• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
what about one where you only use pokemon that would likely live around where you are? like i live in arizona, a desert, so sandshrew, cacnea, trapinch, etc.
thats cool, im goanna try that on leaf green. I live around the forest and the coast. So fish, crabs, and forest type animals.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, I've done this challenge for every region except sinnoh so far and every time, I never picked legendaries. Mostly because I think it's cheap and also, because they're not my favorites :p. And what's the point of starting a challenge if you're gonna cheat? I do it just for fun. I would hope I could trust people to not lie about their favorites. I also wouldn't tell my favorites, just in case someone wants be a jerk like in your example. And maybe there can be a legends version and a no legends version

I just kinda feel bad for legendaries. :( They don't get to participate in many, if any, challenges. And in some cases, they are certain people's favorite Pokemon. Look at Larry, his username is Hiidoran, which is Heatran's Japanese name. And The Red Chain likes the Lake Trio. idk. I just feel bad for them, but I do like your suggestion on a version with no legends or with legends, however just have that option in one thread. No need in two separate threads for two different versions. I think I'll start posting this soon. :) I hope that mean moderator approves it. He's such an ass!

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I agree with Sydian concerning those challenges - I like all of their ideas. =D However, I do have three on my hands right now (baaaaad idea, kids) so I think I'll just need to save their concepts on a Word document and do them later, after I've finished the giant pile of game-playing before me. xD

And I would put a Legendary cap on the favorites challenge, like two Legends for the entire group. They can be used in any of the types, but you only get two. For example, if you like Heatran and Rayquaza, you would have one in Steel and one in Flying (or one in Fire and one in Dragon). I can point to quite a few Legendaries that I like very much - including, amazingly, Giratina - but I can see how it would be a game-breaker. Though you would probably have to put up your list first and leave it to the creator of the board (or a team the creator trusts) to pick them for you, akin to the Random Pokémon Challenge or something.

Anyway, I was thinking of a one-time challenge where you are only allowed to use Pokémon given to you from NPCs exactly as they are - meaning you can't evolve them. For example, a Starter Pokémon given from a Professor, the Onix you get for a Bellsprout in G/S/C/HG/SS, or the Eevee you find in the big building in Celadon or something. It wouldn't be the most gut-wrenchingly difficult of challenges, but I can't think of many people who would normally construct a team of Abra, Chatot, Haunter, and Magikarp.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
These are challenges I've done:
Contests challenge: A pokemon's moves must be all the same contest type: smart, beauty, etc. For my treecko I stuck with smart. worked out for me :D

Moveset challenge: As your pokemon learns new moves, the newest move will replace the oldest move, no matter what moves they are. TM's are not allowed. HM's, when taught, will still replace the oldest move when taught. This is honestly the hardest challenge I've done.

Split-game Challenge: Using any games that come in threes(Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald; Diamond, Pearl, Platinum; and so on) play all 3 at once. However, once a pokemon is caught in one game, it cannot be used in the others. For example: you catch a poochyena in Emerald. You can't use a poochyena or it's evolution in Sapphire or Ruby. The games should be kept at about the same place in the story at once. It took me forever to beat this challenge.

Restriction Challenge: Starters are excluded from the following: Roll a dice and see what it lands on. Anything from 2-6. Let's say it lands on 3. Then, every third pokemon in the pokedex, including it's evolution, if it evolves, can't be used in game. The pre-evolutions are allowed, but not that pokemon, or what it evolves into. Use the region dex, or the national dex, depends on how challenging you want it to be. I used region on Diamond, and I rolled a two. I was tempted to roll again.

Random Favorite Challenge: (This challenge will most likely involve Action Replay usage) Make a list of your top 6 pokemon in every type. Make sure you have them arranged from favorite to least favorite. Then, get someone to pick 6 random types. Let's say they pick: Dark, Grass, Fire, Electric, Ground, Bug. Then, you have to arrange a team depending on what they chose. Since dark was first, use you favorite dark type. Then, since it was second, your second favorite grass, and so on. When I did this, I ended up with 5/6 being weak to electric. Though, it can be pretty fun. This is the one I do every time a new generation is made.

I made all of these myself. If there are ones similiar like them out there, I never saw them.
I really like the split game, moveset, and favorite challenge. One question for moveset-would you be able to choose not to learn a move? It would suck if you had a Charizard or something that didn't have any fire moves because there was like 5 moves in between ember and flamethrower (don't know if that's the case, just an example).
I agree with Sydian concerning those challenges - I like all of their ideas. =D However, I do have three on my hands right now (baaaaad idea, kids) so I think I'll just need to save their concepts on a Word document and do them later, after I've finished the giant pile of game-playing before me. xD

And I would put a Legendary cap on the favorites challenge, like two Legends for the entire group. They can be used in any of the types, but you only get two. For example, if you like Heatran and Rayquaza, you would have one in Steel and one in Flying (or one in Fire and one in Dragon). I can point to quite a few Legendaries that I like very much - including, amazingly, Giratina - but I can see how it would be a game-breaker. Though you would probably have to put up your list first and leave it to the creator of the board (or a team the creator trusts) to pick them for you, akin to the Random Pokémon Challenge or something.

Anyway, I was thinking of a one-time challenge where you are only allowed to use Pokémon given to you from NPCs exactly as they are - meaning you can't evolve them. For example, a Starter Pokémon given from a Professor, the Onix you get for a Bellsprout in G/S/C/HG/SS, or the Eevee you find in the big building in Celadon or something. It wouldn't be the most gut-wrenchingly difficult of challenges, but I can't think of many people who would normally construct a team of Abra, Chatot, Haunter, and Magikarp.
Pssssssssh only doing 3 challenges at once. Puh-leez. If I'm doing any less than 5 at once I think its a light load.

I think the rule should be that you can add legendaries to your team, but you would only be allowed one. So, if you really like Zapdos and Mewtwo, you would have 7 Pokemon in both the Psychic category and the Electric/Flying category (whichever you put Zapdos in). That way, if Mewtwo is chosen first, then you ignore Zapdos in his list, and the 7th Pokemon either takes his place, or all the Pokemon after Zapdos move up a position.

I think the third paragraph was idea-ized before, but got vetoed because there aren't many Pokemon you could choose from.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6029949

I'm off to a bad, bad start already guys...let's break half the rules of the challenge in just the sign up post! YEAH!!

That legendary rule is that it/they have to be 5 levels under the highest level Pokemon. Arceus has to be 10. I might change that, since I actually do that 5 level difference in normal playthroughs, however I'm sure not everyone does that...mmmmmm.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
idk, I just feel bad for them. Almost every challenge you see, it's "NO LEGENDARIES ALLOWED OMGDJFLAJS"

I ran into one challenge that allowed them, however since there was a lack of other rules, it was not approved. It had potential, though. It was a random monotype challenge, so essentially a monotype, but your team was randomized.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
The rule should be "Legendaries are allowed, but we will mock you for it."

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Yeah, I don't have any personal problem with people using legendaries, I just don't think that you need them. If they are your favorite, then you should use them, because the objective of the challenge is to win with your favorites not to win with a slightly smaller list of Pokemon that others deem worthy.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I disagree with allowing the use of legendaries. It takes away the challenge aspect of the playthrough. We all know legendaries are for the most part stronger than normal pokemon.

I especially hate it when people are like: "Hay gaiz Im gonna use the grass tipes, i kno i cant use shaymin but ill use it anyways, kay?" First of all you're hacking for it which is cheating...2nd, shaymin would make the grass type challenge easy.

At least, I'm speaking from hosting my previous thread's point of view. I'm not sure if you guys experienced that as well in your own threads.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I disagree with allowing the use of legendaries. It takes away the challenge aspect of the playthrough. We all know legendaries are for the most part stronger than normal pokemon.

I especially hate it when people are like: "Hay gaiz Im gonna use the grass tipes, i kno i cant use shaymin but ill use it anyways, kay?" First of all you're hacking for it which is cheating...2nd, shaymin would make the grass type challenge easy.

At least, I'm speaking from hosting my previous thread's point of view. I'm not sure if you guys experienced that as well in your own threads.
Yup, that brings me to my second pet peeve. I hate it when people ask questions/do stuff that is explicitly forbidden in the rules. I mean come on, if you're doing the challenge, you obviously read some of the rules, would 4 more hurt you?

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
That happened to me ALL the time. The egg rule, legendary pokemon, HM slaves, etc. Sometimes they'll cheat and try to play it off. Like when you notice they're at the 6th badge in only 1 hour.

Haha sydian, that happens all the time..

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
That happened to me ALL the time. The egg rule, legendary pokemon, HM slaves, etc. Sometimes they'll cheat and try to play it off. Like when you notice they're at the 6th badge in only 1 hour.

Haha sydian, that happens all the time..
Well I mean, 6 Badges in an hour. Not too hard if you have a handy speed button (which isn't usually illegal). I mean, my average time for RBY challenges is like 1:15 it seems like. 6 Badges in an hour seems manageable.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I personally think that more challenges should follow what the geniuses who changed the monotypes did. I mean, come on, when you do the exact same challenge, you just are in a different region, I think that's basically the same thing. I think that there should be one thread for Monotypes, one for Solos, one for Nuzlockes, one for Colors, one for Gym Leaders and Elite Four, one for the teams (Team Rocket, Magma/Aqua, and Galactic) and one for Gym Types and Gym Disadvantage challenges. That way, if someone wanted a Nuzlocke challenge for XD, whoever was running THE Nuzlocke Challenge would just add an XD section. This would keep the number of challenges down to like 15 instead of 4 pages worth, and I wouldn't have to do nearly as much searching to find the challenges.

redsaber5859

Banned
Years
I personally think that more challenges should follow what the geniuses who changed the monotypes did. I mean, come on, when you do the exact same challenge, you just are in a different region, I think that's basically the same thing. I think that there should be one thread for Monotypes, one for Solos, one for Nuzlockes, one for Colors, one for Gym Leaders and Elite Four, one for the teams (Team Rocket, Magma/Aqua, and Galactic) and one for Gym Types and Gym Disadvantage challenges. That way, if someone wanted a Nuzlocke challenge for XD, whoever was running THE Nuzlocke Challenge would just add an XD section. This would keep the number of challenges down to like 15 instead of 4 pages worth, and I wouldn't have to do nearly as much searching to find the challenges.
The team challenge has its own thread, made by redsaber5859 on page 3 or 4...

I'll get to sydian on that

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Oh yeah, Team already has one thread. I'm going to make a single one for the solos right after I add in all the userbars for the monotype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back