• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to the TCG, could use some opinions

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 20, 2018
I?ve just now gotten into the tcg, and I would really like to know what everyone think is the best set right now to collect. I don?t want to actually play with the cards, just collect them. So what would be the best sun and moon set to collect right now? Just from a collector?s standpoint. From what I?ve seen it seems to either be guardians rising, burning shadows or celestial storm

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
It's hard to say what the best set for collecting is because there's just no way to determine price inflation and what cards will excel in the competitive scene with any true confidence.

That said, I can give you my personal opinion! I collect older (like Base Set to Skyridge) sets so my taste is definitively skewed, but my favor falls with Shining Legends. It's the first expansion to include "shining" Pokemon since Neo Destiny, which is really cool! Also Ultra Prism stands out for the newly introduced Prism cards which tend to fetch a pretty penny. But if you're not strictly sticking to S/M, you can always go Evolutions, which released between X/Y and S/M and is an anniversary pack that contains generation 1 cards! Perhaps not a big deal to everyone, but a delightful novelty for me! :)

But iirc, Burning Shadows does have the highest number of GX/Secret cards and those tend to be worth more. Worth considering for sure!

Last edited:

Bradaction

TCG player - 34th Brisbane Regional Championships,
Years
From my experience the price of Guardians rising cards are pretty high and are nice to collect, the reason they are so high is due to the playability and if you decide to start playing it is good. Because of the high price you could sell them to save up for cards that are more expensive. Generally though if I was a collector, I would focus more on the art than anything else, for example the art from Evolutions isn't great but Sun Moon base set is, that's just my opinion though and I would recommend doing reasearch and seeing which set's artwork you like best. Kind regards Bradaction

Years
From my experience the price of Guardians rising cards are pretty high and are nice to collect, the reason they are so high is due to the playability and if you decide to start playing it is good. Because of the high price you could sell them to save up for cards that are more expensive. Generally though if I was a collector, I would focus more on the art than anything else, for example the art from Evolutions isn't great but Sun Moon base set is, that's just my opinion though and I would recommend doing reasearch and seeing which set's artwork you like best. Kind regards Bradaction

The Evolutions cards serve a purpose of nostalgia catering more than anything. They're for old farts like me who grew up with the earliest cards, primarily.

Bradaction

TCG player - 34th Brisbane Regional Championships,
Years
The Evolutions cards serve a purpose of nostalgia catering more than anything. They're for old farts like me who grew up with the earliest cards, primarily.
True but why not go for the actual cards, like base set not Evolutions. Besides if you've just started collecting, you wouldn't feel that nostalgia

Back