• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Still Worth Playing To A Newbie?

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Wow, people actually say that?

Of course as it is early in the series, there are going to be some bugs and glitches, but these games are absolutely worth playing.

Every game has bugs and glitches, and I agree that it's not a very good excuse. But excluding nostalgia or mere curiosity, I really don't see the point in starting with these when FireRed/LeafGreen exist (I wouldn't say the same for Gold/Silver and their remakes though).

And I started with Pokémon Red back in the '90s.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
Very much worth playing in my opinion. You could do the originals or FireRed and LeafGreen. Yellow is a pretty cool and unique version in itself too although it's very over-powered with the Pokemon you can get ha.

Boured

The Guildmaster
Years
Yes I would because just because it was buggy crap now does not mean it was back then it is awesome to play the originals it's like looking at history of how far pokemon has come

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
I think everyone who has an opportunity should play a Kanto game, just to get an appreciation of Pokemon's history and how far the series has come. I personally can't stand the true originals because they're so buggy and broken and slow, so I'd recommend FireRed and LeafGreen instead.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
I basically grew up with a GBA and Pokemon Red by my side, I prefer it over X or Y or Black 2 or whatever.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 1, 2014
i recently reset my Pokemon Yellow to start it over again.
I want to try the glitchs on it xD

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
Years
I grew up with the 3rd and 4th generations of Pokemon (I'm fairly young) but i do think that to truly appreciate the series and it's progress you should have a chance to play the originals. Plus I just think they're fun.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 12, 2017
Simple answer. Yes! Ofcourse they're buggy. Come on, the Missigno. glitch, even the Mew trick. But that doesn't mean that they suck. Sometimes I even pop Pokémon Stadium in the N64 and play with my team from way back. Love them, never stop loving them! :)

Years
I would recommend to a newer fan to be *aware* Yellow is much like the early anime, play Red OR Blue because of that Cinnabar exploit and Missingno., Gold or Silver for cloning.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
No. You don't have to play RBY. I never played Red or Blue and the farthest I ever got on Yellow was past Brock's gym because the game kept freezing :( Just play something never tbh. They are all made for newbies in a sense. You won't be lost if you start anywhere else.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I grew up with those games so of course I'm going to hold a bias towards saying yes you should play them. The sprites aren't that great and they are really buggy, but you should still play them. You should play all the games regardless. I still like playing my Red version when I go on road trips even though I have the remakes and everything. It just feels good.

Back