• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporefame19

Amateur Cartographer
Years
Thank you WackyTurtle
I fixed up Alkalase City:
Spoiler:

Also I finished this, Friendship Forest:
Spoiler:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Thank you WackyTurtle
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A couple concerns in that forest...
The top left ledge looks silly when all the other ledges point west or south...
The center west facing ledge doesn't end... Does it?
The top right ledge should be more to the last left tree, I think that would look better.
I also think you're letting players get off easy by not putting much grassy patches.

The city...
The gym has the power plants pillar things on the side, yet you have a power plant within the city, looks strange as the mixture of buildings doesn't suit.
I don't like the trees surrounding the city, too "straight" for me, maybe add some oddly spaced ones or some different types or maybe a random pool of water instead of some trees, I dunno.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Thank you WackyTurtle
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

That looks much better, nice work!

Friendship forest looks like it could be interesting, although from a gameplay perspective it looks a bit same-y. Make sure there are plenty of trainers/items etc. to ensure the player doesn't get bored.

Years
How to capture the map?

I want to know this since I'm studying mapping right now and want some criticism of my work.

Sporefame19

Amateur Cartographer
Years
How to capture the map?

I want to know this since I'm studying mapping right now and want some criticism of my work.

You can print screen then edit it on paint or, if you have Wndows 7, Use the snipping tool.
To "remove the lines" go to any layer other than events and press F4 and F2.
To get everything back to normal press F4 and F3.

Years
What I do is take multiple screen shots at 1/2 and then stitch them together using paint.

yeah I just figured it out minutes ago, thank you anyway, silly me :P

@Kurapika: a little bit two empty imo, need more detail :)

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
@nakagg - I believe there is a script that will do it for you, but I'm not certain at the moment.

@Kurapika - I can still see some of the original routes in your map, which is a good thing. They need to be recognizable. However, the maps are still a bit too empty. My advice would be to decrease the amount of space you're using. Perhaps try condensing the map itself? It shouldn't make it too cramped...

Years
Spoiler:

It's my first map, doesn't have a name yet but it's main char's home town and the first route I guess

@Sporefame19: It's look clean and modern, but I don't like the random rock around. It's a solid built.

@Ęℓαчиıı: I see. Appreciated.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@nakagg: the town looks good, I do think that the yellow building looks a bit out of place. Te mmountain part looks weird though, ut also contains some tile errors. It's too square and small, if you ask me.

The route looks great esthetically, but terrible game play wise. The positioning of the ledges makes it difficult to backtrack, while making the initial trip a lot easier. The majority of tall grass can easily be avoided. Try to divide the map in clear and tall grass sections.

Years
both the mountain part and the building are from my friend request, but it's really nice critcism. I need more of this!

also can you point out the tiles error? since I want to fix that ASAP, I'm kinda new to these stuff

The idea of this game is probably weird and unorthodox for Pokemon. The Home town as you see my map is one of the higher places in this game, that explains why the route 1 (and probably the other route as well) will look like it's going down(As far as I know, Nintendo Pokemon game tend to have the home town as one of the lower places, so we could going up the mountains like some kind of challenge). Also my friend said he want "a very annoying route 1" so that's why I make it look like this. But I know, it's somehow look weird and hard to play with.

Last edited:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
@nakagg
Very nice for a first map. You've got great potential, and you seem to have a good eye for mapping!

But, like elarmasecreta said, the yellow house looks out of place. You could try recoloring it blue, but keep the buildings design itself.
Also: You have tile-errors in the paths on the route 1, and you shouldn't use the "upper-ledges", since they aren't really ledges.

Otherwise, everything is looking really good.
From a design point of view though: Since you said this was ON a mountain, I think you shouldn't be using trees around the town. Look at Lavaridge Town or Fallarbor Town in Pokemon RSE. Mountains doesn't usually have a lot of trees, but they do have lots of cliffs and rocks.

Years
@nakagg
Very nice for a first map. You've got great potential, and you seem to have a good eye for mapping!

But, like elarmasecreta said, the yellow house looks out of place. You could try recoloring it blue, but keep the buildings design itself.
Also: You have tile-errors in the paths on the route 1, and you shouldn't use the "upper-ledges", since they aren't really ledges.

Otherwise, everything is looking really good.
From a design point of view though: Since you said this was ON a mountain, I think you shouldn't be using trees around the town. Look at Lavaridge Town or Fallarbor Town in Pokemon RSE. Mountains doesn't usually have a lot of trees, but they do have lots of cliffs and rocks.

Wow you're right. Thanks to you guys I have a lot of ideas to improve this map. I will also try the recoloring thing, it may work out much better.

I've never realized there is no real "upper-ledges" tiles and I just want to try it out. Guess I need to do something like adding trees then. Also I think I should add more tall grass then.

One of the idea of the Route 1 ledges is the access to the pond at the northern middle, players can fish a certain kind of rare pokemon with a super rod only from that pond in the whole world map.

Spoiler:

hope the town is better now

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Now that looks a lot better! I can hardly believe you just started mapping. There's one thing that's still bothering me though.

I'm not too fond of the upper left corner of the map. The rock smash Boulder looks a bit out of place, and the place where you can get the pokeball should be connected to the other mountains.

If you want some examples of mountain maps, browse back a few pages. My maps might give you some ideas.

Years
Thank you :)

That place suppose to be man-made so I think it works out (though I don't really like it either), but you are totally right about the smash boulder, my friend will use a character at that place, I just want to mark it with something :)

Your maps are amazing, maybe this will help me with the next few cities and towns. Thank you!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Spoiler:

hope the town is better now
That looks a lot better. There's just a few design points I want to make.

The jutting-out cliff in the middle of the pond (just about, if you stare long enough) looks like an overhang rather than a jutting-out cliff. It more easily looks like an error, since it's connected to the third layer of cliffs yet is only one layer thick, and no one would be expecting an overhang (particularly in that position where it wouldn't serve any purpose anyway).

Paths could extend a little beyond the doors of houses. I mean, they extend so far out of the town itself (east and south). In fact, in FRLG style, the paths look too developed for such a small town. You could try one of the alternate kinds of grass instead.

The stairs you used at the northern house belong on the northern side of cliffs rather than the south. The version with thicker stairs is the one you should use there instead.

I'm not convinced those lampposts need to be there. I seem to recall that in FRLG, they were only used on Cycling Road. They're not in Saffron City, so why would they be in such a small town? The fountain is also slightly too fancy for it, but it's up to you, of course.

Other than that, pretty good. It sort of looks like a flat area has been carved out of the hillside (although whether it needs to be that flat I'm not sure - you could spice it up with multiple levels running through the town and make it more obvious from the start that you're in a hilly place).

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
Hey everyone, I am quite new to the mapping scene and would like some constructive feedback on one of my newest maps. This place is named Avocado Town - I may want to add some more greenery ;)

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back