• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: [DELAYED] Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow on 3DS, Switch titles

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
But it's not new stuff! :P I'm generally less excited for ports, but I'll definitely be picking up some of those too. I haven't played XII and I'm considering it for the Switch, might also replay X/X-2 since I loved those and haven't played since I was like 10. And my PS2 is broken. I usually don't like buying the same game again for a different console if it already works on another one.

World of FF is the one with the chibis, right? I've actually never played or heard of it, how is it?

Years
World of FF is the one with the chibis, right? I've actually never played or heard of it, how is it?

Yep! World of Final Fantasy is basically what happens if you combined the characters of Final Fantasy with Pokemon, and it works extremely similarly to Pokemon, except with slightly different battle functions. Even how you catch creatures in the game (that are called Mirages) are similar to how you catch Pokemon, so on and so forth.

The games' characters and plot are really what drew me in, though. Sure, a lot of FF characters make cameos, but I'm a big fan of the protagonists and the story in general and how the battle system is, although it takes some getting used to, haha.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Ooo, that sounds like something I'd be interested in, too! I thought it looked really cute in the Direct, but I didn't know anything about the gameplay, lol. Worth it just for the nostalgia of seeing old FF characters.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
But it's not new stuff! :P I'm generally less excited for ports, but I'll definitely be picking up some of those too.
I can understand where you're coming from, and I do hold somewhat similar sentiments as you regarding this. However, I think you're missing a couple of points here:

First of all, I have a rule for myself in that anything that can be ported/remade/newly released for the Switch should be on the Switch for the (relative) fact that the system is so versatile in its functionality that it's currently my most enjoyable gaming experience.

Secondly, since Square (and Square Enix) hasn't really made an effort to release any core Final Fantasy series games after VI onto a Nintendo system of any sort can possibly set a precedent for future core Final Fantasy games. Example, Final Fantasy VII remake and/or Final Fantasy XVI having possible releases for the Switch.

Also, depending how successful their ports get, Square Enix may feel inclined to release other ports (looking at you Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions & Final Fantasy XIV).

Yep! World of Final Fantasy is basically what happens if you combined the characters of Final Fantasy with Pokemon, and it works extremely similarly to Pokemon, except with slightly different battle functions. Even how you catch creatures in the game (that are called Mirages) are similar to how you catch Pokemon, so on and so forth.

The games' characters and plot are really what drew me in, though. Sure, a lot of FF characters make cameos, but I'm a big fan of the protagonists and the story in general and how the battle system is, although it takes some getting used to, haha.
I tried getting into this but had a difficult time going further than the demo. Of course, financial constraints were probably another factor behind my lack of motivation of exploring this. However, seeing the rule I mentioned in the comment above, and assuming the comparison you're making to Pokemon holds relatively true for me as well, I may give this another shot in the near-distant future.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I can understand where you're coming from, and I do hold somewhat similar sentiments as you regarding this. However, I think you're missing a couple of points here:

First of all, I have a rule for myself in that anything that can be ported/remade/newly released for the Switch should be on the Switch for the (relative) fact that the system is so versatile in its functionality that it's currently my most enjoyable gaming experience.

Secondly, since Square (and Square Enix) hasn't really made an effort to release any core Final Fantasy series games after VI onto a Nintendo system of any sort can possibly set a precedent for future core Final Fantasy games. Example, Final Fantasy VII remake and/or Final Fantasy XVI having possible releases for the Switch.

Also, depending how successful their ports get, Square Enix may feel inclined to release other ports (looking at you Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions & Final Fantasy XIV).
For sure! My immediate reaction was just ooh, shiny new things (and specifically, Animal Crossing) so that kinda pushed the FF ports out of my mind a bit. :P I definitely agree that the Switch is a great system to port old (and newer) favourites to, and the Tactics game would do well on them. I'm a little unsure of how some of the newer games/games with more advanced 3D graphics might run on it though - some of the ports looked pretty terrible, even in the short Direct clips the FPS looked kinda low.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I respect your honesty regarding your distraction toward metaphorically shiny objects. :tongue-poke:

As for mine, I didn't that much out of the Direct outside (more) Smash news, details regarding the Online Service *about time*, Final Fantasy information posted, and the confirmation of Civilization VI being released to the Switch.

On another note, I'm sure if Square-Enix would get their act together & stop overly obsessing developing the latest shiny objects via graphical capabilities, they would find a way around the Switch's comparatively inferior (to the PS4 & XBox nOne hardware) hardware.

Last edited:
Back