• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red/Blue Full Color Hack (RB remade for GBC)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm pretty sure he's doing fine, actually. He's probably just a bit caught up in real life, is all.

Thank you, Fotomac :nervous:
I have a lot of ambitious goals and life tends to always get in the way...

Hey OP, do you think you could import Gen 2 songs into this (Like the town themes, pokemon center, oaks theme)? I'd be so happy!

This has been requested before. When we (Sanqui and I - mostly Sanqui) ported Crystal's sound engine into Red, we did so on a clean version of Red.

This GBC version of Red has been so heavily modified that porting Crystal's sound engine is most definitely possible, but would require probably as much work as it originally took to do it the first time.

For this reason, it is currently only a dream for the future. I still hope to get around to it, but I am not presently making progress on it.
I apologize for the disappointment.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 3, 2019
This is amazing.
I wonder if there is a possibility of a release of Red Vanilla Color Hack + Yellow sprites. I don't like the Gen 2 battle animations, but I'd really like to have the ugly sprites replaced with the Yellow one.

Thanks a lot for the work.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
You intends to make a Yellow Color Hack as well? I know, Pok?mon Yellow was did to Game Boy Color and have natural colors, but this colors aren't vivid colors like the GSC ones, like this color hack patch mimic.

And has a chance to these hacks receive GSC Kanto themes?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey, everybody! It's been a while, but there's good news!
Drenn recently revisited this hack and gave it some much needed love and care!
He fixed up all of the known graphical glitches and did some other clean up.
I updated the first post to provide a link to his new v1.2

If you discover any glitches, please let myself or Drenn know! Thanks!

Also, instead of having 4 download links for all 4 different versions of the hack, now there's just one download link for a zip file containing all 4 ips patches.

Huge props goes to Drenn for polishing off this hack. Enjoy, everyone!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 2, 2017
Hope you guys enjoy. Feels good to finally get those bugs fixed. Like Danny said, please make loud noises if there are still bugs.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 29, 2017
Hi Drenn,hi Danny
I want to thank you guys for this amazing hack:)
Tell me Drenn,is it true that the new version have better AI for trainers? That would be great!!
Thanks again!!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 2, 2017
Hi Drenn,hi Danny
I want to thank you guys for this amazing hack:)
Tell me Drenn,is it true that the new version have better AI for trainers? That would be great!!
Thanks again!!

I dunno where you heard that, but my policy with this hack is to not change the gameplay at all. I'll leave that to anyone who wants to build off of it, like Red/Blue DX or Red++.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 29, 2017
I dunno where you heard that, but my policy with this hack is to not change the gameplay at all. I'll leave that to anyone who wants to build off of it, like Red/Blue DX or Red++.

Oh that's okay too,playing in full color with gen 2 graphics is more than good enough!
You and Danny really did a great job with this hack,which is now free of bugs!!(hopefully)
You really made my day{:3}
Farewell;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 15, 2020
I've been trying to patch this with a 151 hack, but I suck and it crashes :(

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I've been trying to patch this with a 151 hack, but I suck and it crashes :(

Very rarely can you successfully apply two different patches to the same rom.

The only time this would even have a chance of working is when both hacks are simple data mods.

This gbc hack is a huge engine-rewriting mod. So there's virtually no chance that the two patches will be compatible. You don't suck :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Maybe I'm late to the party, but is this compatible with trading between Gen 1 games and the time capsule in Gen 2? What about original GBC and GBA hardware?

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Maybe I'm late to the party, but is this compatible with trading between Gen 1 games and the time capsule in Gen 2? What about original GBC and GBA hardware?

I can't remember ever explicitly testing trading with original gen 1/2 but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. It should work just fine.
And I have tested this on real GBC/GBA hardware and it works perfectly fine

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey OP, do you think you could import Gen 2 songs into this (Like the town themes, pokemon center, oaks theme)? I'd be so happy!

This has been requested before. When we (Sanqui and I - mostly Sanqui) ported Crystal's sound engine into Red, we did so on a clean version of Red.

This GBC version of Red has been so heavily modified that porting Crystal's sound engine is most definitely possible, but would require probably as much work as it originally took to do it the first time.

For this reason, it is currently only a dream for the future. I still hope to get around to it, but I am not presently making progress on it.
I apologize for the disappointment.

I just realized I forgot to post about it here, but I finished adding gen 2 songs to the mod. I haven't made any ips patches for this yet, so you have to compile the game from source (it's really not that hard):
https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gbc/tree/crysaudio

The code with the gen 2 sound engine is on the crysaudio branch.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
Have no idea if this was asked before, but, could this hack also bring color to Pokemon Yellow? Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I've thrown heaps of praise on this hack before, and it's still wonderful in my eyes to this day. I did notice something odd about it lately, though. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but there's a problem with the sprite of Articuno that appears when you look through the left-side binoculars on Route 15. In the vanilla game, its sprite renders as expected:

mXgggL3.png

In the color hack, however, there's no color to speak of when the image gets called up in this manner. The only thing that's there is an outline. Both patches exhibit this issue. This sprite shows up fine in all other parts of the game.

hQ8RCSV.png
GA8S9ft.png

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Have no idea if this was asked before, but, could this hack also bring color to Pokemon Yellow? Keep up the great work!
It's definitely possible but it would be kind of a lot of work. I currently don't have the time to look into it.

I've thrown heaps of praise on this hack before, and it's still wonderful in my eyes to this day. I did notice something odd about it lately, though. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but there's a problem with the sprite of Articuno that appears when you look through the left-side binoculars on Route 15. In the vanilla game, its sprite renders as expected:

mXgggL3.png

In the color hack, however, there's no color to speak of when the image gets called up in this manner. The only thing that's there is an outline. Both patches exhibit this issue. This sprite shows up fine in all other parts of the game.

hQ8RCSV.png
GA8S9ft.png

Any ideas on what's going on here?
Nice catch! I'll look into fixing this soon!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 9, 2023
I'm noticing that this rom hack is being sold as cartridges on eBay. Would you recommend me getting one? Also, is it possible to trade with another player?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm noticing that this rom hack is being sold as cartridges on eBay. Would you recommend me getting one? Also, is it possible to trade with another player?

I've seen similar items for sale on eBay and other sites. I don't know anything about the production of those cartridges so I cannot recommend them.

Regarding trading, the version which uses the GSC sound engine/soundtrack cannot trade (attempting to trade will corrupt your save). (EDIT: This has been fixed since this comment was written!)
The version which uses the original sound engine/soundtrack can trade just fine.

EDIT:
To clarify, the official IPS download in the first post doesn't include the GSC sound engine version of this hack, so if you are referring to the official IPS download, then trading should definitely work.
If you want to try the version with the GSC sound engine, you can build from source here: https://github.com/dannye/pokered-gbc/tree/crysaudio
Just be aware that trading in that version does not work. (Edit: As of 2021, link trading works again in the crysaudio version of this hack)

Last edited:
Back