• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver] Emulation Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2011
Make sure you are using the correct code that corresponds to the particular version that you are playing! I'm playing the US SoulSilver btw!
SAVE AND RESTART EMULATOR OFTEN! I'm on the way to union cave! So far the only crash i've had was upon leaving the Ruins Of Alph research house!

Sorry for double posting, but I'm no expert and i just tried something new, I entered the Ruins with codes for BOTH games on. Entered and left Ruins of Alph research house with no problems. Tried to save in the Ruins and No$GBA started running at 50% and didnt finish saving! Restarted emulator and to my suprise, the game DID save! With only the SoulSilver code on, I entered the Research House again over and over again with no problems! Did not attempt to save again! Can or someone else experiment with both codes on post their results?!

EDIT: I think that activating the HeartGold cheat in SoulSilver only causes the aforementioned saving problem! Saved normally with it off but froze during save with it on and still loaded properly from where the game froze! (i believe that the game saves all data then freezes before saying ------- saved the game! which is why the game still pulls up properly!)

Last edited:

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
Wow this US version AP is killing me -.-

I don't think we're allowed to upload BIOS, that's the part that's normally illegal :/
You can Google it, BIOS 7 and BIOS 9 should be the files you need

Hey, has anyone else tried activating the cheat to bypass black screen, deactivate and then play as normal? It seems to crash less for me :/

HOW TO USE JAPANESE .SAV WITH USA VERSION ROM!
1) Rename your save file to the name of your new US rom
2) Play the game

I think this means you can use the same Pokesav with US HGSS as well :3

Rom runs for me at 90-28% overworld on No$gba
Runs at around 175% in battles
Using the following No$gba setting:
Unlimited MHZ 100%

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2011
^ i definitely will try that if I start having problems again! (After Witney and Morty)
I have used POKESAV!!! Doesn't seem to have caused any problems!
How far have you gotten Destiny?!

EDIT: After saving in one spot multiple times then saving once with the HeartGold cheat on, the game froze! Reloded and the game said that the save file is corrupted, previous save will be loaded! Not a problem since I saved at the same spot!

Last edited:

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
Years
Hmm, I suppose I should share to you guys how I was able to run my USA HG ROM with only the minor problems like the Battle pausing and then a one-time crash (always remember to save often and close the emulator afterwards to be safe).

Anyways... here's what I used:

- eNDryptS Advanced (for encrypting/decrypting your ROMs)
- NDS Top System (for checking if your ROM is encrypted/decrypted)
- Firmware files from your NDS (these includes: BIOSGBA.ROM, biosnds7.ROM, biosnds9.ROM, firmware.bin, key.cfg) Make sure you have all of these.
- no$GBA ver. 2.6a
- Clean HG/SS ROM (if you've got yourselves the patched ones, you're pretty much screwed)

1. Check if your HG/SS ROM Header is clean via NDS Top System. If it says it's corrupted, you will need to use eNDryptS Advance. If it says the header is correct and encrypted, head to Step 3.

2. If your ROM is decrypted, run the eNDryptS Advance. Make sure it's in the same folder as your ROM. Just follow the on-screen instructions, going with option 1 and it'll do the rest for you. After that, exit.

3. Open up any ROM with no$GBA 2.6a. Go to Options -> Emulation Setup.

4. Look under Reset/Startup Entrypoint and select GBA BIOS (Nintendo Logo) and press OK.

5. Go at Options again and then "Save Options".

6. Close the emulator, open up this time your new encrypted ROM and start playing.

Finally, the reminder of saving and closing the emulator itself after saving is a must. Other than that, the game runs smoothly for me, I'm about to get to Clair's gym now.

No patches, no cheat codes, no nothing. Just these should be enough.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Any news of an Anti-Freeze as of yet?
Using R4, just got to my 3rd badge and it's been getting progressively worse and freezing constantly.
I checked around google and got no results. Anyone know if there's one available?

Silver_Wind

Creative Artist
Years
Been using No$GBA,

Using a AR Code referenced from 'Rageman". So far I have captured 4th badge. Gamplay freezes here and there from time to time. Also pieces of areas glitch up, usually turning black.

Rom has crashed on several occasions, but I can deal with it now. Saving most of the time is the best way to go.

Still waiting on updates. But progressing through the game decently.

-Silver

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Any news of an Anti-Freeze as of yet?
Using R4, just got to my 3rd badge and it's been getting progressively worse and freezing constantly.
I checked around google and got no results. Anyone know if there's one available?

Maybe you should buy the game instead. There is the best anti-freeze patch you could ever get. :3

Years
Hi, im matt, long time reader, but first time poster. I was getting frustrated with this crashing business, so i used some trial and error solutions for the no$GBA. What i found was as follows:

1. To stop the "fainting" glitch, make sure that you did not turn the sound off on the emu

2. Do not move your mouse outside the emulator screen, or at all, during saving, or it will crash.

3. Do not save the control settings, if u did, it will crash. This is my most exciting find, as i just got the 3rd HM and it kept crashing when i saved.
So like you should do if you set the starting point on BIOS and it keeps crashing, delete the configuration settings (NO$GBA.INI) file and it should remove the saved settings and fix the crashes (hopefully).

I hope this is helpful to some, and if it makes sense at all. Sorry if this is spam or repeating someones post....

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
Years
3. Do not save the control settings, if u did, it will crash. This is my most exciting find, as i just got the 3rd HM and it kept crashing when i saved.
So like you should do if you set the starting point on BIOS and it keeps crashing, delete the configuration settings (NO$GBA.INI) file and it should remove the saved settings and fix the crashes (hopefully).

...? Perhaps you don't have the firmware files if your emulator keeps crashing like that when using the BIOS start up? I was able to run a clean ROM just fine with the BIOS start-up along with firmware files on the same folder as no$GBA. Also, my version is 2.6a.

Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2010
So I am having this problem where I will be playing, the ROM will crash, and I will lose massive amounts of progress. So I figure I'll just keep a backup of the save file every time I save the game just in case. So I do this. The ROM eventually crashes, and I attempt to revert to the backup. It makes no difference. I still lose a whole bunch of progress. How the hell is it possible that the ROM crash destroys not only the regular save file, but also a copy of the save file that i keep in a completely different directory that no$gba has no way of knowing about? WTF!

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
Years
@Avegaille I was under the impression that you had to set the emu settings to bios, then run the game....

Yes, I do. Also, the ROM's header needs to be encrypted before you can run said ROM under BIOS mode with firmware files.

So, basically, I use NDS Top System to check if the ROM headers are encrypted or decrypted while using eNDryptS Advanced to decrypt/encrypt ROMs. In order for me to go back to the usual Start Cartridge Directly, I have to open up an encrypted ROM and change my setting from there, otherwise, I get the emu crash.

(also, my post from the previous page will direct you to how I was able to run the ROM smoothly, without any patches, but there's still the save every 10 mins and close the emulator ordeal.)

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
This thread contains EVERYTHING that we know so far about the ROM and its constant troubles.

[http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=213557]

A summary of the facts from the thread
Anti-Piracy
The US version of Soul Silver has different AP from the Japanese ROM. This means that almost all the fixes we've applied to the Japanese ROM won't work for US. The freezes depend on the number of badges you have.

The freezes
Spoiler:

How to prevent freezes US
Spoiler:

Here is Avegaille's encrytion method
Spoiler:

Japanese Version
There is no fix, but you can play up to 14 hours without freeze. Fix under spoiler tags

Spoiler:

Frequently Asked Questions
Spoiler:

USEFUL CODES (so you don't need your badges as often)
in testing Walkthrough walls
94000130 FCFD0200
1205DAA2 00000200
D2000000 00000000
94000130 FCFD0100
1205DAA2 00001C20
D2000000 00000000

R+B to enable, L+B to disable.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
@Destiny
I input the codes you provided into an R4 (AR cheat database) to see if they would work and I don't think it made too much pf a difference there I'm afraid.
I also must note that the ROM starts to freeze a lot around the time you get your third badge, it's a struggle to get to your fourth with constant warp freezes and also on exiting a menu/saving.

Edit:
Rom totally crashed after 4th badge. Cannot bypass the freeze, I assume that that's as far as you can get unfortunately.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2010
guys i can't find KEY.CFG File anywhere!
someone found it and can tell me where i can find it or send it to me via email or somehing?

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2011
I've been playing SoulSilver on no$GBA with ONLY the AR codes! I've only gotten one crash! I will soon be battling Whitney! How many people have problems after Whitney using No$GBA and ONLY the AR codes?!

Also should I ever turn the codes off?!

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
Abnegation- The codes only prevent blackscreen, the one you get when you try to load a save game (I left that out, sorry)
Yeah, the freezes get more frequent the more badges you have.
You could continue playing with the Japanese ROM.

orelkayam- http://www.mediafire.com/?m4jmt4wmwoj
doctordoom61- Your going to have to keep using them. Otherwise, you won't be able to load save file :'(

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
They have japanese versions with almost 100% english patches. Why get this glitch-ridden US version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back