Advertiser Content

Why do some cards value increase?

Started by Burritos January 23rd, 2018 9:52 PM
  • 4 replies
Seen February 24th, 2018
Posted February 14th, 2018
11 posts
1.8 Years
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think card value generally decrease (at least 99% of the time). The reason is first they become unplayable overtime when they get eliminated in standard play, it's like not many people are willing to pay for a card that is going to get eliminated in like 3 months. Second, there might be reprints of it in a future set or even multiple future sets (assuming the production company doesn't bankrupt), which means there's going to be more copies of that cards being circulated. So the card will be easier to get, and no one will be willing to pay too much money for it.

My question is why do some rare cards increase in value, such as the Base Charizard or the Genesis Lugia from like 17 years ago. Or a few other holos from the recent past within the past lets say 7-8 years.

Those cards, are not allowed in standard play, and even if they were, they are terrible to play with. My other question is, if whoever buying that card is willing to pay $50 for it today, why didnt those people just buy it 4 years ago when it was like $20.

donavannj

Age 29
Male
'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Seen 52 Minutes Ago
Posted 52 Minutes Ago
22,400 posts
14.7 Years
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think card value generally decrease (at least 99% of the time). The reason is first they become unplayable overtime when they get eliminated in standard play, it's like not many people are willing to pay for a card that is going to get eliminated in like 3 months. Second, there might be reprints of it in a future set or even multiple future sets (assuming the production company doesn't bankrupt), which means there's going to be more copies of that cards being circulated. So the card will be easier to get, and no one will be willing to pay too much money for it.

My question is why do some rare cards increase in value, such as the Base Charizard or the Genesis Lugia from like 17 years ago. Or a few other holos from the recent past within the past lets say 7-8 years.

Those cards, are not allowed in standard play, and even if they were, they are terrible to play with. My other question is, if whoever buying that card is willing to pay $50 for it today, why didnt those people just buy it 4 years ago when it was like $20.
Basically, what is happening is that there was a nostalgia wave caused by both Pokemon Go and the 20th Anniversary celebration. There were also some mostly false videos released early in 2015 that said a lot of cards were considerably more valuable than they actually were that actually did cause prices to rise some because of naive buyers getting back into collecting the cards from the 20th anniversary and Pokemon Go.

And some of the cards just have popular Pokemon on them or have nostalgia value for people, like Base Set Charizard.
whoops

donavannj

Age 29
Male
'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Seen 52 Minutes Ago
Posted 52 Minutes Ago
22,400 posts
14.7 Years
It's a tough question, but what do YOU think will happen in the future to prices of rare cards such as the base set zard. Will it increase or decrease. I'm not expert but I remember a base set zard was only like 25-35usd about 4-5 years ago, and now it's like triple or close to triple that.
It will slowly increase at a minimum as it gets harder to come by. I don't think it'll skyrocket again unless another major surge in demand happens.
whoops
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
4 posts
89 Days
Thats a topic I usually do not think about, because for me it is about collection the artwork. Living in Germany I know, that I have to spend more money to get the cards I want than people from the US or Japan.

But here are my two cents about this topic. Sure there will always be cards that everyone wants to have regardless form which generation. These cards will either increase or stabilize over time. But as we know the price of an item is determinant by offer vs. demand. Right now and maybe for the next 5-10 the demand will be high for old cards, because the people who played with these cards 20 years ago on the schoolyard, are now able to spend money on this hobby again. But in 5-10 years the generation will change. There will be less and lees people with those nostalgic feelings (the number of cards will be the same as right now, some get damaged others will be found in the attic). The demand will go down = the price will go down. As far as I know, there are not many sets with just a few print runs these days. Usually the printer prints as long as demand is there and the market is full...

These are just my thought...😇
Advertiser Content