• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Spirit

Lusty Kustard

Definite Fool
Years
POKEMON SPIRIT
A fan game set after the original Pokemon Red and Blue
=======================================================

The War for our Future begins with the Mistakes of our Past

My dreams are fevered, and my thoughts grow dimmer each day...hours...hours are all i have left...before the Dark.

Nearly two decades have passed since Cinnabar's split from the region, after the fires of Celadon spread, and arrogance sunk Cerulean. In Indigo City, one man's desperate efforts to avert disaster have stopped years of bleeding...but deep wounds never truly heal. The Dojo threaten complete control of Saffron, while Cinnabar comes alarmingly close to nationhood, and the strength to defend it. Soon, latent conflict will return and the challenge of peace will be endured by a younger, stronger generation of trainers. Life in Kanto has never been so difficult; yet, strong wills and free spirits are all that's needed to shape the future, and preserve unity amidst chaos.

On Characters and Story

There is no secret. There is no shortcut. The quickest path to success is to confront your failures. And move forward.

Hi, this is Lusty, the writer of Pokemon Spirit. I've spent the better part of a year writing this near-future story of Kanto and, after tons of planning, I finally feel ready to recruit some help!

The main story line focuses on the relationships of a few key characters, some navigating a new chapter in their lives, others working towards the completion of lifelong goals. There are no gym leaders to fight in this game; indeed, the notion of a "gym leader" has been restructured to mean "governor" in this alternate universe of Kanto. Instead, an intricate story line has been weaved into the fabric of the region, including key events on the horizon. Many characters, both new and old, with populate this narrative.

In Indigo City, a bastion for all of Kanto's citizens, the Academy has graduated some of its finest trainers: Audrey, daughter of the late Clair of Blackthorn, Janine, adopted daughter of General Lance, and Nikolei, native of Indigo City. All are are now qualified to own 'personal' Pokes, and to find their purpose in Kanto. The player will navigate the main story arc from this lofty start, which allows considerable freedom along the way, including side-story completion, frivolous exploration, or in-depth research on new pokes and the last two decades of Kanto's war-torn history.

The story isn't perfect, but, in some way, that reflects the design of imperfect characters, who are constantly trying to rebuild their broken nation and find strength against internal doubt. My intent is that empathy, furnished by a compelling narrative, finds each player in some insightful way, and provides a glimpse into the lives of each character as they navigate this new, fractured world.

On Kanto and Pokes

I loved my city and my family...but he took those from me. I don't want your promises, and I don't want his protection...I want revenge.

Every major city has been reworked, some even removed, depending on how they were affected by the events 20 years prior: Celadon, a ruin of ash and sand, its lush forests now ruled by desert winds; Cerulean, stagnant and sunken, turned to swampland and re-birthed in the feral northeast; Saffron, previously Kanto's largest city, split in two, and weary of hope, as the Citadel looms to the south. Great care has been taken to increase the scale and complexity of each city, while preserving their uniqueness.

Old pokes will return along with new! Unique event pokes, carefully selected 'character' pokes, and a few novel creations will populate the region. I do not plan on adding all 800+ pokes to the game, a promise that always seemed as impractical to me as it was unnecessary. Rather, pokes will be selected based on how well they serve the narrative, the universe, and the environment in which they thrive. Old pokes may have new moves, abilities or even evolutions! But knowledge of these changes will always be available to the curious player.

=======================================================

Features
  • Unique storylines, including in-depth looks at old, and new, characters
  • Redesigned cities and routes, including expanded access into the region
  • New geographical landmarks/biomes
  • Select event Pokes, new evolutions, and unique 'character' pokes.
  • Varied side-stories, which tie into the universe and other storylines
  • Custom music, made by yours truly :)
Recruitment

I made this post to, hopefully, recruit a few dedicated people interested in either what I've been developing, or experimental design in general. I have mapped out most of the cities by hand, and am confident I could do the rest. The story is also nearly complete, at about 150 pages, and is divided into 4 Acts.

The best case scenario for me would be finding an artist to bring the story to life with their own unique style. Since the story is, at it's core, an experiment into (hopefully) unique Pokemon fan-game storytelling, I would want the art to be of similar caliber, and would be willing to give complete control to someone who can match that expectation.

Other than that, anyone interested in expanding their abilities with RPG Maker XP, Pokemon Essentials, or another program that could bring this story to life, would be more than welcome on the team!

Contact

Contact me at [email protected] or message me on PC if you are interested in joining and would like more information. I'll try not to talk too much, but there is a lot to talk about! {XD}

Last edited:

Lusty Kustard

Definite Fool
Years
The city maps are all just hand-drawn, on graph paper atm. Working on getting them into RMXP asap so I have a better feel for their look in game.

Back