The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Internet & Technology
Could you live without a cellphone?

Internet & Technology Here's where we nerd out about the world wide web and all forms of technology!

Old September 13th, 2018 (3:39 AM).
press start to play_

Nature: Naive
It's 2018 and practically everybody in our society uses a cellphone. For calls, texts, social media, news, health control, you name it.

How many days do you think you could go without using yours?
Old September 13th, 2018 (4:41 AM).
Lord

Recently I've been forced to turn on my cellphone every wednesday and write a message that I'm still alive. Otherwise I would leave that thing turned off for weeks if not months.
Old September 13th, 2018 (6:00 AM).
Banned

Nature: Hasty
It's definitely useful and often used, but I could adapt if I ever had to give it up.
Old September 13th, 2018 (6:50 AM).

Nature: Calm
I don't text much and I call people maybe like once a week. Most I use it for are apps which I don't even really need. I could easily go for days without using it...even more if I lose track of where it is and don't bother to look for it.
Old September 13th, 2018 (7:10 AM).
Team Rocket!

Nature: Sassy
I think I could go without one if I had to though I would rather have one for an emergency. I'm not one to be glued to it per say but I feel odd not having it if I forget it at home because I usually feel llike that's when I'll need it most or an emergency will pop up.

[Shiny Living Dex 531]
Old September 13th, 2018 (10:31 AM).
i'm strong.

Is it cheating if I can text from my laptop?
Old September 13th, 2018 (10:37 AM).

Nature: Jolly
In this day and age, probably not. It's a necessity when things like roadside call boxes and payphones are not an option anymore should an emergency arise for someone.
Old September 13th, 2018 (10:44 AM).

no

my family makes use of cellphones pretty often; this is especially true in the case of those who don't really see each other much. it's pretty much a necessity. :x
Old September 13th, 2018 (12:09 PM).

I already rarely use my phone except to talk to my parents who are pretty much the only people who ever call me. And I guess work as well.

I can last my whole life without dumb smartphones. I went through most of my life without a smart phone anyways.
    Old September 13th, 2018 (5:22 PM).
    (≧∇≦)/

Nature: Timid
    probably not haha, but only because I'm dedicated to some games that are mobile-only. I could absolutely live without texting and everything other than my apps

pair family mal llsif bandori ffxiv art
    sheep x bobandbill 5ever
    Old September 13th, 2018 (5:34 PM).
    From Dusk to Dawn

Quote:
      Originally Posted by adventure View Post
      It's 2018 and practically everybody in our society uses a cellphone. For calls, texts, social media, news, health control, you name it.

How many days do you think you could go without using yours?
      You're sure you don't make a distinction between smart devices & cellular phones?

All the functions you mentioned are performed by smart devices (including smartphones); cell phones have only one purpose via two mediums (voice & text), and that is assuming your cell phone has the capability to text.

I don't mean to pick on you; I think the inclusion of "smart" language is quite important here.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Juno View Post
      Is it cheating if I can text from my laptop?
      If you want to use such language, sure. :tongue-poke:

I suppose the question begs to be asked whether you have a phone you text from, or do you carry your laptop everywhere you go---even in the bathroom to text, assuming that is a thing? :laugh-squinted:

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
      In this day and age, probably not. It's a necessity when things like roadside call boxes and payphones are not an option anymore should an emergency arise for someone.
      Which says a lot about where our society is going regarding privacy but that's a whole other discussion.

As for myself, yes I could live without a portable 'smart' device, including the cell phone functionality they possess for a given period. However, as pointed earlier how smart technology has become so ubiquitous in our global society, this could prove quite inconvenient.

Social Media Handles
      Discord SirSpur#1123
      Twitter SirSpur
      Instagram SirSpur
      Gab.ai SirSpur
      Diaspora SirSpur
      Old September 13th, 2018 (11:21 PM).
      signatures are cool

Nature: Quiet
      i could, maybe. if forced, i can just use my computer. I mainly use my phone for communication (texts, calls, group chats etc.)

<check out pokécommunity's social media and like, follow, subscribe blah blah blah>:
      Twitter
      Instagram
      Facebook
      YouTube
      Old September 14th, 2018 (4:29 AM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by CrimsonMajestic View Post
      Which says a lot about where our society is going regarding privacy but that's a whole other discussion.
      I am legit curious to know why you bring this up as a reply to my post. My post was directed more towards emergency situations and requiring a cell phone, not privacy. You could still get along fine with just a feature phone, really.
      Old September 14th, 2018 (6:13 AM).

Nature: Modest
      absolutely not lmao

Administrator

Old September 14th, 2018 (7:02 AM).
      *gay gasp*

Nature: Naughty
      I literally could not live without my smartphone. I went a month without one a few years ago and it was miserable. I'm tethered to my smartphone. If I'm not on my laptop, I'm probably on my iPhone or iPad.

I try to always keep it charged, keep a powerbank on me if I'm going to be away from a charging source for an extended period of time, etc.

It might sound silly, but I mean... it's more than a phone. It has valuable information on it, photos, quality of life things, etc.
      Old September 14th, 2018 (9:35 AM).
      PC's jacksepticeye enthusiast

Nature: Timid
        simple answer is no. long answer is no because i use my phone constantly for mobile only games and apps and my laptop isnt like the best ever for certain websites i use and stuff. plus my phone has a /lot/ of my pictures on them and music. stuff like that.
        Old September 14th, 2018 (9:43 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Castform View Post
        absolutely not lmao
        And here's a real-life story on why this is the answer:

I have a friend who lives with their grandmother. She does not have a cell phone, but instead has a landline phone. They had plans one day after he was done from class, and she didn't show up to the campus to pick him up (he doesn't drive). He called the landline phone and she didn't respond, worrying him. It took a wellness check to make sure she was fine, and as it turned out, she was just late from getting back from the doctor's office.

If that doesn't scream that cell phones are necessary in 2018, then I do not know what will.
        Old September 14th, 2018 (9:43 AM).

If I had to, I probably could - I didn't get a cell phone until I was almost 18 and made do without one somehow. While I do make use of my phone for many things, like music or photos, they're not absolutely necessary for me. I mean, I'd be pretty bored, but I have other ways of occupying myself if I have to.

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

I coveted that wind, I suppose.

Moderator of Internet & Technology - Signature Image
        Old September 14th, 2018 (12:31 PM).
        i'm strong.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by CrimsonMajestic View Post
        If you want to use such language, sure. :tongue-poke:

I suppose the question begs to be asked whether you have a phone you text from, or do you carry your laptop everywhere you go---even in the bathroom to text, assuming that is a thing? :laugh-squinted:
        My point was just that I technically could live more or less the same as I do now, since my laptop can have the functions of my phone anyway, haha. It wouldn't be as convenient for sure, but doable, and that include carrying it around everywhere (although I do bring it with me most days to work anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge change in lifestyle).

Texting in the bathroom isn't something I find necessary, but again, if I had to, that would be doable too.
        Old September 14th, 2018 (12:59 PM).
        Banned

Quote:
        My point was just that I technically could live more or less the same as I do now, since my laptop can have the functions of my phone anyway, haha. It wouldn't be as convenient for sure, but doable, and that include carrying it around everywhere (although I do bring it with me most days to work anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge change in lifestyle).

Texting in the bathroom isn't something I find necessary, but again, if I had to, that would be doable too.
        I've seen laptops that look like leaflets in terms of size. I've recently decided to switch from PC to laptop and while I bought a faster one just the other day, I got another one for far less that is just average in terms of age and performance for just general business use; and it's akin to a brick. I could use it as a weapon if I needed to.
        So the concept you paint of being able to text and actually use a laptop on your 'lap' still seems very foreign to me.

How big is yours?
        Old September 14th, 2018 (1:19 PM).
        i'm strong.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
        I've seen laptops that look like leaflets in terms of size. I've recently decided to switch from PC to laptop and while I bought a faster one just the other day, I got another one for far less that is just average in terms of age and performance for just general business use; and it's akin to a brick. I could use it as a weapon if I needed to.
        So the concept you paint of being able to text and actually use a laptop on your 'lap' still seems very foreign to me.

How big is yours?
        It's pretty small, about a 12-inch display - I bought this for school back in college, so portability was important to me since I intended to carry it around a lot.
        Old September 14th, 2018 (1:31 PM).
        Banned

Quote:
        It's pretty small, about a 12-inch display - I bought this for school back in college, so portability was important to me since I intended to carry it around a lot.
        Is it still sturdy despite being so tiny?

You don't look too big yourself, so I'm trying to imagine that too; if it was a huge heavy brick for you.
        Old September 14th, 2018 (1:37 PM).
        i'm strong.

Quote:
        Is it still sturdy despite being so tiny?

You don't look too big yourself, so I'm trying to imagine that too; if it was a huge heavy brick for you.
        It fits on my lap alright, and it's physically sturdy enough even though it's pretty thin. Not a great machine though, to be honest, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with its size - it's the Surface Pro 4 and I've had quite a few problems with the hardware. I had the original Surface Pro and that served me well for many years, but this generation in particular seems to have a lot of problems and known issues among its users.
        Old September 14th, 2018 (1:41 PM).
        Banned

Quote:
        It fits on my lap alright, and it's physically sturdy enough even though it's pretty thin. Not a great machine though, to be honest, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with its size - it's the Surface Pro 4 and I've had quite a few problems with the hardware. I had the original Surface Pro and that served me well for many years, but this generation in particular seems to have a lot of problems and known issues among its users.
        Was it new or refurbished or just totally used?

I spent a pretty penny on a pretty powerful medium sized one for gaming, since I'm ditching the PC I had, but if I ever just needed one for general work, I'd rather go with the cheaper basic model I have. Out of fear of placing something so expensive in danger, etc.

Honestly, it's a godsend I can plug in a keyboard and mouse, otherwise I couldn't use laptops at all. I literally wouldn't be able to put it on my lap if I wanted to because of that necessity. Instead a prefer a nice little workstation... almost like a PC so I can use them.

I can make due, but when I'm writing or actually needing to put effort into something, I could never use its built in inputs.

And I've pretty much heard since laptops came out, putting them on your lap is a bad idea anyway. :X If you know what I mean.
        Old September 14th, 2018 (1:51 PM).
        i'm strong.

Quote:
        Was it new or refurbished or just totally used?

I spent a pretty penny on a pretty powerful medium sized one for gaming, since I'm ditching the PC I had, but if I ever just needed one for general work, I'd rather go with the cheaper basic model I have. Out of fear of placing something so expensive in danger, etc.

Honestly, it's a godsend I can plug in a keyboard and mouse, otherwise I couldn't use laptops at all. I literally wouldn't be able to put it on my lap if I wanted to because of that necessity. Instead a prefer a nice little workstation... almost like a PC so I can use them.

I can make due, but when I'm writing or actually needing to put effort into something, I could never use its built in inputs.

And I've pretty much heard since laptops came out, putting them on your lap is a bad idea anyway. :X If you know what I mean.
        Brand new! That's the worst part, I've had it 2-3 years tops but it's been giving me so many problems since I got it (the flickering screen is so common, users have dubbed it "Flickergate").

I would prefer a PC for gaming and am looking to build one, but I still need a portable laptop for work so yeah, I agree getting something cheaper for that would be ideal.

The one good thing about Surface Pros in general is the hardware is in the screen part of the machine and the "keyboard" is just a typecover, so I don't think it's as damaging on your lap as regular laptops since only the kickstand and typecover rests on the surface.

But anyway, we should probably stop derailing the thread from the original cellphone topic. :P

Quick Reply