• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I believe that he is pleading not guilty to avoid serving time for his horrific act. Hope that this doesn't result in a reduced sentence. I would be glad if we knew that he could never be free again to hurt any more people.

See, this is the problem.. So our solution is to what, incarcerate?
How about we institutionalize him and study his thought patterns and what does and doesn't trigger him cause it's obvious he's mentally ill if he murdered a bunch of people. Try to find if there's any psychological links to all the shooters and find ways to prevent it than to ignore it altogether. Putting a mass murderer in prison doesn't do a thing.
Putting all the shooters in one basket and studying them, will help find solutions to the problems.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Your posts are becoming more and more silly.

Of course peoples mental health is investigated during trial (hell, the defence will probably push that he is mentally unwell). But it will be decided based on the evidence given, rather than your blanket statement that anyone who commits murder must be mentally unwell. Stop excusing this foul act.

Years
Still as ignorant on gun violence and America as always.. Here's the real problem... How many homeless people, starving children, doped out fiends in the streets, soldiers in war, gotta die while they make profit, before people realize this is a problem with the system? Or the fact all the shooters are/were mentally ill or a majority of gun violence is in poverty stricken areas, thanks to the system keeping them suppressed and classified in the poverty line. Or are you not familiar with how America really is and it's problems that are way more concerning than guns and stripping of "freedom"? Not sure why I asked cause the answers blatant.

As I said, it starts with focusing on mental illness and poverty.. Do those 2 things.. The gun violence will drop drastically. But this would never happen cause we're stuck arguing black and white debatesS
As for owning a gun being wrong... Wouldn't one say abortion is wrong? But I'm sure you find abortion 100% okay.. I don't agree with it, but it's a FREEDOM.
Guns aren't the PROBLEM. The SYSTEM is the PROBLEM.

To DISTRACT, DECEIVE, AND DIVIDE is how they control a nation.

Sure, I guess America better solve all of it's problems NOW and not leave them for future generations. That said, mental people having easy to access to guns is the problem here, alongside prejudice towards people not of their own 'stock'. As for Abortion, my point is that let it be available to those who need it. It's not like anyone's forcing you to undergo the procedure or anything...

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Sure, I guess America better solve all of it's problems NOW and not leave them for future generations. That said, mental people having easy to access to guns is the problem here, alongside prejudice towards people not of their own 'stock'. As for Abortion, my point is that let it be available to those who need it. It's not like anyone's forcing you to undergo the procedure or anything...

And leaving it up to the powers that be to solve our problems will lead to more problems. I mean, isn't that how all these problems came to be in the first place? See how me being a "conspiracy theorist" is wrong? I just know what's going on is all. To leave it up to a specific side to solve the problems, will lead to more dividing and corruption. To fix these problems we need to unite as one and compromise.

So you do agree mental illness is the problem? As do I... I agree, they have too easy access to firearms.. But didn't I also state I believe in stricter testings? I don't think you fully understand my position on gun violence and gun rights.
I have a problem with mentally ill committing mass murder as well as criminals killing eachother over money and turf cause it's a survival tactic in those areas. But I also have a problem with removing a FREEDOM. I'm all for revising that freedom, as long as it doesn't infringe law abiding citizens whom are mentally stable and aware of gun safety to obtain a firearm because the system's not doing their job.

Again, the SYSTEM is to BLAME for the CORRUPTION and CHAOS of the WORLD. Who else would of thought their priorities are ass backwards? Trust me, breaking their shackles and chains is a huge weight off your body.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I believe that he is pleading not guilty to avoid serving time for his horrific act. Hope that this doesn't result in a reduced sentence. I would be glad if we knew that he could never be free again to hurt any more people.
I'm not an expert on US criminal law, but as far as I know, pleading guilty is what can potentially reduces one's sentence, while pleading not guilty does not potentially reduce the sentence.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm not an expert on US criminal law, but as far as I know, pleading guilty is what can potentially reduces one's sentence, while pleading not guilty does not potentially reduce the sentence.

As someone who's been in the system for years (not anymore). Pleading non guilty to a crime they know you committed in hopes to reduce your sentence is testifying that you're "lying" in court in result extending the sentence. I've saw it happen time and time again. Tho mine wasn't for any capital crimes just petty felony charges which usually resulted in probation or jail time.. I'd assume capital crimes would be taken even more seriously.. People think they can "play" the system. They have control whether you like it or not.. I wouldn't recommend trying to deceive them as they're the "deceivers". They know all the tricks and will execute their powers just to make an example of you.

Last edited:

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
This is one of those things that won't ever stop. Hell, even if you took away all the guns people will still find a way to go on their killing sprees and this is something humans have been doing since before guns even existed and even in ways far worse then just being shot. Rather be shot then shoved into an iron maiden any day. There's always going to be those whom are intent on doing harm and they will find a way to do so.

Years
This is one of those things that won't ever stop. Hell, even if you took away all the guns people will still find a way to go on their killing sprees and this is something humans have been doing since before guns even existed and even in ways far worse then just being shot. Rather be shot then shoved into an iron maiden any day. There's always going to be those whom are intent on doing harm and they will find a way to do so.

True. But if you look at Europe and see how we fare over here, I suppose USA might have something to learn from us...

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
True. But if you look at Europe and see how we fare over here, I suppose USA might have something to learn from us...

much like the us it depends upon which part of europe your talking about. some places are better the others, some are worse then others.
guns didn't really become as big of an issue until the rise of kids getting their parents guns and people going on shooting sprees started happening. even then, the bigger problems always deal more with the people then the product. kids only got a hold of guns cause their parents where not responsible parents and shooting sprees are almost always done by someone who is controlled by their emotions.

Years
much like the us it depends upon which part of europe your talking about. some places are better the others, some are worse then others.
guns didn't really become as big of an issue until the rise of kids getting their parents guns and people going on shooting sprees started happening. even then, the bigger problems always deal more with the people then the product. kids only got a hold of guns cause their parents where not responsible parents and shooting sprees are almost always done by someone who is controlled by their emotions.

True, hence the repeated calls of mental health checks instead of tackling the root of the problem at hand.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
@ShinyUmbreon

My post was more about the fact that Fox news have perpetuated the conspiracy theory that Jewish people (particularly George Soros) are behind everything and controlling America. Which, as far as I'm aware, is the same thing that this murderer committed these awful acts over.

Nothing to do with whatever excuse your post was about. :c

I don't know what shows you watch but I've never seen Fox News say anything about Jewish people are "behind everything and control America". Soros comes up as a funder of various leftist causes because he DOES fund them. Usually its a counter point to "well the evil NRA donates millions to gun rights and that much money is just wrong."

It starts with requiring stricter mental testings.. Maybe don't just do all the testings in a day cause one can easily cover up their illness.. Put a longer hold on getting a gun instead of just giving it to people that day when they buy? Ya know, actually take the muk seriously. If one has a history of mental illness in general it should be noted and taken more seriously. Focusing on mental illness will do more good than focusing on guns...
Mental health testing won't do more than add an additional cost and delay to Right. They can't predict future behavior and who would sign off on clearing a person. If you are wrong one way, you get sued by the victims of a future shooting. If you are wrong the other way, you get sued by the civilian wrongly denied his constitutional rights.

Even if you repeal the 2nd Amendment, the guns still exist in the USA. Removing the law doesn't magically change anything. You would need to enforce the law, which would mean taking the guns away from people. And that won't end well. So come up with a better solution than, "Oh, why doesn't America just repeal the 2nd Amendment?!" Everytime a shooting happens in the USA, you always come running and posting this comment over and over again.
Guy in Maryland died when a relative filed a "red flag" complaint on him and cops came to take his gun. He didn't want to give it up and the cops shot him. Other relatives said he was harmless and it shouldn't have ended that way.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/for_the_record/bs-md-aa-shooting-20181105-story.html

It is honestly starting to turn into an Onion article: "Local Finland man suggests amending the US Constitution. Americans are stunned that no one in history has suggested amending it."
Hah!

Guns aren't the problem. Guns are the symptom. The cause of the violence is what is leading to the shootings in the first place. What the USA needs to do is have a Federal Program that all States must follow, which will help curb the violence. For example, you have people afraid of Jews and Black people, and their fear may translate into violence against them. You have Incels who are insecurity, and they lash out against women.
If guns were the problem, there'd be lots more shootings every year and all over the country. Please elaborate on this "Federal Program."

Furthermore, half of all gun violences are suicides, so the USA should put programs in place to help curb suicides. Bullying can lead to teens in the USA committing suicide, and transgender people are being bullied for being trans.
It's 2/3rds, not half.

I also like that anyone required to own a gun, should be required to take a State training lesson to ensure they know how to properly use, maintain, and store a firearm.
Required, no. Encouraged yes. Once you make it "required" you give anti gun people in the government the ability to add more requirements.

Finally, I think a better exchange of information from all levels of Government will help too.
This definitely needs to happen.

Back