• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Liking characters with not-so-likable traits

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
I think the answer that everyone thinks of is Walter White. Douchebag, check. Selfish, check. Arrogant, check. But do we love him? Check

Years
Game of Thrones is full of these characters. The Lannisters as a whole, I don't really think you're supposed to like... But I absolutely love Jaime and Tywin. I really like Tyrion, too, but he doesn't really flex his villainous muscles throughout the series.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I think the answer that everyone thinks of is Walter White. Douchebag, check. Selfish, check. Arrogant, check. But do we love him? Check

Haha, I was just thinking of someone from Breaking Bad. But not Walt - he annoys me.

I like Todd a lot more than I should I reckon; he's cold and heartless and whatnot but it's really rare that there's someone who just gets a job done while retaining some sort of character in a show and I think he kinda nails it. So I actually quite like the guy... despite the whole killing kids and whatnot. >_>

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Basically everyone in A Clockwork Orange.

I actually never liked Walter White. I found his character too..."I'm just going to win everything and be fine, we all know I'll die in the end". My favourite character in Game of Thrones (which also happens to be my favourite TV show) is Jaime Lannister. And we all know we're meant to hate them.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
David and Micheal from The Office, first being the UK version and the second US. Both are always obnoxious with their staff, generally unintentionally rude in their own ways and just plain hopeless in their jobs, but you just can't hate them. My two favourite characters from any sitcom.

Wazee Wynkoop

New Start!
Years
I'd say the Joker for me. He's an insane serial killer who manipulates, tortures and murders people for entertainment. And he has a chronic obsession with Batman.
But I found his not-caring attitude and engaging dialogues to be subtly charismatic. I'd want this guy dead IRL, but in comics I can't wait to see how he puts Batman and Gordon through the ringer next.

Poki

Banned
Years
Eric Cartman from South Park. He's a fat, foul-mouth, racist child w/ evil intentions, yet he's somehow enjoyable to watch because of it. You just can't wait what evil scheme he has in store. It also makes me wonder if such an evil child like Cartman does exist irl.

Cartman is my inspiration.

Years
For anyone that saw the movie (/masterpiece) Warrior. I was rooting for Tommy Riordan (Tom Hardy).

For some reason I'll root for the underdog or the antihero. A few example's I agree with that I read here are, The Joker, Charlie Sheen, Hannibal, Gary Oak, ..

Years
This is bringing up some fresh feels. :P

One book series that I love is Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, and my favorite character is quite possibly one of the most sinister. Magnus is quite awful at times, but I can't not love him because he's constantly struggling to find and do the right thing, whatever that means to him. I think that's why I love his character so much. He also reminds me a lot of Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender, who probably falls under this category, too.

Years
Oh man there are so many characters with terrible traits that I love. I think many of them are designed for you to love their terribleness, and if so the writers do a great job! Some are Azula from Avatar the last Airbender, Helena from Orphan Black, basically everyone on Game of Thrones is terrible but I love them (like Joffrey who's the worst but moments with him are so great), Dr. Kelso (and D. Cox to an extent) on Scrubs, Sylar and Jessica from Heroes (only the first season though as that was the only good one), and Alice, T, Buck, Gimme, Shoshana, and Chicken from United States of Tara (not sure if they qualify as villains, but they do ruin Tara's life). I'm probably forgetting some others but those are some core favorites.

Years
I have a bizarre love for over-dramatic, emo characters, like Mewtwo in the movie, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Cloud from FFVII during his more self-indulgent moments. I feel so bad for them, unlike characters who face difficulties and shrug them off, where it's just like, "Oh, you're okay and don't need my attention? Well, then you won't get any."

The Scrappy
God, you are such a Troper it's not even funny.

Back