• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Solo Challenge

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Introduction
Welcome to The Solo Pokemon Challenge, in this challenge you will be required to play through the game using only ONE Pokemon of your choice.

Rules
1. You must beat the game with only one Pokemon.
2. HM Slaves are allowed but cannot be used in battle. If your chosen Pokemon faints and you have to send out your HM Slave you may use revives.
3. Hacking or trading your Pokemon in is perfectly fine, this allows you to use your Pokemon from start to finish. The hacked/traded Pokemon must be within legal limits, no more than 510 EVs or moves that it cannot learn. Egg moves and hidden abilities are allowed.
4. For Pokemon that evolve via stone or item, you may hack in the item after obtaining the fourth badge if the item isn't obtainable before then. In Sun & Moon you may hack in the item after unlocking Poke Pelago. For Pokemon that evolve via trade and you are unable to do so you may change their evolution method to evolve them via level up. The level you chose to evolve them is up to you, but stay within reason.
5. Playing a Pokemon hack is allowed, however complete hacks will only count as single challenges, whereas remakes/demakes/complete pokedex/difficulty hacks, like Liquid Crystal or Blaze Black, can count towards an ultimate challenge. Challenges in Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness are accepted, but only for single challenges.

Ultimate Challenges
Most of you may only want to take on the solo challenge for one game, and for those the single challenge is perfect for you! But some of you daring challengers may want to go the extra mile and take on the ultimate challenge. What is an ultimate challenge you ask? An ultimate challenge is when not only do you play through one generation using your chosen Pokemon, you play through all generations your chose Pokemon is available in. For most Pokemon that means playing through all seven generations!

For example: An ultimate challenge using Bulbasaur would require the player to play through a game for Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Alola, but an ultimate challenge for Snivy would only require the player to play through a game for Hoenn, Unova, Kalos and Alola.

Unfortunately since they are only available in one generation of games Pokemon from the Alola region are only eligible for single challenges. This will change in the future with the release of any new games.

End Points
Spoiler:

End Points (Optional)
Spoiler:

Sign-Up Form
Username:
Partner Pokemon:
Challenge: (Single or Ultimate)
Game(s):
Previous Progress: (Yes or No)

My Sign-Up
Username: TheCrystalFlaaffy
Partner Pokemon: Charizard
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Red (0/8) | Crystal (0/16) | Emerald (0/8) | Platinum (0/8) | White 2 (0/8) | Y (0/8) | Sun (0/7)
Previous Progress: No

Challengers
Single Challengers
Spoiler:
Ultimate Challengers
Spoiler:

Champions
Single Champions
Spoiler:
Ultimate Champions
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen today
Again, updating my Pokemon Ruby solo Blaziken challenge.
Went to Mauville City. Getting the Coin Case, HM06 Rock Smash and taught it to my Zigzagoon, and the bicycle. After that I went to the gym, battle Wally before entering the gym and challenge Wattson.

Youtube video: #8 Gym Leader Wattson

Combusken (Male)
Ability: Blaze
Level: 33
Nature: Mild
- Double Kick
- Ember
- Peck
- Quick Attack

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
First update for my ultimate Charizard solo, beat Red and Crystal :]

I'll get around to completing my ultimate Jynx and Venusaur solos once I get my hands on a copy of Sun as I don't want to restart my main copy of Moon.

Challenge
Spoiler:
Red
Spoiler:
Crystal
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
First update for my ultimate Charizard solo, beat Red and Crystal :]

I'll get around to completing my ultimate Jynx and Venusaur solos once I get my hands on a copy of Sun as I don't want to restart my main copy of Moon.

Challenge
Spoiler:
Red
Spoiler:
Crystal
Spoiler:

Quick thing, shouldn't you add me and that other guy in the "challengers" tab of your thread.

Years
Can I get my completed challenges moved from previous thread? If yes, then there is a list :)
Spoiler:

+ the ultimates sign up:

Username: Kostucha
Partner Pokemon: Remoraid, Dustox, Murkrow, Togekiss, Solrock
Game: Sun (gen 1-6 complete)

Also, while I'm already writing a post, I guess it's a good time to finally post some challenges I completed in a past, but never posted them (procrastination FTW!).

Mawile in Sapphire
Spoiler:

Corsola in Leaf Green
Spoiler:

Sudowoodo in Leaf Green
Spoiler:

Carnivine in Platinum
Spoiler:

Chatot in Platinum
Spoiler:

Gallade in Platinum
Spoiler:

Heatran in Platinum
Spoiler:

Lickilicky in Platinum
Spoiler:

Shaymin in Platinum
Spoiler:

Zebstrika in White 2
Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Quick thing, shouldn't you add me and that other guy in the "challengers" tab of your thread.
I will be adding all challengers and champions to the OP but if I updated the OP after every post I would be updating it every day or so. I tend to update every couple of days and make a new post notifying everyone that I have done so. I can't say exactly when I'll update it as I don't know right now, but expect to see your name up there soon.

Hope that helps :)

Relica

Worst Player Ever
Years
So for me to be listed again as an ultimate champion I am simply required to post here correct? I mean I did just finish Blaziken a week ago! {XD} So if you don't mind I'd like to be posted up there again. I'll repost everything if I have to but I'm sure it's recent enough memory where it shouldn't be an issue.

That being said I came on to update that I had finished solo Charizard, but, let me just enter it anyway here just in case.

Sign-Up Form
Username: Relica
Partner Pokemon: Charizard
Game(s): Generation 6 champion, Moon

Moon was awful to go through. I am tired of this generation and want new games already. The challenge started easily enough due to Charmander just being able to handle anything thrown at it. Dragon Rage early on makes most places a joke. The issue is that any rock type with Sturdy just ends it. This made it extremely frustrating especially against Olivia where my winning run was to get lucky in both of her battles. If I have to rely on Focus Blast one more time I think I'll rip my hair out. That being said just the same thing as always. Being over leveled really helps and Charizard's decent special attack and speed made it easily doable.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll do anymore solo runs for a bit. I was thinking of swapping to monotypes or something else for a bit. Maybe I'll do something extremely like a Ledyba ultimate challenge but right now I'm just pooped.
Spoiler:

http://imgur.com/a/eLin3

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Since there seems to be a bit of confusion regarding challenges on the old thread I'll try to clear some of that up. Whether or not someone has progress in the old solo challenge thread you still need to fill out a new sign-up form as this is a new thread. That of course doesn't mean you need to start your challenge over, just that you need to fill out the form again.

I added another section to the form for everyone to say whether or not they have any previous progress from the old thread. If you don't have previous progress just say no and continue on with your sign-up, but if you do have previous progress say yes and state what game(s) you have started or finished for your challenge. Of course if your list is as large as Kostucha's is for example I wouldn't make you fill out a new form for every single one, just list all the completed challenges as he did and that'll be fine. If you use the format that he did as well that would make things a lot easier for me to update the OP as he stated every Pokemon in each game he completed them in.

I won't be going back and forth between this thread and the old one every time someone says they have progress in the old thread. It's okay for everyone that has posted so far but to any posts after this please make sure to include a sign-up or at least a list of all your completed challenges.

Thanks everyone :]

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Username: Volga
Partner Pokemon: Doublade
Challenge: Single
Game(s): Moon (Finished)
Previous Progress: Yes

Just bringing this over as it was finished somewhat recently.

Years
Update: I just finished pokemon White solo single challenge.

Username: Radiating
Partner Pokemon: Serperior
Challenge: (Single or Ultimate): Single
Game(s): White
Previous Progress: Finished

Team details

Level 73 Serperior (Named: Radiating) @ Lucky Egg
Leaf Blade
Strength
Leech Seed
Coil

Up next, Pokemon White 2!

Years
Right, time for a new challenge. Would like to sign up for two!

Username: Count
Partner Pokemon: Sentret
Game(s): HeartGold

Username: Count
Partner Pokemon: Beautifly
Game(s): AlphaSapphire

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 23, 2019
Username: MK
Partner Pokemon: Volcarona

(PS: I can use the randomize to to put larvesta as a starter? If not i can switch my patner.
And i need to post a image of every gym leader i defeat or can i only post my hall of fame?)

I will be updating this post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team:
Lv. 15 Larvesta (Nick: Sunny) No item
- Ember
- Leech Life
- String Shot

Lv. 4 Purrloin (Nick: HMslave01) No item
- Only use as Hm slave

Spoiler:

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Username: MK
Partner Pokemon: Volcarona

(PS: I can use the randomize to to put larvesta as a starter? If not i can switch my patner.
And i need to post a image of every gym leader i defeat or can i only post my hall of fame?)

I will be updating this post.
You can use the randomizer or any third party program you want in order to put Larvesta as your starter, also screenshots aren't required so the choice is yours as to how many you post if any at all. :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 23, 2019
Hey, can i switch my patner to Leafeon and switch my game to Hearthgold?

This is because the save of my actual run was lost and i really dont want to start again.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Username: DyingWillFlareon
Partner Pokemon: Pikachu
Challenge: (Single or Ultimate) Single
Game(s): Yellow
Previous Progress: (Yes or No) Yes

I just started this earlier today but felt like logging it somewhere. So really not much previous progression but still. Combining this one with No Moves Left Behind and No PokeMarts.

Spoiler: Log 1
I started up Yellow as Al the RedTrainerSprite and used a nice Pikachu to beat up my rival, Felix. Pikachu was able to beat up most others in her way but after beating Felix the second time we forgot to get the free Pokeballs form Iak(and didnt realize until Cerulean).... -.-;; Against Brock, it was pretty difficult just Tail Whipping and Quick Attacking... The second try we got Double Team too so that was great. ������ In Mt Moon later on we got Slam which was extremely helping since we lost Thundershock to Quick Attack for out only attacking move. :') Also, how exactly does an opponent easily hit up with Paralysis+6Double Team but we miss three times in a row with Slam with no accuracy/evasion changes??????????? Then I was tempted to catch a Clefairy a few times and do a duo run instead but chose not to this time. Afterward, we made it out of the cave and I realized we have a couple good tms that Pikachu could probably learn but I didnt know if tms were allowed and no one said anything about them so I assumed not and left them. By thr time we got to Cerulean Gym, we ahs athunderbolt, so Misty and her grunts were easy as cake dressed like pie. I accidentally accepted the Charmander so I guess I have a Charmander now, gunna use him for Cut hopefully. After Bill's house I also did the Mew glitch so that hms wouldnt be much of a problem later on. We left the town and kicked a Rocket grunts butt and took his tm so that we could go to...the next town. The trail was pretty easy especially Pikachus higher level so we cango through most things with ease. I fear the coming day when Slam and Thunderbolt have to go.........

Current Team:
S.S. ANNE

Viv the Pikachu
Level 33
Agility/Double Team/Slam/Thunderbolt

Charmander
Level 10
Cut for Later

Abra
Level 7
Teleport, may use that later

Mew
Level 7
HMs for Later

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
So here are the games I've gotten a challenge beaten:

Spoiler:

Here are the in progress runs

Username: ShinyHoundoom
Partner Pokemon: Rapidash
Game(s): Blue
Previous Progress: Yes (5/8)

Partner Pokemon: Hitmonchan
Game(s): Fire Red
Previous Progress: Yes 3/8

Partner Pokemon: Houndoom
Game(s): FIre Red, HeartGold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, X, Sun
Previous Progress: Fire Red is complete and edit: HeartGold is complete as well. I did beat Red even though he was not required.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Did my first single solo, lol up till now I've only ever done ultimates. Anyway, I completed Blue with Butterfree. Was pretty fun, but also difficult due to Butterfree's limited movepool in gen 1. I also gave my rival Charmander to give myself a greater challenge and was only able to get around it with Toxic + Heal Spam.

I also have an update for my Ampharos ultimate. Finally got around to beating White 2! Had trouble with Colress and other steel type trainers since most of my moves didn't effect them too much. Thankfully I had a neutral Hidden Power, not sure what type it was though since I only used on things my other moves wouldn't really effect.

Butterfree:
Spoiler:
Ampharos:
Spoiler:
Also I will be working on updating the OP once I finish this post. Will post again, or edit this if no one posts after I do, when I finish updating :]

EDIT:
Updated to post #17, too tired to continue for right now so I'm going to head to bed then try finishing in the morning :]

EDIT:
Updated to post #20, everything is up to date now :]
Generation 6 Champion:
exSA1sB.png
Unfortunately, all ultimate challenges require a game from generation 7 as there's no generation 6 championships in this thread. I added your challenge to the ultimate challengers list for now but if for some reason you don't want to add alola to your challenge I can move the challenges over to single championships.

Last edited:
Back