• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Movie Theater VS Home Viewing

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
When a movie that you would like to see comes out, do you go see it in the movie theater or do you wait until it is available for home viewing?

Do you think that seeing movies in a theater provides a different experience than viewing at home and vice versa?

I really do enjoy seeing movies in the theater, but unfortunately tickets have gotten so expensive ;-;
Because of this, I usually wait for the film to come out on a streaming service and watch at home.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
only if it's a movie that I really look forward to, like Infinity War then I would see it in theaters. Other than that I will watch it at home whenever i feel like

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
It really depends on the movie, whether I am going with a group of friends and/or the fanbase within the theater at the time, and whether I can sneak contraband into the theater.

I haven't been to a movie theater for at least 5 years, so it may take getting used to the vibe of being in such a setting.

Outside the aforementioned criteria, I prefer to watch movies at home either by myself or a couple of friends.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Whenever I see a movie coming out in theaters I want to see, I do go to the theater and watch it.

Years
It depends, if it's a movie that i am really interested to see (which can rarely happen because i'm kinda picky about movies) i go to theater but i haven't been into one for 8 years, last movies i watched in theater was kfp 2 and yogi bear (yeah, this 2 movies i watched with my aunt when i was younger), otherwise i just watch movies in the home.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I really prefer theater showings especially with a group, but I occasionally go alone if no one else can make it. I like going to see them on the big screen first and if I like it, I'll definitely buy it on DVD/Blu-ray when it releases. Though I don't go to the movies often because I like to go at night and prices skyrocket so rip.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I understand that Theaters constantly invest capital into upgrading their equipment and to pay for staff but ffs... Tickets are pushing $15 with "reserved seating" <- BS as I see it. Then there's the prices for Popcorn, Drink, etc. A family of four going to the movies could easily spend $60-80(figure 40-50 on the Tickets since Kids are reduced price plus easily 20-30 on Food/Drink).

Compare that to staying at home and watching movies for a fraction of that where TV's, with the right sound system, are just as good.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I'd bring my own food and drinks if I really wanted to. The theater already takes enough money from the ticket.

Um good luck doing that if Theaters check bags and basically do a search(which I view as unlawful, hence my stance on the TSA) of every person planning to patronize their establishment in the guise of checking for weapons. It's made even worse when they won't allow outside food and drink in.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Um good luck doing that if Theaters check bags and basically do a search(which I view as unlawful, hence my stance on the TSA) of every person planning to patronize their establishment in the guise of checking for weapons. It's made even worse when they won't allow outside food and drink in.

I've done it before. I don't bring like a bunch of food, just some snacks in my jacket pocket. Never knew theaters did searches.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
There is definitely something about theatre viewings that I enjoy, but honestly of the two I think I actually prefer the coziness of watching movies at home, I like lying on the couch without paying for overpriced food, I can pause to go to the bathroom without missing anything and there won't be some assholes talking/making lots of noise disrupting the movie (well, sometimes there will be one or two at home too :p).

Back