• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beta Place

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you two. However, Kev XY, for the story sample I just linked to your post, as the forums insists that with it I've exceeded the character limit, even though a quick check seems to disprove that. But one can't argue with stubborn forums which think otherwise, apparently. >_< I might try again later though, but either way one will see it.

People, if you want to be Beta Reader, I'd advise signing up/offering your services, as there is a number of clients swamping the place in need of a Beta Reader... And if you are a client here and you get a Beta Reader, tell me so I won't worry as much. At this rate I may have to take a few on myself if they find me suitable and nobody else is available to take more on, as I don't want people waiting so long and might finally have time for it with school finishing up... but hopefully I won't be needed. If not, screw my own projects - this be serious business! -_-

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Done, Kev XY.

Anyways... I'm now a Beta Reader as well, people. After I got myself approved by Astinus, of course. I'm PMing a few of you, so if you want me to take you one, check your PMs. GGoing to take some of you who have been waiting a while, so that there are less clients waiting. Can't take you all on though. >_< (Six is WAY too much considering I have betas elsewhere as well. And some of you wouldn't fit my category as well - don't want to offer advice when someone can do a much better job of it... I'll play to my strengths).

Anyways, my profile:
bobandbill - Grammar/Language/Proofreader Beta Reader - BACK-UP BETA READER) - OPEN (approved by Astinus)

Genre specialty: Any, but have mostly have done OT fics. Also do comedy.
Preferred method of contact: PM for initial contact, send documents via e-mail though.
Examples of writing: Check my sig - two banners link to my two stories.
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: All three of these are reviews:
'Their Villainy Must Go On'
'An Everlasting Love'
'Stars' (link to another forum - sppf O_O)
Strengths/weaknesses (optional):
Spoiler:

Just so you know. -_-

Last edited:
Years
Title of Story: Spliced… version 3 (That version will be revised once my beta looks over it…)
Fandom: Pokémon, naturally
Plot summary: Josephine's brother threatens her livelihood in Kanto, so Professor Oak arranges for the fourteen year old red haired girl to travel to another region.
Genre: Adventure/OT
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG 13 (There'll be words like 'damn it' and 'bloody hell' – but most of the obscenities will be uttered by Rowan, Josephine's brother).
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive
Writing sample of story: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=157056
Other: (I've been writing Pokémon fics since late 2005. I know that my strength is grammatical/spelling. My weaknesses tend to outbalance my strength, with them being plot, character, pace sometimes…)

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Title of Story: Pokemon Coordinator Journeys

Fandom: Pokemon

Plot summary: I am writting this fic all because I wanted to be a pokemon coordinator all my life. I always wondered what it would be like to enter Pokemon contests, and earn ribbons. If the pokemon world was real, and was the world we live in, I'd be a Pokemon Coordinator. This fic starts in Kanto. Yes, if you watched Battle Frontier you'd know there are contests in Kanto. My character Kairi travals around with a pokemon trainer called Sora. Sora wants to be a pokemon master, and Kairi wants to be a Master Coordinator just like her mother. No, this isn't a crossover of Kingdom Hearts and Pokemon I'm just using those names for oc Pokemon characters. Also this is an all oc trainer/coordinator fic, as this is based off of the games not the show,but the coordinator matches are still like the show though.

Genre: Original Trainer/Original Coordinator

Rating (PG, R, etc): PG13

Type of mentor needed: Proff read, plot read, and even though, the top says people don't do this, grammer and spelling is what I need help with the most. Could someone at least try, please

Writing sample of story:

Kairi had just turned 10 that morning. She was so excited. Today was going to be the day when she got her first pokemon, from Professor Oak. She couldn't wait. Kairi made up her bed, put on her favorite outfit, brushed her teeth and went downstairs to eat breakfast,"Good morning mom."

"Good morning, Kairi dear," her mother said, looking up at her. Kairi sit down to eat a bowl of Cereal. "Kairi, I got you something at the Mart today for your journey," her mother told her as she watched her eat.

"Really? What is it?" Kairi asked getting very excited.

"It's a Pokegear. It has everything in it that you'll need on your journey. It has maps, of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Shinnoh. Plus it also displays the time for you, and it has a telephone as well. The best part is it, stores all your items and money in it." Her mother repiled.

"Gee, thanks Mom." Kairi said, taking the pokegear, and straping it onto her arm. "This'll be a big help."

"You better get going to Pallet Town or you'll be late getting your first pokemon," her mother reminded her.

"Ok, bye mom." Kairi said. She Kissed her mother on the cheek and went outback to get her bicycle and ride to the harbor to take a ship to Kanto.

Kairi pays for her ticket and gets on board the ship. She parked her bike in her room, and stood on the ship looking out over the water,'I can hardly wait till I get to Kanto.' She thought, grinning.

As soon as she made it to the harbor, she rode her bicycle into Pallet Town. She walked up to the professor's door and knocked. He answered it,"Hi. I'm here for my first Pokemon." The Professor stared at her,"Ah, you must be Kairi. Come in, come in."

The Professor led Kairi into the lab. He showed her all the starter choices. It was a hard choice but Kairi decided to go with the Pichu. She decided to let Pichu walk outside its ball with her, well ride in her bike basket anyway. The professor, gave her six pokeballs, and a pokedex, and sent her on her way.

Kairi put Pichu in the bike basket, and checked her map,"Ok, Viridian City's that way." She got on her bike and peddled down Route 1. This is just the beginning her adventures with Pichu. Kairi hopes to make great friends and pokemon, and become a top coordinator like her mother. That all lies in the future for now.

Other: Oh, this is a OC/OC pairing story.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you two (more clients!). Hmm, maybe soon we'll have to advertise for more Beta Readers. -_-

Also, Konekodemon; your writing sample is in link form in the first post to your post (again the forums believe that with it I exceeded the character limit >_<). EDIT: Nevermind; just overcame it. And also, there IS a type of Beta reader for Grammar/Spelling - the Grammar Beta Reader. ^^

Last edited:

Konekodemon

Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
oh, there is, the rules said that that a beta's job isn't to check spelling and grammer, oh well, anyway I'll wait as long as I need to for my beta reader, cause it's worth it

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
- It is advisable to read over your work BEFORE you hand it over to the beta reader. Beta readers aren't a spell and grammar check, but real people (gasp!), so keep that in mind.
That is what Konekodemon is referring to. And by that, bobandbill meant that they aren't gonna correct a completely misspelled story, as it would be a waste. But they are going to read through it, find small grammar mistakes, some spelling on big words and things like that.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Ah, fair enough then. In that case, Losst is correct - Betas will pick up on any grammar/spelling related mistakes and all - but it's hardly fair on them if you send something which clearly hasn't had much effort put into making it readable, or something in which the majority of mistakes can be fixed with a simple Spell/Grammar check. Simply a common courtesy, and Beta Readers aren't an alternative to a spell check. :)

Anyway, thanks for telling me you got someone now. *goes to update* :)

Konekodemon

Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I do have major mistakes but I did try very hard, even though I have very bad mistakes in grammer and spelling

Mira

restless spirit
Years
So do you submit your chapters to your Beta-reader as you write it? (after they've done what they currently have of yours, of course ;))

Title of Story: The Mind

Fandom: Original Fiction

Plot summary: This is the story of a fifteen-year-old girl named Sylvia who, after having been proven to be a Faerie, is sent to F.W.A. (Faerie Wing Academy) to have her Powers trained. After she receives her wings, she meets a woman who informs her that she is the next Mind Faerie: a Faerie born to be the guardian of the Light Faerie (the king or queen of their world). She learns that the Dark Faeries are on the move and are searching for the next Light Faerie. Sylvia is trained in her newfound Power in order to have the tools needed to protect the new Light Faerie. The only problem is, she doesn't know who it is.

Genre: fantasy and perhaps action (Before you ask, this is not a romance novel. There's no romance until the second book and even then it is not the main component of the story.)

Rating: PG for violence (maybe killing?) and perhaps some cussing, but otherwise G

Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive? I don't really know which aspect I want to have it worked on specifically. My story just needs some general help. Any kind of mentor would be welcome.

Writing sample of story:
This is just a part of the first chapter.
Spoiler:

Other: I don't currently have much of this story, but I'm still writing it. This is book one of The Silver Mark Trilogy.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you, Mira, to the first post. =) Generally, it goes that you send stuff by chapters whenever you're done, but some Beta Readers may prefer another method (say, by scenes?). So you may want to ask the Beta Reader when you get one, but generally it's by chapters.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Applying for a Beta- Reader:

Title of Story: Mission: Find the Source of the Madness!

Fandom: Original Ranger Fic

Plot Summary: A Top Ranger tells the story of his first mission as a Top Ranger to the students at a school.

Genre: Action, mystery, and a wee bit of romance

Type of mentor needed: Grammatical for sure and possibly a little bit of help with making the plot make sense or make more sense.

Writing Sample of Story:
With Pidgeot's incredible speed, we reached the main land in only fifteen minutes. It was pretty cool to see the port from that high up in the sky. It looked like a sleek strip of metal on the side of a huge mass of green. I saw many boats floating on top of the water near the port and a huge cruise liner leaving the harbor. As we began to descend I noticed that the "small strip of metal" was full of skyscrapers. This was a big port city. It had five light houses along the coast as well. I held tightly onto Kaleen, who had long since passed out, trying to keep her steady but it was definitely difficult with the speed we were going. Riolu also was holding on tight… to the top of my head. I could feel him shaking in fear. We began descending and I scanned the area for a hospital. I saw a tall skyscraper with hundreds of windows on each side and a giant red cross on the side.

Other: I'm actually a ways into the story all ready but still would like it to be the best it can be.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
I think I may as well apply for Beta Reader in the mean time

Category: Grammar Language and plot

Genre specialty: Pokemon and Sci-Fi. I do better with moderate lenght chapters

Preferred method of contact: PM or E-mail. Download my Vcard

Examples of writing: I have not publicized anything yet

Examples of reviews/beta-reports:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4246368&postcount=2

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4280277&postcount=3
(long one)
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4275772&postcount=4

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4275759&postcount=2

Strengths/weaknesses (optional):

Strenghts:

Moderate Lenght Chapters
Descriptions
Use of Language.

Weaknesses:

Original Fan-fics if they are to be very "Mysterious"

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
Is it okay if I also apply for getting a beta-reader?

Anyway, this is me applying for beta-reading for someone else!

Category: Comprehensive

Genre specialty: I work with any and all genres.

Preferred method of contact: PM

Examples of writing: Here is one from my Shaman King story:
Spoiler:

And one from my Pokémon story:
Spoiler:

Examples of reviews/beta-reports:
Here we are! I can finally post links. ^_~
http://dragonsky.forumotion.com/fanfiction-f1/pokemon-new-generation-a-new-beginning-t6.htm
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=33779

I can't seem to find my other ones. . But, once you read that, you'll get a taste of how I beta/review.

Strengths/weaknesses (optional): I procrastinate sometimes, but I'll do my best to work quickly and efficently.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added you, ShinjisLover, as a Grammar and Language Beta reader (told you via PM as well, btw).

And Dagzar, would prefer if you told me you found a beta rather than saying it by deleting your post - not as noticeable otherwise... :/ But anyway, updated that again.

Years
  • Seen May 11, 2016
I am also applying as a client. I have three stories, all of which I will describe. Hopefully, since I saw nothing against this, this will be acceptable.

(Story #1)
Title of Story: . . . >.> Still thinkin' of one.
Fandom: Pokémon (human adventures)
Plot summary: A young trainer starts out her adventure with a rough, rough start. Her foster father, Kyo (Koga of Fuschia City), is of hardly any help to her. She tries to fight for justice, although cannot see the hypocrisy in her actions, as she treats her Pokémon terribly to aim for one goal: More power with which to destroy Roketto-Dan. And that's just the first two arcs.
Genre: Tragedy, Romance, Action
Rating (PG, R, etc): Probably R-ish for explicit violence, explicit adult themes, and language.
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive
Writing sample of story:

(from the first few arcs in Kanto)
Spoiler:

(also from Johto)
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back