• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Journey Optional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
So, something of an RPT meme at this point, is that Pokemon journey RPs rarely/never finish. I was wondering why this is and it's really because people get lost between cities/plot events, get bored when nothing exciting is happening and stop posting. I want to fix this by taking the journey (and most of the effort) out of the equation.

The RP will have a mandatory once a week post, that post is simply the gym battle. If you want to post extra posts between, that's fine, but at the end of the week we move on to the next city/gym battle. In addition to this, there's a bit of RNG involved. At the end of each week when we transition from one city/gym to the next I will RNG a list of 10 Pokemon. I will then role a pair of dice. The first determines how many of that list you can add to your rotation of team members. The second determines how many of your existing team can evolve/learn a new move.

This next part I'm not sure if I want to make it a "sequel" or keep it in the same thread. But the idea is that after everyone has beaten the eight gym leaders/caught lots of 'mon they enter into the Pokemon league tournament where battles between players are done in a JP with me as the GM determining when a Pokemon is unable to battle. The RP ends when someone wins the tourney and becomes Champion.

I'm thinking of using my updated Sinnoh region for my setting, but I'll RNG 'mon from the national dex. Signing up will be really easy too. Players will choose their appearance from existing game sprites, there will be a short strength/weaknesses section but no personality or history and they will get to choose their starter (and one other Pokemon) from any stage 1 Pokemon.

The first part should only take like 8 weeks. The second would depend a bit on the number of players. Thoughts?

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Even though I'm terrible at writing them and usually hate journey RPs, I actually think this is a really interesting idea. It's shifting the RP from a more narrative approach to a mechanics-based one like Outbreak. Most journey RPs are based off of the games, which themselves are not focused on the narrative but rather the gameplay (since they're games), which I think may be a reason a lot of journeys fail. Is it gonna be little 'prompts', essentially? Will players have chances to interact inside/outside gyms?

also this title cracked me up ngl

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
This is... an interesting concept. I'll look into it more for sure when i'm not tired as crap though. <3

Years
Even though I'm terrible at writing them and usually hate journey RPs, I actually think this is a really interesting idea. It's shifting the RP from a more narrative approach to a mechanics-based one like Outbreak. Most journey RPs are based off of the games, which themselves are not focused on the narrative but rather the gameplay (since they're games), which I think may be a reason a lot of journeys fail. Is it gonna be little 'prompts', essentially? Will players have chances to interact inside/outside gyms?

also this title cracked me up ngl

They will have the option to if they can fit it in before the auto-move to the next gym/city. Plus there's the second half which is composed entirely of JPs.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
This actually sounds pretty good. I would totally take part in something like this.

Years
Have decided that if I do this I'll use a unique region and cast of gym leaders... not that this matters much to this RP lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back