• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon Based on Spooky Lore [Part 1]

Spookiest Pokemon Lore?

• MISDREAVUS

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • ZAPDOS

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • WHISCASH

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • FROSLASS

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • NINETALES

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • DROWZEE

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • MAWILE

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024

MISDREAVUS

tumblr_ncgv99pdQO1ttdkobo1_400.gif

This dark blue ghost type Pokémon can easily be mistaken as a floating head, because that's precisely what inspired the character. Japanese mythology speaks of a "Nukekubi" which is a female creature with human features that has a detachable head that can fly through the air. The Nukekubi are known to scream throughout the night as a means to frighten those around them. Misdreavus is also a screech Pokémon, leading many to believe that the mythological creature "The Banshee" is also a source for her character development.

ZAPDOS

ColdEmotionalIncatern-size_restricted.gif

Zapdos is a legendary Pokémon based on the Native American legend of the thunderbird. The spirit of thunder, lightning, and rain, thunderbirds were believed to be so powerful, that the sound of thunder was merely the sound of their wings flapping in the sky. Zapdos is an extremely large bird with electric powers, almost as if the creature is the true source of storms.

WHISCASH

tumblr_n8z16iTC471ttdkobo1_400.gif

Whiscash (whiskered catfish) is based on the Edo time-period Japanese legend of the Onamazu. This giant catfish was strong enough to trigger earthquakes. This legend has remained so vital to Japanese culture that even the Earthquake Early Warning signs in Japan depict a giant catfish as the symbol for "take cover, shit's about to go down."

FROSLASS

tumblr_nj9rmw9CSf1swx9ioo2_400.gif

Froslass's rounded features make her appear harmless, but her origins lie within the sinister legends of the Yukinko. Much like the sirens of Homer's Odyssey, the Yukinko are seductive women that lure men to their deaths. She entraps her victims with icy breath or by leading them into inescapable blizzards. The Yukinko are also known to kidnap children and consume the blood of their victims.

NINETALES

bf7.gif

This ghost-like fox with red eyes and nine tails finds its origins in the cat o' nine tails weapon often used in corporal punishments and the Japanese legend of the Kitsune. Kitsune are shape-shifting spirits able to disguise themselves as humans, or even inhabit a human host while growing a new tail every 100 years. Once the spirit has reached its ninth tail, it is said that they're red fur will shift to white and they will possess god-like qualities of infinite wisdom.

DROWZEE

FlippantUnlinedArawana-size_restricted.gif

this tapir looking monster is based on the Chinese & Japanese myth of the Baku, a creature that eats the bad dreams of sleeping people. According to legend, the creature was created with all of the leftover parts after the gods were done creating the rest of the animal kingdom. A Baku will come into the room of a sleeping child and devour a bad dream, ensuring a child will have a peaceful night's sleep. However, if a Baku is still hungry after eating a nightmare, he will continue to feed and eat the hopes and dreams of the child.

MAWILE

Dr3k.gif

This cute little creature may look harmless from the front, but the back of their head boasts a horrifying alligator-like creature ready to rip you to shreds. The Japanese have a folklore tale of a Futakuchi-onnna, or a woman with a second mouth hidden on her head. The legend tells of a farmer who loved how little his wife ate, but found his grain supply was strangely disappearing. One night, he discovers his wife sound asleep…with her hair acting like tendrils and feeding a second mouth on the back of her head.​

Pokemon descriptions by BJ Colangelo

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
All of these have such great inspirations but I think I like Froslass's take on the myth the best. The design is just the most unique I feel like.

Years
Froslass is one of my favorite Pokemon, partly because of its creepy lore, and because of the fact the way it acts is almost the complete opposite of how it looks.

Years
Froslass is terrifying, tbh.

... and now that I read it just now, Mawile's lore is terrifying, too!

Last edited:
Years
I never realized Drowzee is based on Baku... And I've used Baku in Yo-kai Watch for a while.

I loved Froslass and Mawile's respective Yokai legends since I've first heard of them years ago. But I think I'll still vote for Drowzee.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
Damn @ Froslass

But Ninetales is my favorite, however, it's a bummer that we've been shown any Ninetales under those conditions. It would be cool to see. Lol

Back