The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Help
Other Leon's Ultimate Fire Red Base - Issue with Expanding the Number of Pokemon

ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Old October 1st, 2018 (10:16 AM). Edited October 4th, 2018 by Project Sonizard.

Hey guys. I am a total newbie at hacking so I've encountered a pretty serious bug with the rom hack I am working on. Currently, I am using Leon's Ultimate Fire Red Base since I thought it would be a good jumping off point. I wanted to add all the current pokemon, however, and I successfully did with the help of some PokeCommunity members on the discord. However, while testing to make sure the pokemon were working correctly, I noticed that the game crashes or resets whenever you win a battle.

So for instance, the game freezes when you beat Gary for the first time in Pallet Town, but is fine if you lose the match. If you beat a wild Pokemon, the game resets itself back to the title screen after the battle. For reference, I used Pokemon Game Editor to expand the pokemon memory to 1050 pokemon and 950 pokedex entries and also import all the new pokemon and double the ROM's total memory.

I did a little more testing on my own, and I found that the crash occurs when I just expand the total number of pokemon in the game, not when I add the new pokemon. It doesn't matter how many Pokemon or dex entries I add, it always crashes. On top of that, it works fine if I expand the number of pokemon on a regular Fire Red ROM.

Therefore I think it has something to do with where the data is writing to. The problem is I haven't the first clue with how to fix that. Is it an issue with the base offset I've been using in PGE? I've just stuck with the default with all my roms, 0203C0C8, because I don't know what it means or what to change it to. I tried turning off JPAN's Save Block Recycler which it wants me to install, but I still have the same problem.

If anyone knows about this bug and how to fix it, please let me know. If not, is there a something I should look into that could help me fix this issue?

I also feel like I am going to have a lot of problems like this in the future. Is there a good place for me to be asking these questions pretty frequently?

Thanks in advanced for any help you guys can give me!
    Old October 2nd, 2018 (11:54 AM).
    Just let it happen.

Nature: Calm
      Leon himself said the new evolution methods break Pokemon expansion. He said Pokemon expansion might work properly if the Pokemon are expanded first, then the new evolution methods are inserted. He said it "might" work. That's why he wants people to try it out.
      Old October 2nd, 2018 (1:36 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Doctor Breeb View Post
        Leon himself said the new evolution methods break Pokemon expansion. He said Pokemon expansion might work properly if the Pokemon are expanded first, then the new evolution methods are inserted. He said it "might" work. That's why he wants people to try it out.
        I am not expanding the evolutions though, I am just expanding the number of pokemon in the game. I double checked the original post, and he makes it sound like its no problem to do, but it just breaks my game.
        Old October 2nd, 2018 (2:41 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Project Sonizard View Post
        I am not expanding the evolutions though, I am just expanding the number of pokemon in the game. I double checked the original post, and he makes it sound like its no problem to do, but it just breaks my game.
        Did you check to see if an older version of his base supports expanded mons?
        Old October 2nd, 2018 (3:54 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Petuuuhhh View Post
          Did you check to see if an older version of his base supports expanded mons?
          Yeah it should, there's no mention of expanded pokemon being a problem. And I even see other people saying it works in the thread replies! There must be something I am missing when expanding the pokemon. Are there any good tutorials on expanding the pokemon/memory in a ROM?
          Old October 2nd, 2018 (4:39 PM).

Quote:
          Yeah it should, there's no mention of expanded pokemon being a problem. And I even see other people saying it works in the thread replies! There must be something I am missing when expanding the pokemon. Are there any good tutorials on expanding the pokemon/memory in a ROM?
          PGE should do the trick.
          Old October 2nd, 2018 (5:05 PM).

Quote:
            PGE should do the trick.
            I'm using PGE. It expands the pokemon memory just fine, but the game crashes or resets itself whenever I win a trainer battle.

What I am saying is that either PGE is corrupting my ROM or I am not using the right options in it.
            Old October 2nd, 2018 (5:07 PM).

Quote:
            I'm using PGE. It expands the pokemon memory just fine, but the game crashes or resets itself whenever I win a trainer battle.

What I am saying is that either PGE is corrupting my ROM or I am not using the right options in it.
            I am not aware of any issues with PGE's Pokemon expansion. I don't know how to help you :(
            Old October 2nd, 2018 (5:26 PM).

Quote:
              I am not aware of any issues with PGE's Pokemon expansion. I don't know how to help you :(
              It's okay thanks for commenting anyways. This type of stuff always happens to me with digital games (Game breaking bugs only I seem to have). I'm gonna do some more testing on my own and try to find exactly what patches from Leon's base are causing the crashes. Hopefully its nothing too important like the Day-Night System or the Advanced AI.
              Old October 4th, 2018 (3:12 AM).

So I talked to PSI Master, the ROM base's creator about this and he encountered the same issue. He even put up a new warning and everything on the hack page. According to his discord, he has to remake the ROM base from scratch in order to fix this (RIP). Hope everything works out in the end.

Quick Reply