The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Internet & Technology
Dating apps/websites?

Internet & Technology Here's where we nerd out about the world wide web and all forms of technology!

Old August 26th, 2018 (6:55 PM).

My best friend met her fiancé on Tinder, so it's not impossible.

As for me, I've tried a few. I prefer to meet someone the old fashioned way though.

Moderator of Entertainment & Media
Old August 26th, 2018 (7:06 PM).

Nature: Jolly
I've never really been a big fan of dating sites, tbh. :x Like I understand and recognize that it works for some people, and that's great! But for me, I feel like a relationship is more meaningful if it starts off as a friendship first.
Old August 26th, 2018 (9:22 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
Also this probably isn't advisable but I use Grindr to find people to hang out with when I'm travelling. I went on an adventure with a guy I saw on Grindr when I was in Thailand to like this waterfall, only because it would make transport half as expensive and so I could have someone take my photo/to also watch my stuff. Maybe not advisable but I'm alive and got good photos and had a fun day soooo
I decided to actually give it a try recently and I've been having conversations with a few people that aren't just there for hookups. I even stated that I'm not in it for right now, but I still get a few conversations where it's

"hey"
"sup"
<dick pic> "nm, u"

*block*
Quote:
Originally Posted by colours View Post
I've never really been a big fan of dating sites, tbh. :x Like I understand and recognize that it works for some people, and that's great! But for me, I feel like a relationship is more meaningful if it starts off as a friendship first.
That's definitely true, at least if you don't get friendzoned right away :x

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

I coveted that wind, I suppose.

Moderator of Internet & Technology - Signature Image
Old August 26th, 2018 (9:29 PM).

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganondorf View Post
That's definitely true, at least if you don't get friendzoned right away :x
I'm personally of the belief that love happens when it happens and not when you're actively looking.

Of course, that's not to say that there's anything wrong with the latter. That's just my own thing.
Old August 30th, 2018 (9:19 PM).
Lord

We have ad-sign haning around everywhere where they brag about how every <insert random number> minutes someone on their site falls in love. It's sad how dumb those ads are structured and that people actually believe in them. I mean, there are so many issues those ads avoid, like
- if only one falls in love then the other doesn't?
- if both fall in love, does that mean the time doubles and your chances become half?
- how many people are on that site anyway? the more there are, the less probable it is that you're the next one
- also: how many of the people on there are actually decent people who really just want to use it for what it was meant to be
- I could go on and on and on

I'm not using those sites. Finding someone that way, that is when it actually works out, seems kinda boring and cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro. View Post
My best friend met her fiancé on Tinder, so it's not impossible.
Not impossible, but improbable.
Old September 1st, 2018 (9:33 AM). Edited September 1st, 2018 by Ivysaur.
You found a heart!

Stats time! According to The Economist, in 2010, in the US, 20% of heterosexual people and 67% of homosexual people found a couple online (that includes apps + Discord/chatrooms/forums like PC). Also, online couples tend to last longer and be slightly happier than matches found offline through friends, co-workers, school mates or other meeting places.

And this said, I never used a dating app- never found it appealing and I'm not particularly interested in dating people in the hopes one clicks. I'm more into becoming friends with someone and then figuring out where to go from there, which dating apps aren't exactly about. But I did have two relationships online thanks to this forum (plus an offer for a third that never went anywhere, and a hint of a fourth that's never got past the jokey phase) so I can attest that the magic does work in some degree.
Old September 26th, 2018 (1:01 PM).
(≧∇≦)/

Nature: Timid
nope, but i know those who have! and some have met great people.

Quote:
And this said, I never used a dating app- never found it appealing and I'm not particularly interested in dating people in the hopes one clicks. I'm more into becoming friends with someone and then figuring out where to go from there, which dating apps aren't exactly about.
agreed. i find this the much more genuine way for me, rather than using a website to date someone you hardly know for the sake of dating. it obviously works for many people, but i'd prefer different methods. pc is already matchmaker in its own way anyway haha =p

pair family mal llsif bandori ffxiv art
sheep x bobandbill 5ever
Old September 26th, 2018 (3:12 PM).
Banned

Nature: Hasty
Dating sites are a joke.

Everyone wants this streamlined, fast, fast, fast magic formula; and some sites even advertise (like it's a benefit) to have lots of complicated algorithms, "we'll tell you what to talk about", etc, which is about as phony as it gets.

I agree with Colours, actually. It's a cliche, but true. When you finally just go with the flow and instead go to places you enjoy, rather than the window displays that are dating sites, that's when you'll really find someone you gel with.

I've tried my fair share and it's such a huge waste of time if you're a guy, and overwhelming if you're a girl. And I've met some of the best people, friends or more, on places like forums. I only met one person that stuck around on a dating site after over 10+ years.

Quick Reply