Sumner

Trick or Treat?

Male
Brazil
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
2,430 posts
1.5 Years
It's not rare that musicians make their own iteration of an already existing piece. Sometimes they don't sound that remarkable, but sometimes they turn out to be pretty good to your pleasure.

So what cover songs do you prefer over the originals?

As for me, an example is Counting Crows' Big Yellow Taxi. It has a way better vibe than Joni Mitchell's version imo.
The world was full of cravens who pretended to be heroes; it took a queer sort of courage to admit to cowardice as he had.

Child Amnesiac

Music hacker

Age 19
Male
Colorado
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
217 posts
218 Days
Bjork- It's oh so quiet (originally by Betty Hutton)

It might just me my nostalgia talking, but I think the Bjork version is just better.
I just think it has a nice thing with it being slower at first, then gets faster during the verses.
I just really like it a ton, and grew up with the Bjork version.

Palamon

Has sent out Pikachu!

Age 22
Male
Milaturia.
Seen 5 Hours Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
5,080 posts
10.7 Years
The Chain by Three Days Grace is better than Fleetwood Mac's Version, as is Three Day's Grace version of Give Into Me, Michael Jackson was cool and all, but his version of the song was really long...
Theme: Mao Isara
Pair: Go

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
20,338 posts
7.5 Years
Mandatory mention of Johnny Cash's version of Hurt (originally a NIN song).
Placebo's Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush), Disturbed's Land of Confusion (Genesis), James Young's What is Love? (Haddaway), Halestorm's Get Lucky (Daft Punk) and a sizeable portion of Caleb Hyles' covers also.

Sydian

XIII

Age 27
Georgia
Seen 22 Hours Ago
Posted 22 Hours Ago
32,479 posts
11.6 Years
boyce avenue's cover of hemorrhage (in my hands) is better than the original purely because it sounds more intimate and not like whiny butt rock. but i still like the original bc i'm a psyducking sucker for stupid early 00's butt rock honestly. lmfao
vacation? what's that?
twitter | ao3

Sumner

Trick or Treat?

Male
Brazil
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
2,430 posts
1.5 Years
No Doubt's cover of It's My Life >>>>> the original version by some irrelevant band.
Waaauw don't you dare say that about Talk Talk >:c
The world was full of cravens who pretended to be heroes; it took a queer sort of courage to admit to cowardice as he had.

Phosphophyllite

It takes place in Italy, so use the Italian word!

Age 17
Male
Venezia, Italia
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
"I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth. Yup, that's actually a cover. And I like it more than the original (which was performed by The Monkees).

I only listen to high-quality video game rips.

Sumner

Trick or Treat?

Male
Brazil
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
2,430 posts
1.5 Years
"I'm a Believer" by Smash Mouth. Yup, that's actually a cover. And I like it more than the original (which was performed by The Monkees).
Haha yeah, I know that one by The Monkees. Don't know which one I prefer actually. Also do people not know that Smash Mouth's version is a cover? :P

Ash Ketchup

Female
Tohjo Falls
Seen July 29th, 2019
Posted July 29th, 2019
2,012 posts
14 Years
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by Otis Redding is the first song I think of when anyone mentions cover versions that are better than the original.

I'll have to have a think about others.
You down with VPP? | My HOF 

Fletch

Age 23
Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 15 Hours Ago
6,386 posts
5.7 Years
I def have to agree that No Doubt’s It’s My Life gets me grooving way more than the original. That’s the only cover I can think of right now that I absolutely enjoy over the original

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum

Non-binary
Hanging out with Team Rocket
Seen August 3rd, 2019
Posted August 2nd, 2019
141 posts
3.7 Years
Mandatory mention of Johnny Cash's version of Hurt (originally a NIN song).
Placebo's Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush), Disturbed's Land of Confusion (Genesis), James Young's What is Love? (Haddaway), Halestorm's Get Lucky (Daft Punk) and a sizeable portion of Caleb Hyles' covers also.
Heck yeah on Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. He poured in so much emotion into it! It was like a different song. So very well done.

Heart's take on Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors is just incredible. One of my favorites.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
20,338 posts
7.5 Years
Heck yeah on Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. He poured in so much emotion into it! It was like a different song. So very well done.

Heart's take on Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors is just incredible. One of my favorites.
I honestly can't even listen to the original anymore haha

DigitalMewtwo

Non-binary
Seen August 3rd, 2019
Posted August 2nd, 2019
141 posts
3.7 Years
I honestly can't even listen to the original anymore haha
Ah. I still can, they're just different takes on it.

gimmepie

Age 24
Male
Australia
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 12 Hours Ago
20,338 posts
7.5 Years
Ah. I still can, they're just different takes on it.
Certainly. It's not that I don't like the original it's just that I don't really have any desire to listen to it because it's so dramatically eclipsed.

DigitalMewtwo

Non-binary
Seen August 3rd, 2019
Posted August 2nd, 2019
141 posts
3.7 Years
Certainly. It's not that I don't like the original it's just that I don't really have any desire to listen to it because it's so dramatically eclipsed.
Fair point. Johnny Cash's version is very powerful, musically, and I can see how it could eclipse the original.

colours

faint attack

Female
the dream world
Online now
Posted 2 Hours Ago
5,301 posts
14.5 Years

Probably just as good if not slightly better than DJ Sammy's Heaven.
Advertiser Content