• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokemon STRIKE! Yellow Version [BETA 0.5 W.I.P. - BETA 0.4 Available]

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
Years
Hey, this is great!

I've been waiting for a Yellow hack for a while and I'm glad somebody made it. I know the thread is a couple months old and I'm surprised that I didn't notice it until now.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Thanks for the feedback! Well, I'm still a beginner at romhacking. The main reason I doubt I could do such things is due to the fact I'm working with Yellow, which means that there's no really documentation anywhere. I'm using Pokered disassembly as a guide but for god's sake it's different I swear xD Many times I'm having difficulty editing stuff to my hack but thankfully I'm doing well so far. I'll let you know if I manage to do something more.

Yup!!!! I do understand!! Its really hard work you putting in there... good luck amigo! :D

Years
Yup!!!! I do understand!! Its really hard work you putting in there... good luck amigo! :D
Thanks you very much! :) Sorry for the late reply. Btw, I managed to improove some back sprites, specially those which are just lame xD About your other request, I hope I will be able to do so in the future, meanwhile enjoy the currect release!
I understand this is a competitive hack for Yellow. Will you release the edited stats/movepools for all the pokemon you edited?
This is actually an excellent idea! I will do so asap in this week :)
_____________________________________________________​

To skip double-posting, I just share the updating video:
Video description (on YouTube):
"A couple of things I forgot to mention:
- A few new signature moves for some Pokemon (Check README).
- ROUTE 12-13-14-15 trainer's party pokemon levels have been increased from +30~39 to +40~45 (depending of the number of pokemon in the party) due to being before relatively easy to beat after winning against Erika. Thus, the player gets more experience to face Koga.
- Removed the water tile at ROUTE 18. Now the player can go fight with Cycling Road trainers before facing Koga.
- The trainer relocations at some routes wasn't that easy because ClassicMap only works with R/B version. So, I had to do the modifications with a hex editor. I hope you appreciate my effort.
- Many fishing areas has low pokemon encounters. I've made this on purpose in the way the player can obtain the biggest number of EV (Stat Exp) training.
- Some grinding areas have been stated into the README file.
- On YouTube, check always the "Activity" section for eventually reported bugs and fixes (from me) for this recent release of the game.
- For everything else, again, be sure to check carefully README, PLS.txt."

I'm done for today. I'll update the main thread here ASAP.

Best regards.

Reactions: Del
Years
Thanks for doing that. I wanted to pikasav pokemon for competitive battles but couldn't because I wouldn't know if a moveset was legal. Are moves such as volt tackle that were added to READMEpls.txt added on in a new patch or were they always there?

Years
Thanks for doing that. I wanted to pikasav pokemon for competitive battles but couldn't because I wouldn't know if a moveset was legal. Are moves such as volt tackle that were added to READMEpls.txt added on in a new patch or were they always there?
Yes, man. I should have stated this in the previous post: THE DOWNLOAD LINK IS UPDATED.

Also, for pikasav usage I highly recommend to put pokemon at level 99, then level up with a rare candy. This should refresh the pokemon with its increased stats since pikasav has a cap with the official values.

EDIT:
Also I was grinding in the water south of pallet town and I found a lv 56 Geodude.
This issue has been fixed right off the bat :D

Last edited:
Years
Also I was grinding in the water south of pallet town and I found a lv 56 Geodude.
Edit: Gonna challenge the Elite 4. I'm gonna be surprised if Lorelei doesn't have an Articuno.
Edit: Was not dissappointed. I grinded until my monsters were at level 100 and swept Lorelei easily.
Edit: Swept Bruno too.
Edit: Beat the entire Elite 4 and Gary. Gonna try to catch all the Pokemon now. Where do I find Mew?
Also here's my team that I used to beat the game:
Spoiler:

Edit: nvm Caught a Mew.

Last edited:
Years
Edit: Gonna challenge the Elite 4. I'm gonna be surprised if Lorelei doesn't have an Articuno.
Edit: Was not dissappointed. I grinded until my monsters were at level 100 and swept Lorelei easily.
Edit: Swept Bruno too.
Edit: Beat the entire Elite 4 and Gary. Gonna try to catch all the Pokemon now. Where do I find Mew?
Also here's my team that I used to beat the game:
Spoiler:

Edit: nvm Caught a Mew.
Wow man, that was a very fast run, congrats :) overall, how did you find the hack?

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I had actually played yellow before actually getting the original red version back in the day, and I always found a preference for Yellow to Red/Blue especially since in Red/Blue charizard didn't so much as learn Wing Attack since it couldn't use Fly in the original games, and Fly would be the only flying type move it could get in Yellow as well which back in the day used to force me to make a somewhat weaker team just so I could have someone who could use Fly to travel quikly, as I had to have two flying types on a team whenever I went with Charmander at the start. The G/S/C games moved in the right direction giving it Wing Attack if evolved at 36 and ever since then Charizard always got a new flying move with each generation to gamefreak's credit. Flying may have poor offensive use but it offers amazing coverage, and since the 4th gen phys/special split allowed charizard to really perform well despite it's glaring weaknesses.

Similarly allowing Fire Punch as a level up move for Charmander was well played, it always needed something a little stronger to use between Ember and Flamethrower. And given how the wrap-type moves worked originally I always found it odd how Fire Spin has always been the last move on every move list for any fire type that used it for so long, Game Freak should have thought about putting Fire Spin at an earlier level due to the level difference between Ember to Flamethrower. Your use of Fire Punch answers that problem nicely.

Because of that and other things it's great to see a hack take such a step up from the original like this (one of the reasons I love Ash Gray since Metapod tries to replicate the anime movesets, and to some regard this game does the same due to how Yellow was based on the anime as well), though the difficuty curve is my main beef. I appreciate a challenge but due to some features I've no clue where to find a specific item anymore. Heck where I am right now I should have HM05 for Flash as I'm at Rock Tunnel, however the guard house originally used as the meeting spot to get HM05 is no longer there. The closest thing I can find was a house blocked off by a patch of water in the same general area and that can't be passed without Surf...Are we supposed to go through Rock Tunnel without Flash? Because with the amount of new moves every pokemon has from both TMs as well as their new level up sets, on top of new base stats, that really seems insane.

Years
Wow man, that was a very fast run, congrats :) overall, how did you find the hack?
It was fun, especially the difficulty. I'll probably start having competitive battles with it once I complete the pokedex and you upload the edited movesets (I'd be willing to help with this if you'd show me how to look at a Pokemon's moveset, as I can't find a tool for it anywhere). Also a shoutout to those who will play the hack in the future: do not use Beedrill in your team. It's incredibly hard to level him up. That is all.

nemesish

Azure Trainer
Years
Finally played the update and I'm loving the new sprites, but personally I would have changed the Alakazam and Gyrarados ones to the R/B ones (Those were menacing as hell.)

A question: At which level does Pikachu/Raichu learn Volt Tackle? Just to know if I have to Pokesav it or not.(Mine is at Lv80)

Years
I had actually played yellow before actually getting the original red version back in the day, and I always found a preference for Yellow to Red/Blue especially since in Red/Blue charizard didn't so much as learn Wing Attack since it couldn't use Fly in the original games, and Fly would be the only flying type move it could get in Yellow as well which back in the day used to force me to make a somewhat weaker team just so I could have someone who could use Fly to travel quikly, as I had to have two flying types on a team whenever I went with Charmander at the start. The G/S/C games moved in the right direction giving it Wing Attack if evolved at 36 and ever since then Charizard always got a new flying move with each generation to gamefreak's credit. Flying may have poor offensive use but it offers amazing coverage, and since the 4th gen phys/special split allowed charizard to really perform well despite it's glaring weaknesses.

Similarly allowing Fire Punch as a level up move for Charmander was well played, it always needed something a little stronger to use between Ember and Flamethrower. And given how the wrap-type moves worked originally I always found it odd how Fire Spin has always been the last move on every move list for any fire type that used it for so long, Game Freak should have thought about putting Fire Spin at an earlier level due to the level difference between Ember to Flamethrower. Your use of Fire Punch answers that problem nicely.

Because of that and other things it's great to see a hack take such a step up from the original like this (one of the reasons I love Ash Gray since Metapod tries to replicate the anime movesets, and to some regard this game does the same due to how Yellow was based on the anime as well), though the difficuty curve is my main beef. I appreciate a challenge but due to some features I've no clue where to find a specific item anymore. Heck where I am right now I should have HM05 for Flash as I'm at Rock Tunnel, however the guard house originally used as the meeting spot to get HM05 is no longer there. The closest thing I can find was a house blocked off by a patch of water in the same general area and that can't be passed without Surf...Are we supposed to go through Rock Tunnel without Flash? Because with the amount of new moves every pokemon has from both TMs as well as their new level up sets, on top of new base stats, that really seems insane.
I decided to hack Pokemon Yellow for the your same reasons (even if other Hackers have told me to don't do so, because Yellow isn't easy to hack like Red/Blue). I played Red first, but the fact to obtain the three starters in a game just gave so hapiness. It helped me a lot to complete the Pokedex with my GSC versions :)

About HM05, it is intended to be obtained after the player gets SURF because Flash is so so useless ingame. I've changed this with a slight improovement of Flash's mechanics. However, I'm taking a bit of time to post the fixed release because I'm very loaded with real life stuff for now. Also, I'm planning to make two different "versions" of the same hack. Everybody will see soon. If you are interested to get the hack anyways, you can ask for it via PM, since the download links will be disabled (on YouTube as well) until I upload the final release. Yeah, as you read, it's time to move ahead with another hack :)

What level does Kadabra evolve at? Mine's at lv 50 and isn't evolving...
Train a little bit more man :) 5 levels and your Alakazam will be ready to battle.

=================================== o ===================================​

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: All the download links will be disabled due to the development of a final release of the hack. The current link was containing an inconsistency with an enemy Golbat having Fire+Comet Punch on its moveset as many other missing features. This little thing has been fixed as some other minor features are being implemented. Said changes will be stated in the main thread and into the README file. After the release of the final version of the game, I'll release something like an "alternative version" of the same hackrom, which I hope to release before April. Don't get me wrong, it won't be an April's Fool Day hackrom (even if the idea is pretty cool, but no) because it would be taking too much time from me and time is an element I appreciate too much to be spent like that (I'm not having much free time right now, to be clear).

For more info and clearances of the current (disabled) release of the game, feel free to keep leaving comments and/or sending any questions via VM or PM. I'll reply all of them ASAP. And last but not least, thanks for those almost 1000 downloads of the current release of the game. I hope you enjoyed it.

Best regards.

Drake.

P.S: Sorry for the sucky english grammar but I'm very hurry right now :)

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
You should add more Fighting type moves in this hack. The strongest Fighting type moves in RBY are Hi Jump Kick and Submission, which both are 85 and 80 power respectively, and have nasty side effects for the user. I'd like to see some better moves like Cross Chop or DynamicPunch.

Years
You should add more Fighting type moves in this hack. The strongest Fighting type moves in RBY are Hi Jump Kick and Submission, which both are 85 and 80 power respectively, and have nasty side effects for the user. I'd like to see some better moves like Cross Chop or DynamicPunch.
Both High Jump Kick and Submission have been edited to have higher power and Karate Chop is now fighting type and effectively has 100 base power(Which I do think should be increased because even Slash has 70BP without a crit) due to how critical hit mechanics work.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I decided to hack Pokemon Yellow for the your same reasons (even if other Hackers have told me to don't do so, because Yellow isn't easy to hack like Red/Blue). I played Red first, but the fact to obtain the three starters in a game just gave so hapiness. It helped me a lot to complete the Pokedex with my GSC versions :)

About HM05, it is intended to be obtained after the player gets SURF because Flash is so so useless ingame. I've changed this with a slight improovement of Flash's mechanics. However, I'm taking a bit of time to post the fixed release because I'm very loaded with real life stuff for now. Also, I'm planning to make two different "versions" of the same hack. Everybody will see soon. If you are interested to get the hack anyways, you can ask for it via PM, since the download links will be disabled (on YouTube as well) until I upload the final release. Yeah, as you read, it's time to move ahead with another hack :)

Yeah go ahead and send me that download, I had my internet off for a few days so I don't want to end up missing it because of an overdue bill.

yuki3056

Grass Types own
Years
I saw that you said a final version is going to be released in April, does this mean the current version is not complete? I was under the impression it was from the original post. I have started a series on this game on Youtube and just was wondering if I will be able to complete the Pokedex which is my main concern.

Years
I saw that you said a final version is going to be released in April, does this mean the current version is not complete? I was under the impression it was from the original post. I have started a series on this game on Youtube and just was wondering if I will be able to complete the Pokedex which is my main concern.
You are able to. I'm at 106 out of 151. Mew can be caught in the Main Safari Zone Area but good luck catching it.

Years
Some Normal-type moves have been changed to Fighting and changed many move mechanics as well, like Submission, as example. It has now a neat 100 Base Power with no recoil damage. Some non Fighting-type mons weak to Rock-type can benefit a lot from this change.

The final version should have been release the last week, but I keep being busy and I'm finishing it step by step when I have some time. It will be released some time soon in this month, though. About the alternative version, for the same reasons stated before, I think it will be released some time in this year.

=================================== o ===================================​

For anyone who's interested to support my hackrom, here's the banner. Thanks.

picture.php

ItWasABadDream

Genwunner / born 1989
Years
This hack is AWESOME. I've played a lot of Gen 1 hack games (bona fide genwunner; I've been playing Gen 1 since 1998), but this game goes above and beyond all of them. This is exactly what I've been looking for in a Gen 1 rom hack. Drake, I cannot thank you enough. You've managed to hack my favorite Pokemon game of all time, and it's a complete hack nonetheless! It's not a half-assed, half-completed Yellow hack like most of the rest. I will have a hard time ever going back to playing any other first generation game or rom hack after having played Strike! Yellow. There's basically no reason for me to ever play Yellow again, or any other Gen 1 game for that matter. Everything I've wanted changed about it has been changed (more Dragon/Ghost/Bug type moves, map changes that actually make sense, increased difficulty, etc.) and now the difficulty the game deserves is there. This is by far the most comprehensive first generation rom hack I've ever played or seen and it fully deserves more recognition. I can tell you've put a massive amount of thought and effort into this. How long did it take you to complete this?!

I really appreciate you making this hack for us, Drake. I cannot say thank you enough. I mean, I pretty much have no reason to play any other Pokemon game anymore. In my opinion, you've created the perfect Pokemon game.

If you're reading this and you're not sure whether or not you should download and play Strike! Yellow... DO IT! This hack is a 10/10 for me.

About the only thing I can even complain about (and it's a very mild complaint at that), is maybe Charizard is a little OP now... but that's okay. He can still be defeated. The added difficulty is something I enjoy.

Edit: I also just thought of this... There are a lot of Golems throughout the game during various trainer battles. Perhaps some of them could be replaced with Rhydons at some point?

Last edited:
Back