• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dating apps/websites?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 14, 2018
there's a nice brothel nearby and i greatly enjoy that if i want SEX

with dating or relationships i don't bother anymore, it's only getting on my nerves and i dont see why i need to do that only because society is expecting it from me

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
A long time ago I tried a few. Wasn't my thing. Apparently my thing is staying single, lol.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I've never used a dating app or site - in the same boat as others here who find it a bit forced.
That was one of my impressions of using dating apps, especially if you're using them for the sole purpose of dating, and/or not placing your expectations in their proper place.

And so, I have let my accounts on those sites dissolve into the ether. Also, I don't feel that I am ready for that type of relationship/courtship. If I were to resume attempts at dating, I would use those as a supplement not a replacement to meeting women.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
That was one of my impressions of using dating apps, especially if you're using them for the sole purpose of dating, and/or not placing your expectations in their proper place.

And so, I have let my accounts on those sites dissolve into the ether. Also, I don't feel that I am ready for that type of relationship/courtship. If I were to resume attempts at dating, I would use those as a supplement not a replacement to meeting women.
For sure, I don't think it's impossible, but I feel like it might be harder to really foster a deeper connection that way. I do think it's a good way to find hookups though, but that's not for me personally.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
My best friend met her fiancé on Tinder, so it's not impossible.

As for me, I've tried a few. I prefer to meet someone the old fashioned way though.

Years
I've never really been a big fan of dating sites, tbh. :x Like I understand and recognize that it works for some people, and that's great! But for me, I feel like a relationship is more meaningful if it starts off as a friendship first.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Also this probably isn't advisable but I use Grindr to find people to hang out with when I'm travelling. I went on an adventure with a guy I saw on Grindr when I was in Thailand to like this waterfall, only because it would make transport half as expensive and so I could have someone take my photo/to also watch my stuff. Maybe not advisable but I'm alive and got good photos and had a fun day soooo
I decided to actually give it a try recently and I've been having conversations with a few people that aren't just there for hookups. I even stated that I'm not in it for right now, but I still get a few conversations where it's

"hey"
"sup"
<dick pic> "nm, u"

*block*
I've never really been a big fan of dating sites, tbh. :x Like I understand and recognize that it works for some people, and that's great! But for me, I feel like a relationship is more meaningful if it starts off as a friendship first.
That's definitely true, at least if you don't get friendzoned right away :x

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
We have ad-sign haning around everywhere where they brag about how every <insert random number> minutes someone on their site falls in love. It's sad how dumb those ads are structured and that people actually believe in them. I mean, there are so many issues those ads avoid, like
- if only one falls in love then the other doesn't?
- if both fall in love, does that mean the time doubles and your chances become half?
- how many people are on that site anyway? the more there are, the less probable it is that you're the next one
- also: how many of the people on there are actually decent people who really just want to use it for what it was meant to be
- I could go on and on and on

I'm not using those sites. Finding someone that way, that is when it actually works out, seems kinda boring and cheap.
My best friend met her fiancé on Tinder, so it's not impossible.
Not impossible, but improbable.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Stats time! According to The Economist, in 2010, in the US, 20% of heterosexual people and 67% of homosexual people found a couple online (that includes apps + Discord/chatrooms/forums like PC). Also, online couples tend to last longer and be slightly happier than matches found offline through friends, co-workers, school mates or other meeting places.

And this said, I never used a dating app- never found it appealing and I'm not particularly interested in dating people in the hopes one clicks. I'm more into becoming friends with someone and then figuring out where to go from there, which dating apps aren't exactly about. But I did have two relationships online thanks to this forum (plus an offer for a third that never went anywhere, and a hint of a fourth that's never got past the jokey phase) so I can attest that the magic does work in some degree.

Last edited:
Years
nope, but i know those who have! and some have met great people.

And this said, I never used a dating app- never found it appealing and I'm not particularly interested in dating people in the hopes one clicks. I'm more into becoming friends with someone and then figuring out where to go from there, which dating apps aren't exactly about.

agreed. i find this the much more genuine way for me, rather than using a website to date someone you hardly know for the sake of dating. it obviously works for many people, but i'd prefer different methods. pc is already matchmaker in its own way anyway haha =p

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Dating sites are a joke.

Everyone wants this streamlined, fast, fast, fast magic formula; and some sites even advertise (like it's a benefit) to have lots of complicated algorithms, "we'll tell you what to talk about", etc, which is about as phony as it gets.

I agree with Colours, actually. It's a cliche, but true. When you finally just go with the flow and instead go to places you enjoy, rather than the window displays that are dating sites, that's when you'll really find someone you gel with.

I've tried my fair share and it's such a huge waste of time if you're a guy, and overwhelming if you're a girl. And I've met some of the best people, friends or more, on places like forums. I only met one person that stuck around on a dating site after over 10+ years.

Back