• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*!Pokemon Cycle Challenge!*

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
!WELCOME TO THE TYPE CYCLE! !CHALLENGE!

: OVERVIEW :
What is the Type Cycle Challenge?

One of the key concepts in Pokémon is that every type has at least one weakness. To keep these weaknesses in check, a player will commonly try to catch pokémon of different types. I thought it would be interesting if one were to play through the game with a set of pokemon whose weaknesses are found in other members of the team. In short, one pokémon on your team is weak to another, which in turn is weak to another. The way that weaknesses can continuously affect each other, as in a cycle, is the concept behind this challenge.

The challenge is to play through the game with a set of pokémon who are strong against each other, although this isn't 100% true. For example, one type cycle has Fighting, Dark, and Ghost. Fighting is super-effective against Dark, which is super-effective against Ghost, but how does Ghost play into Fighting? Well, Fighting has no effect against Ghost, so it's similar to being super-effective in a reverse sort of way. To avoid things being too complicated, I stuck to only doing sets of three types. This way, you can play through the game with just three pokémon, or with six, two of each type. I will refer to these as Moderate Difficulty (6 Pokémon) and Experienced Difficulty (3 Pokémon). You can find a list of the type cycles below. Feel free to tell me if I missed any of them!

*TYPE CYCLES*

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I realise that Dragon and Normal Types are not included and this is because they have a small list of strengths and weaknesses. As well, there are many pokemon who have these as subtypes, so there's no need to worry. ^_^

>RULES<
Gotta follow 'em all! Okay, maybe not ALL of them...

-All pokémon on your team must have one of the types you picked. It's not against the rules if it doesn't have that type at the start, so long as they have it in a later evolution.

-However, you MUST evolve them as soon as possible.

-In light of recent events, if you come across a shiny and catch it, you may replace one of the pokemon on your team with it. I wouldn't want to be cruel and prevent you from putting a shiny into the Hall of Fame!

-Until you can get a pokemon assigned to you, you may use your starter.

-You cannot use Legendaries

-ROMs are allowed

-NFE (Not Fully Evolved) pokémon are optional.

-If you have no pokémon that appear before the third Gym Leader, you may hack in ONE LOW LEVEL pokémon of one of your types.

-Some Cycles do not have pokémon that can learn certain HM's, so I am allowing 2 HM Slaves on your team at a time, but you cannot use them in battle.

-If all your other pokémon faint, you must head back to the nearest Pokémon Center to revive them. If you're in a trainer battle, you'll basically have to let your opponent kill off your slaves.

-Regarding your teams, I will pick them so that you don't have completely dominating pokémon that can sweep through the game with few to no problems.

-Other than that, just have fun!

}CHALLENGE COMPLETION{
When is your challenge over?

Because all the games are different, each challenge ends at different places:

R/B/Y/F R/L G
This challenge ends when you defeat your Rival, who has become the Champion

G/S/C/HG/SS
This challenge ends when you defeat Red on Mt. Silver

R/S/E
This challenge ends when you defeat Steven, whether in Ruby and Sapphire or in Emerald

D/P/Pt
This challenge ends with the defeat of Cynthia in all games

B/W
This challenge is over when you defeat Alder

B 2/W 2
This challenge is over when you defeat Alder as well

^CHALLENGERS, CHAMPIONS, & SIGN-UP FORM^

Single Challengers
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers
Spoiler:

Single Champions
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions
Spoiler:

Here's the sign-up form

Username:
Cycle:
Challenge: Single or Ultimate
Difficulty: Moderate or Experienced
Game(s):
Trade-ability: Y/N?

EDIT: I have added trade-ability to the Sign-up form so I can know if you can trade to evolve pokemon.

This is my sign-up
Spoiler:

Banners and Userbars

Single Challengers
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers
Spoiler:

Single Champions
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions
Spoiler:

My team will be:
Parasect
Dugtrio
Golbat

Wish me luck! ^_^

Last edited:
Years
Hello! I think this would be a pretty cool challenge to do and would like to join!

Username: joshbl56
Cycle: Flying->Rock->Water->Electric->Ground->Grass (6 pokemon, if you're ok with that)
Challenge: Single
Difficulty: Moderate
Game(s): Crystal

I'm currently doing other challenges so I might start this one late, sorry '^.^

EDIT: I would also like to know if we could use the Fast Forward button on VisualBoyAdvance to speed through certain parts, if that is okay with you?

Last edited:

Leonknight

Merc Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 20, 2013
Username: Leonknight
Cycle: ICEGROUNDSTEELICE
Challenge: Single
Difficulty: Experienced
Game(s): Leaf Green

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
I did say that that the challenge was to play through the game with one of the cycles. If you absolutely must then I will accept. The reason I stuck with three type cycles was to keep the balance of them. In your cycle, grass, water, and ground are effective against rock, rock and electric are strong against flying, but flying is only strong against grass. It's unbalanced

EDIT: I am okay with you using the speed function on an emulator! C:

@LeonKnight:

Your team will be....

Jynx
124.png

Nidoking
034.png

Magneton
082.png

Good luck against Brock! Lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
@LeonKnight: I thought you could find them on Route 3. Their rare, but their there!

@PsychoJigglypuff: Cool. Here's your team-

Feraligatr
160.gif

Octillery
224.gif

Donphan
232.gif

Quagsire
195.gif

Jolteon
135.gif

Ampharos
181.gif

Go for it!

Leonknight

Merc Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 20, 2013
Yea Route 3 is after Pewter city, and can't get to it cause of that one douchebag that keeps taking u to the gym xD

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
Oh right. Derp. I always think Route 3 is the one that's next to Viridian City, with the optional rival battle.

Years
I did say that that the challenge was to play through the game with one of the cycles. If you absolutely must then I will accept. The reason I stuck with three type cycles was to keep the balance of them. In your cycle, grass, water, and ground are effective against rock, rock and electric are strong against flying, but flying is only strong against grass. It's unbalanced

EDIT: I am okay with you using the speed function on an emulator! C:

Whoops, I think I misread the rules as you giving us some examples while we make our own cycle, sorry :( If I'm still able to do the challenge, I would like to change the cycle to FIRESTEELROCKFIRE please

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
@joshbl56: Of Course You Can! ^_^

Here you go!

Typhlosion
157.gif

Rapidash
078.gif

Forretress
205.gif

Skarmory
227.gif

Sudowoodo
185.gif

Corsola
222.gif

@CanadianBaconX: For you I think....

Primeape
057.gif

Rhydon
112.gif

Fearow
022.gif

Best of luck to the both of you!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
Oh, yeah. Srry. You can take your pick. I actually chose Fearow so that you can have a pokemon before 2nd Gym, but it's your call. I mean, you can get Mankey right after beating Misty, but whatever. :/

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
Username: Collutorium
Cycle: Water Ground Electric
Challenge: Ultimate
Difficulty: Experienced
Game(s): Blue, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black²
Trade-ability:N

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
Okay, Collutorium. I'll just start you off with your blue team

Blastoise
009.gif

Marowak
105.gif

Pikachu
025.gif

There you go! You're all set!

EDIT: You can get Raichu if you want. I don't know why I said Pikachu...Umm....yeah...

Last edited:

Leonknight

Merc Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 20, 2013
HA I also just realized I have to wait till Fuschia city to get my last two party pokemon. Can't get Jynx untill traded for Poliwhirl, and surf is from the Warden xD...

EDIT: Update #1

1. Picked Starter to last me untill I could get Nidoran, so I choose squirtle, and defeated Rival
2. Did all events leading up until Pewter City, where I confronted Brock and easily swept the team earning me the Boulder Badge
3. Finally Caught my first Team member Nidoran, and headed back defeating trainers I missed and training him up.
4. Nidoran evolved at lvl 20, I waited until an early Horn attack, into Nidorino. Which I immeditately evolved into Nidoking.
5. Finished up with Mt. Moon and headed to Cerulean city
6. Beat Rival at the Nugget bridge, along with all trainers and went and saw Bill
7. Headed back into Cerulean City, and destroyed Misty with Nidoking, earning me the Cascade Badge, and saved at Poke Center

Current Team:
034.png

Liege, the Nidoking Lv. 29
Calm Natured
Stats:
HP:93|Atk:54|Def:53|Sp.Atk:62|Sp.Def:60|Spd:65
Moveset:
Thrash
Peck
Horn Attack
Double Kick
(would've got a better nature, but 1% chance to get a Nidoran(m) in LeafGreen)

Last edited:
Years
Oh, yeah. Srry. You can take your pick. I actually chose Fearow so that you can have a pokemon before 2nd Gym, but it's your call. I mean, you can get Mankey right after beating Misty, but whatever. :/

Even though Scyther is my favourite, I'll go with Fearow since... I don't like the idea of having to wait till the Safari Zone to get 2/3rds of my team haha :D Challenge START!

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2014
Well, there you go! TWENTY EIGHT! TWENTY EIGHT FREAKIN' USERBARS! Take your pick. Geez, that was a lot of uploading and typing and retyping and coloring and shading....Ugh...

Years
FiRFl Cycle Challenge: Pokemon Red Update #1

- Chose Charmander as my starter since Blastoise should lead to the most challenge for my party. Named him Box (Cause that's where he'll be living).
- Went to the Viridian Forest and burnt it... With fire.
- Challenged Brock, Charmander uses Ember, gets a BRN, Brock uses a Full Heal ON THE SAME TURN!!? CHEATER!
- Finished off Brock and moved onto Route 3 and caught me my first team member Torin the Spearow.
- Went back to Viridian Forest and fed Torin filled with Caterpies and Weedles.
- Arrived in Cerulean, punched my rival in the mouth, won a gold nugget and a trip on some boat.
- Torin evolved into Fearow.
- Even tough Route 5 was open, I got the Cascade badge first.
- Went to Route 5 and caught Ki the Mankey.
- Used the Dig TM on Ki, allowing him to clean out Route 11, S.S. Anne and Lt. Surge's whole gym.
- Ki also Evolved into Primeape on the S.S. Anne. I also used Bodyslam and Thunderbolt TMs on him.
- Saved at the entrance of the Rock Tunnel.

Team:

Torin the Fearow (31)
Atk: 75/Def: 58/Spe: 84/SP: 52
Moves:
Peck
Mirror Move
Leer
Fury Attack

Ki the Primeape (32)
Atk: 80/Def: 54/Spe: 79/SP: 59
Moves:
Body slam