• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga My Hero Academia thread

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I like it, read most of the manga except a few recent chapters. Watched the anime. The villains are lackluster though. Gentle is one of the better villains, being more sympathetic and more than a generic I hate heroes type villain. Your thoughts on the series?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
As if my profile picture and signature weren't enough to show I love it.

I've read up until the currently last chapter, and I'm dying just to see what happens next.

I like most of the characters, though I think there are others who leave a bit to be desired (cough Koda cough Sato cough Hagakure cough Shinso cough all of Class 1-B).

I also like Mineta, because he was that one character I could sort of sympathize with: a pervert, a coward, and one who accidentally rubs salt on wounds.

As for the villains, I mostly agree on you. I looove Gentle and La Brava, though I have a soft spot for a few of the League of Villains, mostly Mr. Compress and Twice.

Years
I loved Gentle and La Brava/Love Lover (or whatever her name is)! They are awesome and were real entertaining, would love to see more of them. My top characters are the Big Three though....but I also love Todoroki a lot (who doesn't?) and Deku is super cute and pure too. Oh, and Jirou is insanely adorable. They're all cool ok!

The most recent chapter has me very excited and I can't wait to see what interactions we'll have between you-know-who. Clarification on fan theories incoming???

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Please elaborate.

What's there to elaborate on? It's pitifully predictable.

It'd be huge if we lived in 1998, but this is yet again another modern assembly line shonen. Why did this one get noticed more than any other?

But looking at your age compared to mine, the shonen formula might be a new thing for you. Hell, I was the same way at 16. But now, especially in the last 5-10 years, shonen has become my least favorite genre, bar none due to an onslaught of copycat unoriginal and boring concepts. It's assembly line to me now. Academia is literally no different to me than any other of those modern series.

Last edited:
Years
I'm 27 soon and I still love a cookie cutter shounen jump series. :wink-right-eye:

Hero Aca not so much though. I think I've said it before but there is not one memorable villain in the series, not one that doesn't die in a couple of chapters anyway. Suppose that might change if they actually do something with Endeavour as an out and out villain but I doubt they will.

I've seen a lot of people make comparisons to Naruto but I'm not really feeling that. Personally think it feels a lot more like Shokugeki no Souma, although that series obviously handles it's rival characters better.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I'm 27 soon and I still love a cookie cutter shounen jump series. :wink-right-eye:

Hero Aca not so much though. I think I've said it before but there is not one memorable villain in the series, not one that doesn't die in a couple of chapters anyway. Suppose that might change if they actually do something with Endeavour as an out and out villain but I doubt they will.

I've seen a lot of people make comparisons to Naruto but I'm not really feeling that. Personally think it feels a lot more like Shokugeki no Souma, although that series obviously handles it's rival characters better.

Not saying everyone my age feels that way. Just different tastes. But me personally, I have very little patience for shonen. Even a lot of the stuff I grew up with in that regard is horrible to watch now.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Unmemorable villains? Stain is a superb villain, many of the others are coming into their own in the manga too.

The idea that villains die within a few chapters is actual progress - no longer do we have bad-guys who escape every confrontation or string out a series for 300+ episodes.

MHA is shonen perfected. Still shonen, sure, but its cut a lot of the crap from the big players.

Years
Stain was definitely an amazing villain and I can understand why he's so popular, especially in the west. Readers on the MHA reddit seem to love him especially haha.

the newest chapter was amazing....and I am loving Hawks more and more, even if his future seems uncertain. :{

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
I actually really appreciate Shiguraki as a villain. He's...different. He grows as a character over the series, as well. He has an interesting and unique personality when it comes to big villains in shounen anime

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I find it humorous now if a shonen breaks ANY standard cliche of the last 20 years, it's applauded by the fans as unique or even good.

That's what I'm seeing in this topic essentially, "Well it's pretty good... For a shonen"

Comes across like backhanded compliments to me.

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
I prefer this one over some of the crap offered to me in the past.

I'm hoping for them to drastically change the formula soon, that's one way to keep me entertained.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 6, 2020
i keep up with the chapters and try to watch the anime when i have down time on the weekends. it's not my favorite series by any means, but I'm always a sucker for super hero series.

Years
So the anime-only special episode aired recently, which is supposed to advertise the movie currently airing right now. Have you guys seen it? What did you think?? I loved it a lot more than I thought I would personally, seeing Present Mic and Midnight's insane acting was great hahaha.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
It was pretty ridiculous, glad it was just a one off though - filler episodes make me nervous :p.

Enjoyed the Tournament Arc, looking forward to the last few episodes :D.

Years
Last episode of the hero license arc was greaaaat. I love Inasa and Todoroki, finally seeing their combination attacks animated was awesome. And next week we have the long-awaited Deku and Bakugo confrontation! I'm really excited!!

Back