• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Charizard, Venusaur or Blastoise?

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Sep 24, 2017
All 3 of them are super powerful and clutch, but which one has the advantage overall?

Years
I'd say Squirtle/Blastoise has a bigger advantage throughout the whole game. Blastoise overall has less type match up weaknesses against the Kanto Bosses. (Gym Leaders & Elite Four). It also has pretty good defenses, with a decent Special Attack. It can take on both a Charizard and Venusaur using strong Water and Ice type moves.
(Surf, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Blizzard.)

Last edited:

Elixirloxx23

Just getting started!
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 14, 2020
I always felt Blastoise was the best choice for gen 1, with plenty of hard hitting attacks and a decent defense to back it up.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Spr_1b_003.png
Spr_1y_003.png
Spr_1g_003.png

Mega Drain x Leech Seed x Toxic Venusaur ftw.​

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Always dissing the odd one out in Pokemon Yellow. I mean sure you're always locked into Pikachu but he's still a starter damnit(and not so bad as to not be useful either). However, if I had to go with the 3 Kanto Starters in Red/Blue, I probably would go with Blastoise. Its moveset is decent, stats are comparable to the other starters and can learn Ice moves to knock out Flying, Dragon and Grass types. Considering your rival always gets the type that has a type advantage over yours, being able to learn a move that's super effective against it is a plus.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I guess Blastoise is probably the easiest to use - Venusaur isn't really suited to Sabrina for example, whereas with Misty you can just get a grass type nearby and for Lt Surge well... not much can be done there lol

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Blastoise because in any rpg my favorite characters to use are tanks, and it also looks cool.

Years
Venusaur is hands down the best. My personal favorite is Charizard for his majestic design and the buffs he receives in later gens, but that is not what the question is about. Its who has the most advantages overall in this generation and objectively that is Venusaur.

Because of the gen 1 mechanics treating special attack and sp defense as one stat Venusaur is better offensively and defensively than Charizard or Blastoise. Venusaur is essentially battling with 100 in both stats. This mechanic worked to the disadvantage of the other two, leaving Charizard and Blastoise stuck at the average 85. Venusaur could put out a lot more damage than either one of them, and continue to increase that damage output while taking less damage in return through the move Growth, the Calm Mind of the day.

If you weren't running set up you also had the alternative of Razor Leaf, which is always a crit hit when it lands because of the different formula based on speed that was used to determine critical hit probability. Since the damage was nearly doubled this effectively gave Venasaur a stab attacking move to abuse that rivaled hydro pump and fire blast in damage but with higher accuracy of 95. Venusaur has also lots of utility options from recovery moves to Swords Dance to almost every kind of status.

In addition Bulbasaur evolves at lower levels than the others, which gives the player acess to his 2nd and 3rd stage evolutions first, making life a little easier.

He even has the best type matchup for the structure of the Kanto region. It might seem like its Squirtle because the pure water typing is generally more resistent being weak to only electric and grass, those two weaknesses do happen to have gyms relatively early on though. While Bulbasaur is weak to the same number of gyms two, he has more direct advantages, resistances and immunities. Squirtle's line is super-effective against Brock, Blaine and Giovanni while resisting Lorelei and Misty. The Bulbasaur line is super-effective against Brock, Misty, Giovanni and to some extent Lorelei, he resists Erika, Bruno, Lt Surge and the fighting Dojo and is immune to being poisoned by Koga and Team Rocket.

Last edited:

ViolentCharizard14

The Violent One
Years
Charizard is actually popular than Blastoise and Venusaur.But still Blastoise owns both of them.(Also Choosing Char in pokemon r/b/y proves you are a hardcore trainer cause the first two gyms literally gives you a disadvantage)

RGC

Years
For me, it just depends on which gen 1 game you are playing. If it's red or blue I would use venusaur because of the toxic leech seed combo. But if it's leaf green or fire red, I would use blastoise because of it's diverse move pool.

Last edited:

Ash Hobelia

Twitch Streamer AshHobelia
Years
Blastoise is the best choice for Gen 1 based on its abilities and Kantos gyms and elite four, then I'd say I would go with Venusaur because he is one of my favorites but Charizard is a beast as well lol

Back