• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] You can skip the capture tutorial

PkMnTrainerWilliam

Aspiring Professor's Aide
Years
Personally? Thankful. Having traveled through all current reasons thus far I'm kinda tired of constantly being reminded of one of the most basic of basics in the franchise, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that is happy to hear it. Story wise it makes sense to be taught how to do it as a new trainer, but this has been a long time coming.

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
GOOD! Hopefully the first hour of the game isn't one long tutorial like Gen 7 were. I've played these games since the release of Red and Blue. Every single generation. I know what to bloody do! I'm so sick of being walked through the game for an hour before being allowed off my leash. I hope whichever character is doing the hand-holding part of the game has a really disappointed look on their face when I say no.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
finally!

You'd think that in a long standing series like this they'd have made something like that optional years ago

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
This is excellent. This should've been introduced long back, but nevermind, they did it anyway. Now, we won't have to be schooled about how to do something that has become something as basic as brushing our teeth. A lot of time will be saved now, haha!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The last time they did this was in Pokemon GSC, iirc. Too long since then, really.

The previews generally say it has been much less hand-holdy in the beginning than in SM/USUM.

pkmin3033

Eh...it's one small, minor scene that lasts all of 2 minutes. If they wanted to add a noticeable QoL change they'd let us skip cutscenes, and give us a proper fast-forward through text. Saving a couple of minutes of my time on a tutorial isn't going to save the time I'll have to waste watching slow, boring cutscenes...which, if I were a player newer to Pokemon who went into a battle unprepared, I could end up being forced to watch again if I failed the battle that followed on from it.

It's a nice gesture. But it's too small to really be happy about.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
That is very good. Even better, they make all tutorials optional.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
tfw I'll probably still do the tutorial just to see what the dialogue is like, lmao.

But hey, at least if I ever replay the game, I can skip it! Having the option there is important, especially in such a long-standing series where basically everyone knows how it works.

Sirfetch’d

I am very happy they are including this feature! It gives me hope that other tutorials/cut scenes will be skippable in these games. While I too will probably watch it the first time around just to see what it is like it is very exciting to know that the option to skip it exists.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Thank god. And it only took 20-something years LMAO.

The only thing they really need to do now in terms of things is just change it so all cut scenes can be skipped. Especially on a replay. I get having it play out the first time, but afterwards we should be able to skip them as per standard RPG.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Good. I'm glad it's been removed but tbh I'll probably do it anyway, lol. Just gotta know I did that 100% haha.

Years
Eh...it's one small, minor scene that lasts all of 2 minutes. If they wanted to add a noticeable QoL change they'd let us skip cutscenes, and give us a proper fast-forward through text. Saving a couple of minutes of my time on a tutorial isn't going to save the time I'll have to waste watching slow, boring cutscenes...which, if I were a player newer to Pokemon who went into a battle unprepared, I could end up being forced to watch again if I failed the battle that followed on from it.

It's a nice gesture. But it's too small to really be happy about.

This is exactly my thought process, you've taken the words quite literally, out of my mouth.

Years
I get fed up of the tutorials at the beginning so this is good news, they should ask the question if you've played before when you start to Taylor the start to your experience

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It's neat, but it's a relatively small thing in itself. It did seem like from the previous the tutorials in general were quicker/less of them in this game compared to SM, so that's good.

Back