• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What themes should my collection follow?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 25, 2019
Hey everyone! I recently started collecting Pokemon cards again and it's been great! I decided I wanted to collect the National Dex and each Regional Dex. To make it more fun and interesting, I wanted to set a theme between each Dex. Currently my Kanto Dex will only feature English cards in Base Set, Jungle, and Fossil. And my Johto Dex contains sets up to Neo Destiny in only Japanese. I'm learning quite a bit by binging through a bunch of pack opening content on youtube. But I still know very little overall. Currently my National Dex is just what I come across and upgrade to holos and GXs+ when I can.

I haven't decided on what themes my other Regional Dex's should follow. Any suggestions?

I have thought of all Reverse Holos, and another of only normal Holos maybe? I can't imagine there are many EX/GX cards for basic or middle stage Pokemon, so I don't know if a Full Art Dex is doable. I recently found there are Shiny pokemon in the cards too! But I'm learning that there aren't many of those. And this is why I ask, because there's so much I don't know what is possible and what isn't. Help? :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
As a collector, I've always relied on the number at the bottom of the card. For every set, I start at card one, put it in its own sleeve, and place it in a binder. If it has a reverse holo, that goes to the right on of non holo card since they have the same printed number. If I'm missing cards, I leave a space open in the binder for it so I always know which number I'm missing. This also should include all Reverse Holos, sice they are a fundamental part of a complete set. If you can't find a specific card from a booster box, it's best to turn to one of the many TCG selling sites and buy them as singles. It's a little pricey, but again if you're going for 100% completion than it's worth it.

If you're going for a National Dex set up, regardless of set, promos, or release date... well you've got a lot of work ahead of you. Best us luck, friend.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 25, 2019
Hey I appreciate the response!

Yes! I used to collect base set by Collector's Number all those years ago! I love having empty spaces in my binder and filling it out as I acquire more cards I needed. I am heavily invested into Magic: the Gathering for the past 10 years, so I'm very familiar with handling cards and the resources available to me online for purchase. Suggestions I'm looking for is more for the stuff I know little about in Pokemon TCG history. Sorry that wasn't clear!

Oh yes! Pokedex set up ignores sets and those typical restrictions you have with Collector's Number Set Collecting. And that along with the fact that I usually don't care for Trainer Cards, makes it a much more interesting goal for my personal tastes! Additionally, I love the idea of having cards in other interesting orders, such as the Regional Dex's! I would love to have a Hoenn Dex that's only normal holos! But I don't know if I would be able to get something like a Nincada in normal holo. Since that's usually just a common. But maybe it could be a promo! I don't know! And that's why I ask here. I know a Reverse Holo Dex is doable since there's basically a Reverse Holo version of every card in Legendary Collection and up. I would like to know what else I might have available to me to try and accomplish. I probably will have to grind the research work myself to find patterns in bringing cards together in a cohesive theme. It's a lot of work, but I love how interesting this take on Dex Collecting is!

Years
Well, if you want "normal holo" for some common Pokemon, for a time the alternate holo for a lot of the ex era sets had their "reverse holos" as having a holo art box with the set promotional material logo in the art box.

Also, Full Art trainers may change your mind on trainers a bit. Quite frankly they're the cards I look forward to most in sets these days, especially the ones based around human characters from the franchise.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 25, 2019
Oh that's great to know! I was wondering about that in some pack opening content I've been watching where they would say "Reverse -insert card name-" and I would be very confused seeing what appears to be a normal holo. This is very helpful! Thank you!

I have opened a Ultra Rare Diantha a couple weeks ago, you're right in that it I did like it more than other Trainers. Though I would say I still would rather collect the Dexs for the time being. Now later I might be interested in collecting a Full Art Character Trainer set. Maybe organizing the characters by Gen, sounds fun!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Just know that if you collect based on the cards and how they were released, you'll be collecting trainers and energies as well. If you're doing just a National dex, or even just a holo-only collection, I still recommend sorting them by release date! There's lots of different sets released in between each "gen" of main series Pokemon games.

Back