• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scrapbox phase-out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Most of us don't expect any of the ideas in the scrapbox to become hacks either.
True, but there are a few exceptions, if you haven't noticed. I saw many hacks in scrapbox that moved to the progressing hacks [they weren't just some crappy ideas, in other words].

The stupid noobs just don't read the rules and
this is going to end the life of noobs!

And also, one phrase for everybody:
THE SCRAPBOX IS POINTLESS IN THE
FIRST PLACE!!

This is a dream come true!
I also have a phrase for you:
IT'S POINTLESS TO CALL THE NEWBS STUPID AND _____.
.. seriously now, don't be so harsh. You don't help AT ALL. They don't deserve it as most of them post without thinking. I bet you do think before you post [you're not a newb], so being harsh like that is bad; that's my point of view.

Last edited:

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
yea, the scrapbox has no real reason to be deleted...
well, except maybe the constant breaking of rules, but thats cause no one really cares much... Whenever you see a bump do you ever report it? Or do you just wait till the mods find out then be upset? Also even these "experienced hackers", have you guys ever read the actual rules? like took the time to read the entire page?

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I'm not trying to flame or anything but this is the worst idea I have ever heard. Getting rid of the scrap box will not solve any problems. In fact it will only make things worse. The only logical solution would be to make a set of rules and enforce them. I know that The Doctor and Christos are both very busy when they're on here due to the activity level here. So why not make someone that can handle some of the problems a moderator for the scrap box? I can think of a few people on here that could do that but I won't name anyone. That way the scrap box can stay and actually be useful.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
Wow, this thread went to the deep end real fast. :(

Proof of what I said is in this thread.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
Years
I'm leaning more towards the scrapbox-supporters, only since I do think that it is useful for some dedicated beginners who could really produce a high-quality hack if they are just given the right outlet for their ideas. There's another thread or two for "storyline ideas" and small-scale stuff like that, but some people really do have well-developed ideas that just need to be supported by the right people, and could easily just go unnoticed in a thread like that. I myself don't have the time to start working on a hack myself, but I have pages upon pages of binder paper filled with scribbles for the plot of the hack I'd eventually like to make with the help of others. A massive, complete outline of a hack like that really has no place to go but the scrapbox, and without such an outlet, it would probably become a lot more difficult to get the right kind of attention and help.

Also, really, some of you, putting the blame on beginners or "noobs" isn't addressing the problem. There's plenty of beginners with some potentially great ideas, and likewise there's some active members here who frankly can't come up with ideas much better than those flooding most of the scrapbox. I myself haven't even created that many maps in my lifetime, but I think calling me a noob would be a little misguided.

But anyways, like some others have said, I don't think the hacking forums would be able to accommodate properly without having a scrapbox-like outlet, so it shouldn't be long before this is properly resolved. Whether it's by stricter rules or increased modding, I think new artists who want to put their idea forth should be given the opportunity to do so without being dragged down by the spam of the masses. I've gotten used to these forums as being a sort of place of "opportunity", where youngsters and beginners, no matter how unskilled or naive, could interact with experienced hackers and obtain the guidance needed to become great hackers themselves, with the proper dedication. This site really shouldn't become the "Smogon" of hacking (I love firebot and CAP and all, but you get the point).

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
The Scrapbox is a sub-section, having a sub-section moderator would be pretty ludicrous. ^^ But, the Scrapbox will be deleted because of an agreement between higher staff and the moderation team. Also, you really think stricter rules will stop being spamming? If they want to spam, they'll spam. They don't give a flying fladoodle how strict the rules are. Most people don't read them anyway. Also, with this note a complete overhaul of the Progressing Hacks sub-section rules and conditions will come about. Me and Christos are actually in agreement that we're going to be changing up the current rules of pretty much every section. Mainly because of experience, adding new rules, and new custom infractions etc. The only two sections that are unlikely to have a rule change are both the Hacks Showcase and R&D sub-sections. For differentiating reasons. The showcase, we are perfectly content with the rules. And R&D's rules are pretty new and the section looks extremely promising at the moment. In terms of the Progressing Hacks rules changing, we're mostly going to add a quality clause, much like in the Hacks Showcase rules. Where me and Christos have a moderator discretion ruling on whether the hack is too ridiculous for the section. Such as someone making one map full of tile errors and taking four screenshots. We will NOT be allowing hacks like such a place in the forum. So no need to fret there.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
The Scrapbox is a sub-section, having a sub-section moderator would be pretty ludicrous. ^^ But, the Scrapbox will be deleted because of an agreement between higher staff and the moderation team. Also, you really think stricter rules will stop being spamming? If they want to spam, they'll spam. They don't give a flying fladoodle how strict the rules are. Most people don't read them anyway. Also, with this note a complete overhaul of the Progressing Hacks sub-section rules and conditions will come about. Me and Christos are actually in agreement that we're going to be changing up the current rules of pretty much every section. Mainly because of experience, adding new rules, and new custom infractions etc. The only two sections that are unlikely to have a rule change are both the Hacks Showcase and R&D sub-sections. For differentiating reasons. The showcase, we are perfectly content with the rules. And R&D's rules are pretty new and the section looks extremely promising at the moment. In terms of the Progressing Hacks rules changing, we're mostly going to add a quality clause, much like in the Hacks Showcase rules. Where me and Christos have a moderator discretion ruling on whether the hack is too ridiculous for the section. Such as someone making one map full of tile errors and taking four screenshots. We will NOT be allowing hacks like such a place in the forum. So no need to fret there.

the players view is 7x7 T_T so a simple script that makes a guy say I'll show you the way^ next to some random trees counts as one screenshot no? as long as you can't recongnise the place where he is....

Wow, this thread went to the deep end real fast. :(

Proof of what I said is in this thread.

yea that was really curseful of you :( you jinxed it !!!!

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
The only ludicrous part of this is that you actually want to do this. My ideas as well as others are completely legitimate yet you ignore them. It seems that you have a hatred for something that could be really useful. Instead of rug reasonable you just shut down and ignore all the other ideas. To be honest it looks like the staff is arrogant. He scrapbox is a great place because people that are new to hacking can gain experience and get advice. True almost all hacks in there go nowhere but that's part of the learning process. Kids aren't deprived of their learning opportunity in school if they make a mistake or do somethign wrong so why are you doing that here? If you don't feel like helping them then leave it to the people that want to help. So many of you complain about the current hacking worlds condition but then reject any chance to fix it. Anyone behind he closure is a hypocrit because they are worsening he situation that they want improved.

The Ominous Plains

I'll make Userbars for You!
Years
Alas, the dreamers refuge gone forever.
Well It should prompt people to acctually work on hacks.
I'm guilty of posting ideas and not updating before anyone calles me hippocrytical.

rockeymon

Real life Silver Shirubaa
Years
I am glad to see this go it means I have to put some work into my hacks befor sending them out lol, there will be consequences though because then people who don't sit down and read the Proggressing hacks rules will spam PH with hacks.

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
Years
This is somewhat of a bummer, but it is a good idea, Thanks.

.light

Airplanes in the night sky...
Years
Hmm... I'm against this, but what's done is done. Despite all the SPAM and things like that, there are some gems there. So... It gets rid of the SPAM I guess... Despite some good ideas in there, but the amount of SPAM and abandoned things outweigh the gems... Shame really. No-one to blame really but the SPAMers and the hackers who created the request threads.
And dont forget the ones who make the help walkthroughs ;)

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
yay!!~~ good thing I copypasta my thread on my forum so it wont get delete. Good job staff! I saw my fair share of "hur this is my idea it remake" and other stuff. I hope the new hackers c an learn not to be lazy and actually work until they can make a thread.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
That isn't how I interpreted it. I see it as the staff taking the easy way out instead of solving the problem.

How is this the easy way out? Really this was the only option no matter what is said. So much of what is here is utter crap! I mean really how can half of these be considered good ideas >.>. In all realty it is a curtain where noobs can post half ass ideas and have their own community within a community. So many users active in here barely shed light in the other sections and they need to get a taste of real hacking.

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years
How is this the easy way out? Really this was the only option no matter what is said. So much of what is here is utter crap! I mean really how can half of these be considered good ideas >.>. In all realty it is a curtain where noobs can post half ass ideas and have their own community within a community. So many users active in here barely shed light in the other sections and they need to get a taste of real hacking.
I agree the scrapbox is utter crap according to the threads as well seriously 2,515 Threads. the scrapbox has to go now that i think about it but the problem is that. Progressing hacks Will need to Step up and make it harder for your hacks to be approved cause you could have crappy hacks in it with crap screenshots and stuff

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022

I agree the scrapbox is utter crap according to the threads as well seriously 2,515 Threads. the scrapbox has to go now that i think about it but the problem is that. Progressing hacks Will need to Step up and make it harder for your hacks to be approved cause you could have crappy hacks in it with crap screenshots and stuff

Yes, and Anthony La posted earlier that is preventable. The mods due take their job seriously and if this were to happen someone would bring it to attention and solve the issue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back