that hampered by diminishing returns in EXP, systems locked behind story milestones (such as with FFXIII's Crystarium, as a more heinous example) or just making EXP gains so low that it's not worth it.

- Character customisation. There is no such thing as "just cosmetics" in video games. Customisation is VERY important. It's about player expression and personalisation, and I like playing with a character who is aesthetically pleasing to me. If I am making my own avatar, I want a proper range of choices. If I'm not, some alternate costumes that are not just lazy palette swaps would be appreciated.

Things I hate:

- Low item drop rates. I absolutely hate how lazy a design choice this is. It artificially extends the life of the game and it's just not fun to have to kill something over and over again just for that one item drop that has a ~1% chance of dropping because the developers felt like being arbitrary. When that's the only way to get said item it's even worse. This has happened to me A LOT in Monster Hunter (fuck Rathian Ruby, seriously) but a lot of JRPGs have sidequests that require you to get a ridiculously rare item and it's just...so, so unnecessary. Rather than build a long and detailed chain of quests, or make it a guaranteed drop behind a tougher enemy, they make it an RNG drop. Absolutely no respect at all for the player's time at all.

- Mandatory motion controls. I am all for motion controls being included in video games, and I will even accept having them shoved in my face repeatedly so long as I don't have to use them. But being required to use them? No. Player choice should always be an integral factor of any game. They just don't work. No control scheme designed yet is as simple or intuitive as button-based controls. I don't want to tilt my console, or shake my hand about, or whatever else. I shouldn't have to for any game.

- No dubs. If it is localised in the West, it should be localised completely. The ONLY time I can accept this as a cost issue is with visual novels, because there is a lot of text and fully voicing it would take an absurd amount of time. I am NOT accepting the cost excuse for anything else. There is a wild inconsistency with this, and it's always developers who could easily afford it, like KT, who don't bother.

...yeah, I'm still sore over Atelier Lydie and Suelle.

- Sudden gameplay changes. As a great example of this, the White Palace in Hollow Knight. Up to this point, the game had focused more on the combat, with minimal platforming...the White Palace is platforming hell. It just feels so out of place and there was no build-up to it. It was a brilliantly designed section of the game, and it wasn't impossible by any means, but it felt like it had been taken out of a completely different game.

- Minigames. I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually enjoyed minigames in video games. That isn't an exaggeration, either. I always feel like minigames are shoehorned in, and they're never particularly well designed or thought out. A lot of good rewards are often locked behind them, too.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I'll post what i like and dislike about pokemon:

Like: The battles are more like a sport, and no one really gets hurt, and theres a strong theme of friendship, the collecting is fun, and the characters are often really cute.

Dislike: Some of the evil team stories can get too dark.... :/ I also kinda wish cuter pokemon in general could make better battlers (well it doesn't so much matter if they are in game.....but its annoying not being able to use them so well in link battles and stuff :/), I like cool pokemon and all, some i even adore (like lucario), but I would enjoy being able to win with girlier pokemon a bit more xD

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
Things that I love in video games is if it lets me get to know the characters more on a personal level, whether that be me talking to them with my own character or seeing them talk to eachother, it makes me very happy to see and I would love to see this in more games. Persona is the main game that does it right for me, personally. I loove me some Social Links/Confidants.

Things that I hate in video games and this goes for pretty much any game it's elitism. So what if i'm new to the game? So what if I don't like this game that's almost universally praised? So what if I don't want to complete this game on the hardest difficulty that makes me want to die? I hate this so much. Also, when someone gives you 'unwanted advice' (Saying that lightly here) and when you ask for advice/help they'll say 'Git Gud'. I'm sorry but that's where I draw the line. I've seen several characters/games ruined for me by their toxic fanbases.

Years
Things that I love in video games is if it lets me get to know the characters more on a personal level, whether that be me talking to them with my own character or seeing them talk to eachother, it makes me very happy to see and I would love to see this in more games. Persona is the main game that does it right for me, personally. I loove me some Social Links/Confidants.

Things that I hate in video games and this goes for pretty much any game it's elitism. So what if i'm new to the game? So what if I don't like this game that's almost universally praised? So what if I don't want to complete this game on the hardest difficulty that makes me want to die? I hate this so much. Also, when someone gives you 'unwanted advice' (Saying that lightly here) and when you ask for advice/help they'll say 'Git Gud'. I'm sorry but that's where I draw the line. I've seen several characters/games ruined for me by their toxic fanbases.

I think toxic fanbases affects practically every game sadly.

TY

I like base building, resource gathering games along with games that provide something unique.

I absolutely cannot stand rubberbanding. That shit needs to begone ASAP

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I like in a game:

Multiplayer wise, i basically love the feeling of looking forward for new and exciting things that people do. For example, the reason why I still love playing League of Legends aside from it still being a fun game for me is that there's always a new experience to be a part of, such as something that may seem so troll suddenly becoming "meta" (Like Jungle Talon), or a hot new Rune + Item build on a champion that suddenly makes that champion more powerful than people expected, and just new and exciting things that people will abuse, which many may end up being changed thereafter. Still, its always the feeling of something "new and exciting" to look forward to. Of course, League still has a DUCK TONNE of problems mainly on its Silver V to Gold X balance team, some problems that Rito still refuses to fix completely like Master Yi's Alpha Strike and its interactions with certain skills, minion blocking (like hell DOTO2 does minion blocking well), and among other things.

Otherwise, Imma gunna rant a bit about a game that I did love for only a year, and that be Overwatch. 60 USD game btw. Yes it was and is still a rather solid and decent game but i after spending a year or so playing that game especially back when it was still new, I realized that there was little to look forward to the more i played Overwatch. Like, okay, the game does have some content for anyone to unlock such as skins, but really its just that... i thought there was so little (OR NONE AT ALL) to look forward to the more i played it. Understandably, Overwatch isn't like League or DOTO2 where there are items that heroes/champions should build, but at the same time its like... its hard for me to explain in mere words. I felt that there wasn't anything new the more i played. No hot new item build or TROLL PICKS (Or Troll champion picks AND item build) to capitalise on, and make into a meta, or something like it. Hell, to fire a lot of shots against Overwatch and to praise Team Fortress 2, at least in TF2, there WAS a way to redefine a class based on the items and weapons that were unlocked. If anyone can remember the days of DemoKnights, i salute you. Team Fortress 2 made it possible for a class based shooter to feel fresh and exciting thanks to items and weapons that players can unlock to make a loadout/build for a class that completely redefines a character in such meaningful ways... Overwatch for what it is, just doesn't have that same feeling.

So yeah, not to hate on Overwatch, its still a game I'd play especially since it got another price drop especially for those who have Humble Bundles (12 USD Overwatch OVERLUL) and I have some friends who are about to play it, and some friends who still occasionally play.

So.. what i hate on a game?
- Read my rant on Overwatch or simply put, not having that feeling of something new and exciting.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I hate non-refundable digital only games you can get on either the Eshop or PSN store; better hope you like them, because you are 100% stuck with them either way.

It's the biggest reason I always buy physical copies of almost everything if I can. Especially on console. I'd have wasted hundreds of dollars by now if I couldn't resell games I thought I would enjoy, but then did not.

Mechanics:

Like: I like single player, story driven games where I'm allowed to grind to my heart's content. I don't NEED to, but I'm allowed to. I'm a perfectionist gamer.

Dislike: I detest competitive multiplayer games like CoD and other first person shooters probably more-so than any other game.
And Sports games, where it's just Basketball/Football/Soccer, literally the same game AGAIN every single year until the end of time. I feel so sorry for people who rush out to buy games that only stay relevant for less than one year.
How lazy can developers be too; but it's like printing money, so I can't blame them.

Last edited:
Back